MK-Breed wine reds

Shrimpscales

I just received some mk- breed wine reds and wanted to share some pictures. I have to be honest here, i am a little disappointed with the quality. I got these hoping add them to my wine reds to improve quality while introducing new blood to my colony. Well i will have new blood but these are not nearly as good as my current wine reds. It brings to mind some advice i am always giving to my children. Dont pay extra just for a brand name!post-471-0-90342100-1430342329_thumb.jpgpost-471-0-00975000-1430342344_thumb.jpgpost-471-0-18065900-1430342361_thumb.jpgpost-471-0-37590600-1430342390_thumb.jpgpost-471-0-42015700-1430342403_thumb.jpg

Here is two of mine about the same age.post-471-0-54313300-1430342494_thumb.jpgpost-471-0-02793900-1430342710_thumb.jpg

Oh well, if anything i did learn two things. My own shrimp are better than i was giving them credit for and i have not been charging nearly enough for them. lol

I dont want to sound like i am bashing mk-Breed or that his shrimp are all low quality. We have all seen the pictures and know his are some of the best. I guess when you put in the time and money it takes to earn a name like that even your lower quality shrimp will fetch a higher price than normal. Maybe my expectations were just too high for the money i spent and the name behind them.

You have to wait for at least couple weeks.

Can't judge it after been through all the stress during shipping.

Maybe the pictures are not good enough to show my point. If you could see them in person it would be obvious that the patterns are all faulty. They cant be considered panda or lined in my opinion. I probably shouldnt say it but i believe these shrimp would have been culled from the breeding pool because of their faulty patterns. I get these shrimp once in a while in my tank and thats how i think of them. I almost didnt even say anything just to avoid confrontation and not get anyone upset over the deal. But if we continue to accept low grade shrimp without question or complaint i am sure over seas breeders will be happy to sell them to us thinking we dont know any better. 

It's hard to say anything because like you said photos are never 100% true. I seen someone take pictures of low quality CRS and make them look amazing with a little light touches but with that in mind I would say give them a chance.

One thing I notice is how they have the classic light red color that original WR's use to have. This has almost gone extinct here in the US because we always have a bad habit of mixing them with BKK and end up with dark dragon patterns. If they stay true to their light red and show no marks of dragon then maybe separate them and start a true WR colony.

And I also can easily spot the poor pattern you mention how their bans are not full but rather broken.

ahh I see what you are saying Shrimpscales.  I had no real idea of what pattern is acceptable on RW  so I didnt even notice the broken pattern.  I was just looking at the color.   If that pattern makes it not a real RW  you should contact the seller and get a refund.  I am sure you paid a lot of money for them and expected to get a superior shrimp. 

What I saw you have four shrimps with stripe pattern. it's the classic looking two stripes KK.

You can see it from the following chart in ruby red:

post-231-0-34202900-1430410654_thumb.jpg

the color is not looking right yet. but only time can tell.

This is one of mine from MK-Breed.

You can see the white is not solid, and red is not looking correct, legs are not full red. but it's just in the new tank for couple days.

I won't judge it by now.

Keep it in ideal condition in couple months and wait it growing up. I'm sure it would look different.

post-231-0-39265100-1430411344_thumb.jpg

I recieved a ruby red recently (not an MK Breed) and when I acclimated it and had it in the tank I was actually quite dissappointed.  It has been three weeks and he has turned into a gorgeous red color with super solid clean white markings. I have never had a red wine or ruby red so I did not know what to expect but it seems like their color can change from shipping similar to neos.  I am very pleased with the color of the red (dragon) and opacity of the white.  I do understand your concerns Shrimpscales on the pattern issue.  The ruby red I recieved has very nice clean stipes except it has two stipes on one side and on the other side it is a one stripe. I actually like the look of him almost like two separate shrimp. But I do see in your pictures how the white has uneven edges and that I would not be super happy about. Since I know where you got the shrimp from I would contact them about your concerns, I have recieved very high quality shrimp so far from them.

I understand what he's trying to point out now. I think he's referring to the pattern not the color. He doesnt think the broken edges in the white stripe or something like makes them low grade.. thats a good question I've never noticed if the white stripe should have a consistent shape? 

I don't think there is a standard for ruby red. the first photo looks quite classic as two stripes ruby red.

and I don't think ruby red would breed true either.

post-231-0-71448000-1430412914.jpg

I wasn't aware it should have a specific shape to the pattern?  Different patterns (incomplete or not) pop out of different breedings. (?)

No, it's all over the place, you can only selective breeding the pattern you like, but it's far from breeding true.

I got WR from BKK parents.

I'm sure WR would breed BKK offspring as well. 

Like i said before, i guess my expectations were just too high. I am in the process of cycling three new tanks now that i will dedicate to red taiwan bees. I want to see how nice they can be and if i can get them to breed true patterns and colors.

I think your current situation is normal when it comes with buying shrimps, especially when buying a brand name. But, I think you are in every right (as a buyer) to voice your opinions on what you bought. If you paid a fair price, it’s fair to have a pre-set expectation for what you are to receive. I would say a many here would agree that as a buyer, you are ENTITLED to voice your concerns when it’s bad and provide your praises when it’s good. It’s not unreasonable for you to voice your thoughts, afterall, this is an open forum and honest reviews are always welcomed and they help others avoid making the same mistake (not saying this purchase was a mistake).

Honestly, your TBs are amongst some of the nicest I’ve seen in NA. It’s always going to be the case and point of “show the best, sell the rest” when it comes to selling shrimps. A nice picture speaks a thousand words, and apparently can sell a thousand products/shrimps.

NA have such high praises for brands. We’re all trained too well to recognize brands and give praises to brands that it becomes detrimental to even start selling brand name shrimps now-a-days.

The fairest thing to do is give it a few weeks (if these were recently acclimated) for their colors to show. Who knows, maybe the bands and color density will thicken up. I’ve had really poor looking shrimps become really beautiful overtime. Shipping is stressful so it’s hard to tell the true colors of shrimps.

Anywhoses, I wanted to post this to acknowledge you for your bravery. I feel like it’s so easy to post positive reviews that it can create an environment whereas those with negative experiences refuses to voice themselves because they fear they’d be blacklisted.

I think you are brave too.  I had a bad experience with a well known seller  who everybody loves and didnt breathe a word of it or leave a bad review because I was afraid people would be mad at me .  I just took the loss.   I just left no feedback either way.   And NO I wont tell anyone who it was so no PMS .   LOL

Honestly you need to give them a week or 2 to get acclimated and settled.. At that point if the density of color is still lacking I would contact the seller, and just let them know you feel the quality was sub par, especially if you paid a premium for them.