Help me build my first shrimp tank journal.

00camaro16

Ok so I worked a bit on the light today... I'm not sure I like the way it looks but was just my first idea/try I have enough LED's to make a few. Here it is so far...

quje2emu.jpg

I still have to soder them but that's easy. It just pic cut at length them in half to create one 90° light and two 45°. Hopefully this will create a nice spread while still being low light. I'll soder it up tomorrow and see what's it's like.

I also ordered some salty 7.5, salty gh+, and powder food in planning for malawas.

Dry start is going along. I'm just dry starting the fissidens to have it attach to the substrate. It's turning a great green, but doesn't look like there is any new growth yet. I'm conteplating adding Pheonix or mini-Christmas moss somewhere since I already have it.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

What did you use use for the "holder"?

Holder? Guess I don't know which part your talking about so I'll explain both.

The black part the lights are stuck too is just a pvc pipe ripped long ways in half, painted black and cleared.

I think I'm going to hang it by picture wire off a stand thing I'll make, or just lay it on top of the tank, depends on how it looks once lite up.

Chris

Do the LEDs give off heat?

They shouldnt, but I will update tomorrow once I turn them on for awhile.

But these are made to go into some flammable areas so I kinda doubt it.

Chris

Ok so I worked a bit on the light today... I'm not sure I like the way it looks but was just my first idea/try I have enough LED's to make a few. Here it is so far...Posted Image{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif uploadfromtaptalk1401675347828.jpgI still have to soder them but that's easy. It just pic cut at length them in half to create one 90° light and two 45°. Hopefully this will create a nice spread while still being low light. I'll soder it up tomorrow and see what's it's like.I also ordered some salty 7.5, salty gh+, and powder food in planning for malawas.Dry start is going along. I'm just dry starting the fissidens to have it attach to the substrate. It's turning a great green, but doesn't look like there is any new growth yet. I'm conteplating adding Pheonix or mini-Christmas moss somewhere since I already have it.ChrisSent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Awesome looks great! I like the idea, I need to work on mine.. have family in till Friday ugh..so hard to not go do my own thing for a few hours. Did you get the speed clips or solder your own wire?

-Chris

Actually trying to solder it now. My skills in solder are barely passable but they're functional.

Actually trying to solder it now. My skills in solder are barely passable but they're functional.

Yea my skills aren't great either when it comes to soldering.

-Chris

The different types of solder mess me up.

It's the having no Flux thing that's messing with me now. But,

Posted Image

I have to re-do the soldering for the final light but this was more to see how much light it would give off with how much spread. I'll update tonight with a picture of that.

Chris

Did The silicone over the metal pads come off pretty easy?

-Chris

Depends. I just took a razor blade and cut the Silicon but made sure not to cut the computer. It takes a detailed touch but I'm used to cutting paper without scratching clear coat so I was used to it. I would say it is annoying and takes longer then it should but not hard.

After soldering I think it might be easier to just melt the Silicon off. But, it will look brown and ugly.

I'm not happy with version 1. It will working but doesn't look good enough for my ocd.

Chris

I read to make the LEDs brighter, you can connect the electricity to both ends.

Not sure what you mean. 100% 1 of my electrical knowledge cos from car audio, and that sounds like running a system in 2 ohms instead of 4 to raise the wattage to each speaker. So makes sense to me but not in this context.

Chris

Just repeating what someone had done: "OK you non-engineers...If you are using the whole length, try feeding current from "both" ends so that the resistance is cut in half, therefore the brightness is equal at both ends. This can be done bu using a two conductor speaker cable (if waterproof is not required) and hooking it up at the opposite end." http://www.meritline.com/waterproof-led-strips-white-16-feet---p-72364.aspx

This is also interesting: "Trying with better power supply, whole roll draws 1.29 A and lights brighter. Still not good enough for closet or room lighting, but enough for under cabinet lighting. Power supply I used was rated for 2A, yet was not even able to produce 1A. 3A worked better. I'd say it is safer to use power supply rated for double of what is required. "

Just repeating what someone had done: "OK you non-engineers...If you are using the whole length, try feeding current from "both" ends so that the resistance is cut in half, therefore the brightness is equal at both ends. This can be done bu using a two conductor speaker cable (if waterproof is not required) and hooking it up at the opposite end." http://www.meritline.com/waterproof-led-strips-white-16-feet---p-72364.aspx

I can see that, but there is so little draw on LEDS, I think the difference over 2ft X 3 would be minimal.

But something to defiantly look into.

Chris

Whoot! It's hard to see through the algea, but a bee shrimp survived and is out and about.

bypuzuru.jpg

Chris

So my crap soldering I wasn't happy with anyways broke on the way transporting it from work home. I was going to re-do it anyways.

1 stripe still worked so I decided to try it out.

Room lights on LEDS off

Posted Image

Room lights on LEDS on

Posted Image

Room lights off LED's off

Posted Image

Room lights off LED's on

Posted Image

I am thinking 3 stripes is unneeded so I'm going to solder 2 stripes tomorrow now that I have Flux and the right soldering tool.

Chris

Hummm, I like that idea, but too big for just two strips. Would be great for a highlight build.

I thought of two options

1. Cut a glass strip from what sheet Glass I have let over from making my 6 Gallon tank. and do a modern type light hood.

2. Since I paid my way through college working construction, I Know a decent amount of people with access to a break, I can just bend my own.

I'm going to try and work on that light throughout the week, but I might have to fill the tank soon to get it cycled. I just found out the algea I have been fighting is not hair algea, it's Spirogyra. Which seems the hardest to get rid of. Since it thrives with plants, I can't just over gas Co2 and dose ferts. Only thing I found that even has a small percentage of success is using Algeafix, which would kill all the shrimp & maybe the fish. I hope it wont transfer to the other tank.

Would dipping the cycled sponge filters in peroxide kill all the good bacteria I grew?

Chris