My 20 Gallon Long Sulawesi Tank

mayphly

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm finaly ready for some Sulawesi shrimp. Here are my "stable" parameters

Do these parameters sound about right?

Ph-8.1

TDS- 170

GH- 7

KH- 5

Temps- 82

I've been running this tank for about two months now and have some great algae and biofilm buid up.

I was just checking my tank and found this guy hanging out in it. Yesterday I did a water change in my 12g which houses blue diamond shrimp. I took 3 huge amazon frogbit plantlets out of the tank. They were covered in duckweed. Since I don't want duckweed in my Sulawesi tank I washed it all off in the sink under regular tap water and threw them in the 20L. He must have been hanging on for dear life while under the faucet. He seems totaly fine. He went from 72 deg to 82 deg water. This guy is one lucky son of a shrimp!

He just wants to experience how is life down at Sulawesi.

Ha!! Yeah, he's going on vacation to an exotic locale...why is it always a rough trip!?

Looks like the tank is coming along great, good luck.

• 1 month later...

Today I received 11 cardinals from Speedie. The one extra one he threw in didn't make it. It looked as if though it became stuck in it's molt. Either way the other ten are happy in their new home and all have colored up nicely. You can see in the pic above that some turned blue probably due to stress from their trip. They all have blue on their tails similar to the blue leg poso. I never noticed that before. Very cool! Thanks again Nick!

That cave like rock from SA is not manmade I pick them up where I live usually in dry perrenial river beds where the beds have been solidified.

That cave like rock from SA is not manmade I pick them up where I live usually in dry perrenial river beds where the beds have been solidified.

Yeah, lacerock is a pretty common rock used in aquariums. Aqua Forest does sell manmade rocks which come with some insane pricetags. I had a hard enough time paying $20. for rocks. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi mate, may I ask for an update for your Sulawesi tank? I have been keeping over 3 months and lucky with reproduction rate fingers crossed. Before getting the babies they were hiding behind the rocks, rood but after the babies they got much used to the thank now I see lots of white hands working up and down in the tank :)

Hi mate, may I ask for an update for your Sulawesi tank? I have been keeping over 3 months and lucky with reproduction rate fingers crossed. Before getting the babies they were hiding behind the rocks, rood but after the babies they got much used to the thank now I see lots of white hands working up and down in the tank :)

It's been about a month and I find molts but no berried shrimp yet. Hopefully soon. They were definitely shy at first but have since become comfortable in their surroundings. In the meantime I perform 10% water changes weekly and check on them everyday. If things go well with them I'll add some yellow cheeks. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I'll be damned!!! Babies at last!!! :D

They look to be 2-3 weeks old already. I never even saw the berried mother and I check every day. Yes... I have glasses and never wear them either! Lol!!

post-89-0-73110500-1416105083_thumb.jpg

I guess there must have been more berried females that I couldn't see. Looks like more babies popping up in the tank every time I look. :phew:

• 3 weeks later...

And...........more babies :D

I now do water changes once every two weeks. Every time I do a water change I find molts which is a good sign. I have hair algae growing in this tank which I'm not thrilled about. But, the shrimp love it. I have low light which helps keeping it from over growing.

Yeah... I have timers on all my tanks. I think the hair algae came from a marimo ball that used when I started the tank with high light and ferts. Dam hairy marimo balls!! :angry: The beams work light that I have has a high and low light setting. I keep it on low which helps subdue the algae. Plus manual removal. I run lights for 6 hours a day on the Sulawesi tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing I'm up to at least 50 babies in this tank at the moment. I think this one in the pic is a Christmas baby. The other pic shows how electrifying some of their spots have become.

post-89-0-58102300-1419569771_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-50739900-1419569849_thumb.jpg

Very pretty shrimp Andy!  I love all of your shrimp pics ive been looking into camera set ups....the things I want to buy continually outstrip the amount of money I want to spend. :startle:

Hehe! Very easily done! My cheap lens ain't even cheap!

• 3 weeks later...

I was checking my tank yesterday when I got home from work and found an all blue card in the tank. It appeared to be about a month old in size. I know I read that a few other people have had all blue cards in their tanks. Wondering what ever became of them? If I can find him I'll try an get a pic. I have too many rocks in my tank. I started removing some so I can view my shrimp better.

Are you able to post a pic of it?  I know Silane has claimed to have all blue pop up.  However his pics make me wonder if they aren't a different type of shrimp.

Also, is this after just turning the lights on?

If it pans out to stay that color, 'twould be awesome to selectively breed.  I know I would follow that thread closely!