Break down of shrimp species and variations?

I was thinking, as a new hobbies to shrimp, it would be nice to get a list of shrimp species and variations like TPT has for plants.

I understand it could be hard with all the independent strands people work on by themselves, but maybe the main ones people could get from multiple sources.

Information could include parameters, breeding successes and info, grading, what they can be mixed with or not, accessibility, and any other information to allow someone to get a general idea of many different shrimp all at once, not just what a single store has availability.

Could save a lot of similar, easily answered questions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That could be useful. I remember see a chart on a Web site that showed what species could be kept together and that could not. It was limited to commercially available variants of the species. I think this could be expanded further to include tank peramiters for compatability. Again sticking to commercially sold species. Just to clarify my diffusion of commercially available would be any species available on a ongoing basis from either stores or net based business. I'm not saying to eliminate strains produced by individual breeders all together but omit them from this.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

Planet inverts has an old spreadsheet of shrimp that indicates whether they will breed or not, will see if I can find it later (but a quick google ought to bring it up). It's older, I think, and some of the names are different if I remember, but it's nice for those just getting into it to see all the varieties of Neo and Card listed out so you don't have to remember if Snowball or Snow White will breed with Blue Bolt or Blue Pearl, e.g.

Of course, we'd hope you'd know the species of something you're going to get so you know the conditions to prepare for, but it's a good starting spot. The other caveat is the constant naming variation with new varieties, but, hey, I loved staring at it and dreaming.

(Also, "My name is Pika, and sometimes I like staring at spreadsheets... The first step is admitting you have a problem")

ETA: Here it is... http://www.planetinverts.com/ShrimpBreedingChart.pdf

Shrimp compatibility chart

This One?

I agree those are nice, but I think it would be better to have everything here in one place including parameters...

Maybe even set it up so stores who advertise here (givers/donaters/members) who have them in stock could be listed? might bring in some funds to cover some opperating costs

I think it should be run on a tab at the top of the page where it sais forums, member, blog etc. have it say 'shrimp breakdown' or something like that. Run that tab and then have sections for cardina neo cardina so on and so forth. And then next to each section have an example photo so people know wich they are going into. Clicking that link have it go to each name common name and a photo and clicking on those gets you to ideal parameters. This would not be something for wil to do by himself though it would take all of our help sending him info on what we have kept, what parameters they thrived in for us, and the tank st ups we had to give people a general explanation on how to keep specific species. And then at the bottom have a cross breeding and keeping chart

These charts get really big really fast.  I would love if we could design something with a dropdown that you pick your species and it populates what's compatible.  I just don't know how to do the programming behind it. 

Does anyone know how to get a hold of the person that owns the archived ShrimpKeeping.com information.

I would love to ask them for permission to use some of their information on my new site that I am building.

It will have a drop down menu of each species and all of the information I can build and categorize for each one.

It will be awhile though while I am building the site.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to get a hold of the person that owns the archived ShrimpKeeping.com information.

I would love to ask them for permission to use some of their information on my new site that I am building.

It will have a drop down menu of each species and all of the information I can build and categorize for each one.

It will be awhile though while I am building the site.

I think I emailed him once let me check to see if I have it. Pretty sure I do.

-Chris