Hello From Georgia

artgecko

Hello all!

I decided to join because I'm considering getting back into fish and am very much interested in doing a shrimp tank.  Your board came highly recommended on the USA shrimp / plants FB group, so I thought I'd give it a try. 

I last kept fish about 9 years ago and was very heavily into fish keeping during college (I was even a mod on one of the older fish forums, "fishgeeks").  I kept mainly low light planted community tanks (corydoras, plecos, and dwarf cichlids being big favorites with crypts, anubias, and java moss being my go-to plants), but I also kept some species setups and one higher tech planted tank.  During my stint in fish keeping I did keep some invert species, namely mystery snails and MTS.  But I'd also try my hand at the occasional group of ghost shrimp (without much success).  The last project I was contemplating was a small community tank with microrasboras, aspidoras, and shrimp, but life happened and I never got there.  

After leaving fish-keeping, I have since started keeping reptiles and absolutely adore my collection which includes crested geckos, a blue tongue skink, and 11 snakes.. with boas being my favorites. I now find myself with an empty tank... and my thoughts turned again to that small community setup I was considering doing.  I see that the shrimp keeping hobby has come a long way since I last checked into it, which is awesome and I'm looking forward to investigating all the new resources, technology, and strains that are available.  

I'll try to not harass you guys too much with tons of newbie questions, but please feel free to recommend any resources you think I should check out and I will definitly be using the forums search function to troll for all the info I can.  

Thanks for your time and for hosting / participating in such a great forum! 

Welcome Artgecko! I think you will find this group very active and open to any newbie questions you may have . They have been incredibly helpful and encouraging. Enjoy thie addiction, and I'm willing to bet that you will have more than one shrimp tank before the year is out.

Welcome!  Bigbluefrog is a member here and keeps reptiles as well, I believe.  I used to have some reptiles myself.  Eastern hognose, african house snakes, rat snakes, and my favorites were corns along with others.

Shrimp keeping is a very addictive, and a bit different than breeding for genetics.  With caridina shrimp, there is some genetics.  With neocaridina shrimp you tend to work with a bell curve and breed a var or mutation that tends to pop up.

Lots of shrimp to learn about, lots of stunning colors and varieties to appreciate. We're glad you are here!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Soothing Shrimp-  I keep BCI and BCA, Kenyan sand boas, Ball pythons, a western hognose, and a jag. carpet python.  We can't own corns here in GA as it is illegal to keep a native species. :(  I would love to have some though.  

DET aquarium-  Great to know someone else here is from GA.  I probably won't get a setup running until summer, but please let me know if you think you might have some shrimp available for sale.. I'd love to be able to get some shipped in-state. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Soothing Shrimp-  I keep BCI and BCA, Kenyan sand boas, Ball pythons, a western hognose, and a jag. carpet python.  We can't own corns here in GA as it is illegal to keep a native species. :(  I would love to have some though.  

DET aquarium-  Great to know someone else here is from GA.  I probably won't get a setup running until summer, but please let me know if you think you might have some shrimp available for sale.. I'd love to be able to get some shipped in-state. :)

Absolutely, I should be selling once again this year within the next month. I live in Valdosta, so if your close, your always welcome to stop by and avoid shipping costs.

Kenyan Sand boas have some awesome genetics too.  Do you breed them?  You probibly already know this info on them, but here's a great page on ksb morphs https://reptile-collective.myshopify.com/blogs/news/15508596-kenyan-sand-boas

and about breeding them: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Magazines/Reptiles-Magazine/January-2011/African-Treasure/

You can tell I've thought about them before.LOL