Can't wait for spring collecting

aquariumlover10

after i moved to north Carolina u lost alot of my passion for shrimp and aquariums in general because i had alot of really good LFS near me and a few secret spots i knew i could always find wild shrimp and fish. I always had most of the small fish species memorized.

after i moved its like i had to relearn all the fish species and spots and stores, but i was just researching and found this.

I'm really excited for spring to go collecting and get a native shrimp tank going.http://www.ncfishes.com/families/aquatic-invertebrates/

Well yes they do! I mostly find Rattlers here out west near a water feature, streams, ponds, and ditches! Just get a good thick pair of hip boots(5 mil. rubber).

yeah, I really want some of the brown shrimp and arrow shrimp.

I hope I can also get some nice plants and fish.

N.C is very nice . To cold for me but a nice state .

They have the nicest looking scarlet kings going because unlike Florida's the N.C type has white bands instead of yellow .

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss290/xxxHERPERxxx/North%20Carolina/NC%20Snakes/Scarlet%20Kingsnake/P1030487.jpg

You also have the fantastic Flying squirrel which you will see at night if you have a bird feeder .

As far as collecting besides shrimp which you are interested in the darters are great .

Collecting is great fun! Good luck. A side note on the snake issue, most bites in the USA are received by young men actively harassing snakes. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.

I agree the snakes want nothing to do with you .

The beetles aquatic or terrestrial are a different story , lol

after i moved to north Carolina u lost alot of my passion for shrimp and aquariums in general because i had alot of really good LFS near me and a few secret spots i knew i could always find wild shrimp and fish. I always had most of the small fish species memorized.

after i moved its like i had to relearn all the fish species and spots and stores, but i was just researching and found this.

I'm really excited for spring to go collecting and get a native shrimp tank going.http://www.ncfishes.com/families/aquatic-invertebrates/

Oh that Arrow Shrimp is unique . Never heard of them.

yeah, I know not to mess with that stuff

cool story, when I was 8 I picked up a rat snake and went to show my mom and she said "THROW THAT DOWN" so I did... At her feet, she wen to pick it up and it bit her...

I wasn't a mean kid I swear.

I really want some more darters, both mine died.

it was sleeting last night and early this morning so I dont think I can get in a run to a creek till after winter.

Glad to hear of your new possibilities for collecting in your new home. The danger of death from snake bite of ANY species is greatly exaggerated. Be careful but don't over worry about the "attack" of any wild snake. I agree that they have a bad press, but far more people are killed each year by dogs,horses, bathtub falls and certainly by other people.

I have searched all my life from age ten(62Years) , coast to coast,until now to find a Live wild rattler in it's natural home . I still have not suceeded, only dead ones.Please don't kill any more. They have it hard enough.Please keep sharing your new aquatic discoveries by sending pix to us.

Sorry to bend the thread, but i really love reptiles, especially rattlers, and i cringe when i hear about needless destruction. BBF

Big Blue Frog, you need to visit MT or AZ. We see live rattlesnakes regularly, tho' we don't panic over them. Just pay attention to the dogs when hiking, and keep some snake shot with you. I leave them be unless they are close to a house. They help with the rodent population.