HELP Continuous Shrimp Deaths

jledermann

Ahhh man....been there...that really sucks. Sorry you are dealing with this. I wish I could help but I tried everything when it happened to me but my colony dwindled to just a handful. It's a very crappy, helpless feeling. Hope someone can guide you through this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine wasn't illness related. It was many years ago after I ordered a bunch of aquatic plants. The shrimp immediately came to inspect the plants and started swimming around actively. I thought they were eating biofilm or that it somehow triggered breeding activity. I was a beginner then so I had no idea that this was unusual behavior. Over time, I started losing shrimp daily. I tried all sorts of thing but they kept dying.

Never figured out for sure what caused it but I ultimately concluded that the farm these plants came from likely dipped them in some copper based pesticide to kill snails before shipping. I didn't think to soak and rinse the plants so when I put them in the tank, the shrimp went nuts.

The crazy thing was there was nothing I could do to stop or slow the death toll. I'd find dead shrimp daily. Others seemed to be alive but didn't move much and literally fell over when I touched them with a stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still 2-3 shrimps die a day, it seems its only my princess bee shrimp, the CRS and wine reds seem to be doing fine.. so deflating these things lived through some serious neglect and now I'm doing everything I can and they're dying.. makes no sense, must have got some sort of bacteria or contaminant in the tank 

have you considered throwing in the towel and starting a new tank.  even if its a small desktop tank for a little while. Move them over and then overhaul the tank you have or go buy one from petco dollar a gallon sale?  

I have a tank of death also.  In the process of cycling a new one. I tried for over a year to solve the issue.   Mine is not exactly the same.  For me,  i could get no babies to survive and females all died as soon as they started to breed and berry.  The shrimp all act completely healthy until they just die.  No signs of infection or sickness.    Ive read so many of these stories and Im not sure Ive seen anyone succeed in fixing a tank once these mystery deaths start happening. 

Thanks for the reply, I have considered it and I'm actually waiting for controsoil to come in so I can start the cycle on my 10 gal. Its crazy, it seems like almost a situation similar to early settlers and native Americans with small pox, I've added CRS and wine red pandas and they all seem to be doing fine only 1 or 2 deaths which I always anticipate, but this introduction has triggered my original stock to drastically die off. Maybe the CRS introduced a bacteria they are resistant to but my stock had no antibodies for. I don't want to move any stock outside this tank for fear of contamination of other tanks and stocks. I will let this tank run its course and do everything I can to try and stabilize it. If everything dies it dies and I'll start the tank over but I really don't want to lose all my plants and such. I'm going to start a shadow panda and wine red tank in my 10 gal and try and move forward with them and if the tank goes completely under break it down and transfer the wine red and shadow pandas into that crashed tank upon restart.

The following thread may shed a little light on what James is alluding to. The entire thread is worth a read, but you may find page 2 particularly illuminating.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3386-the-green-fungus/?hl= green fungus

Ahh illuminating indeed. Possibly explains a bunch of my past issues, including my latest attempt this spring. I kept the empty tank going for some plants and wood. Unfortunately I put a few plants from there into one I've been cycling for a few weeks now. Wish I found this thread earlier. :( Just tore it down and chucked the old stuff and got out the bleach. It's better to do this now than have yet another frustrating go at it. I appreciate the help from all you folks, may have saved me a bunch more time and $$.

yeah man thats what this is all about! I'm glad I know to avoid that dealer now and others who read this do too and anything else you may learn by having some great opinions thrown around. Yeah I've had this tank running for 3+ years and worse comes to worse I have a pair of 6 year old dwarf puffers that would absolutely love to call it their new home. 

Maybe it's a bacterial infection? After I rule out water params, temperature, trace, etc. I dose maracyn 2 to combat bacteria infection, this has ended my string of deaths every time.

Curious.... I have been feeding Borneo Wild Multipara for a few days now in small amounts injunction to other things to try and get some extra vitamins in their system and today has been the first day with zero deaths in about 3 weeks, granted the shrimp there were dying are down about 80% from the original so it could just be the healthy resilant ones left

things seemed to be going fine, added tiny amount bacter AE premixed because I haven't in about a week, 2 dead shrimps when I got home from a buddys house last night... not going to add bacter AE for a while and see whats going on with that...

things seemed to be going fine, added tiny amount bacter AE premixed because I haven't in about a week, 2 dead shrimps when I got home from a buddys house last night... not going to add bacter AE for a while and see whats going on with that...

I noticed that when I dose Bacter AE, it causes a pH spike.

which makes sense since the water has such low tds ph buffering capacity is very low causing the water to be subject to swing, could be a factor!