Huh??? Im horrified

I thought shrimp are shimp safe?   I just saw one of my large Mischling females eating a baby shrimp!     She had babies recently so it was probably even her own baby.   

I know what you are thinking .. "It must have been dead"  that's what I figured too so I stuck one of my feeding sticks in and poked her.. she jumped and let go of the baby and it darted away on its own volition!

Has anyone ever seen this before or do I have evil satanic mentally disturbed shrimp?

Only. I mean only.

the shrimplet is very weak and dying, if not dead already.

I caught my Amano shrimp doing this to the RCS. I through the Amano in with some goramies since they were the same size. I thin it's related to a lack of protein in there diet since shrimp are naturally scavengers.

have a gneiss day

James it didnt look weak or dying.. it was nice brightly colored and when I poked momma the baby zipped off quickly.   But I guess anything is possible... We are having our first bout of hot weather for the year here and trying to keep the tank temps stable with the hot days and cold nights has been a challenge.   I guess I could have weakened the babies.  

It could have happened during a molt. The mom smelled the shell and came lookin, but got the baby while it was still soft. My PRL tank has regular kills by other PRLs. The female molts, but there are so many males that they become super aggressive and kill the female while trying to mate. Currently working on separating most of the male riff raff...lol