Who ships shrimp in hot weather?

littlebirdie

I have lots of beautiful PRLs I need to thin out of that tank.  I have never shipped shrimp and wondered what you guys to when shipping in the heat?  If you use a cool pack, what size?  How to you place it to keep the shrimp from getting too cold? Do you recommend making your own insulated boxes out of sheet of styrofoam?  What do you recommend for insulation inside the box?  I thought I would do a test shipping or two but want to have the right system down.  Thanks for any help!

I haven't shipped shrimp yet myself so I'm sure you'll get more useful advice from others. However, I really liked the way I received the shrimp that were shipped to me and I intend to duplicate the method when/if I do start shipping. Mine came in box filled with pink fiberglass insulation. The shrimp were safely tucked in the middle in a Kordon breather bag. That seemed to me like a great method since it provided both temperature insulation and padding. Mine were shipped in mild weather so no heat or cold pack was included; I look forward to hearing suggestions from others regarding the placement of those things. 

I hope you'll update this topic once you've done some experimenting and let us know what worked well for you. Good luck!

In North Carolina we are going into out hottest time.  I know there are lots of places even hotter.  That plus the lack of respect packages get from USPS makes me want to hear advice from whoever has any.  I agree that the pink fiberglass insulation is the way to go.  I think a small cold pack outside of this taped to the lid of the styrofoam might be enough. Anyone tried this?

I can't seem to find where I bought my ice packs from but I remember buying the smallest ones. You just need a single small one. Try to tuck it in the package so that it is as far away from the shrimps as possible so the water doesn't get too cold. Definitely insulate your boxes with Styrofoam sheets. Either buy them from Home Depot and cut them to desired size, or purchase pre-cut ones. I recommend http://www.aqpkg.com/Styro-Liners.html. I use styrofoam peanuts inside the box but almost anything would work. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Miwu!!!  I think I am going to do a test shipping when the cold packs come as a RAOK so look for it everyone!

I did a trick that someone from Vietnam told me about, and it worked perfectly.

You wrap your shrimp bags (usually kordon breather ones) with some sort of insulation, bubble wrap, fiberglass etc, then you take ice cubes and wrap them in newspaper and pack them around the outside of the insulated bags.  The ice cubes keep the box cool, and as they melt the newspaper absorbs the water and the cold newspaper still keeps the box cool.

You have to have some sort of Styrofoam insulation too to stop any wet from leaking through to the cardboard box, so maybe put the newspaper/ice cubes in plastic bags around the insulated shrimps, just in case.

My shrimps arrived alive and frisky after a 2 day trek in hot vans etc.

Does everyone do next day shipping or priority and hold for pick up? What about shipping coast to coast? We have a business that ships all the time but shipping livestock is so different. I know it is customer's choice but say I did ROAK how would you ship?

I will tell you how I ship shrimp in hot weather:

1. I use the 7x7x6 USPS Priority Box as most do
  2. Insulate the box with pre cut Styrofoam pieces
  3. Add a sheet of newspaper to the bottom
  4. I then add another Styrofoam piece parallel to one of the sides dividing the box into thirds or fourth. This creates a small cavity on the side of the box protected and surrounded by styrofoam
  5. Add a few packing peanuts at bottom
  6. Add breather bag with shrimp into the larger portion of the segmented box
  7. Add packing peanuts on top
  8. Smaller segment I then wrap my cold pack(s) with newspaper and insert into the small cavity, top off with packing peanuts
  9. Add another sheet of newspaper over entire box, then add top Styrofoam piece to seal.
  10. Ready to ship 

Hopefully that description of my shipping process wasn't to vague. There's a million different ways, but importantly don't allow the cold pack to be near the shrimp as we don't want the temperature of the water to plummet.

Thanks so much, DETaquarium!  Just the details I needed!  Since you ship from Ga. I am glad you weighed in...hotter than we are down there for sure!

Thanks so much, DETaquarium!  Just the details I needed!  Since you ship from Ga. I am glad you weighed in...hotter than we are down there for sure!

Absolutely no problem. It gets extremely hot at this time, but package the same or similar to what I suggested and you shouldn't have any problems. I always ship out first thing in the morning, I think the more time the package isn't outside the better.

Insulated box, breather bags, cold packs. Ship with hold for pickup at post office. This way they are always in the AC. They are fine until they are delivered and the heat rises to 100F plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i recieved 14 shrimp in a breather bag in a cardboard box with only styrofoam peanuts. they came from wisconsin to me in georgia. it was in the 90's here but after 3 days of priority mail, they arived in my mailbox all 14 alive! So I say as long as you have insulation your good.

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/6856-new-library-article-bossaquarias-how-to-ship-shrimp-successfully-100-live-arrival-guarantee/

this may be a helpful thread for you here. it describes more or less how the top breeders in oz ship shrimp. ive only shipped mine in the cooler months so far but i did receive some when it was almost 40C (approx 100F)

love n peace

will

So this year I've tried something new. I read that the R factor in using cellulose is due to the small trapped air pockets.

So, says I, if I pack the fluff tightly inside the styro, the outide environment won't be a problem.

I've always felt when using fluff, the cold pack was too isolated to lower temp in the box much anyway.

The result shipping this year in 90 deg weather? Not a temp related death yet! Even through late arrival of packages.

Just my results.