Types of substrates

I swear by Azoo Plant Grower Bed soil for Tiger shrimp.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I haven't heard of this substrate and am kind of enamored with Tigers. Can you tell us more about this substrate and why you like it for Tigers specifically?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I haven't heard of this substrate and am kind of enamored with Tigers. Can you tell us more about this substrate and why you like it for Tigers specifically?

Sure. It is an active substrate that does not leach ammonia and it is not as powerful as ADA aquasoil. I find that it brings down my pH to 6.8-ish, and this is where I have had success with Tigers. ADA aquasoil is more difficult to make work with Tigers, although you can do it.

Sure. It is an active substrate that does not leach ammonia and it is not as powerful as ADA aquasoil. I find that it brings down my pH to 6.8-ish, and this is where I have had success with Tigers. ADA aquasoil is more difficult to make work with Tigers, although you can do it.

Interesting. Thank you.

I would say Brightwell is your next bet because Marfled makes both Controsoil and Brightwell. Unless you can get your hands on Glas-Garten Environment soil.

Is brightwell right under controsoil for which is better? Or are they on the same level? I ask this because I never heard any of you guys use brightwell soil, does it have any problems such as the ones who are experiencing problems with controsoil?

See here :P Not sure which is "better" as I have never used Controsoil, but suspect they are VERY similar. I can tell you that I have had no problems while using it in 3 tanks. Great plant growth too.  I do NOT dose anything to any of the tanks however. I just had a LFS order it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Save yourself some headaches and buy the ADA soil, there's nothing like it and will save you the frustration. I've used all types and none of them work as good. Taiwan Bees are expensive, hard to keep and like soft water. Spend the little extra and ensure your shrimp will survive or the alternative kill a bunch of 20-30$ a shrimp and you'll be starting another tank with it to save the rest.

(I did this myself lol)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When setting up a new tank with Brightwell, I normally use 1-1.5" coverage. I don't heavily plant tanks, so don't need the extra depth for root systems and the like.

As for PH - I normally settle in the low to mid 6's. 6 - 6.4 is normal in the various tanks