I think its time for a Caridina and Neocaridina tree update... don't you?

Ello All!

I haven't made a full introduction yet, I'm Nick and I plan on making an intro in the next weeks once i handle this move back in with two of my college friends and see how may shrimp survive the stress.The aforementioned friends of mine are practicing marine biology and ecology, so they understand the needs of aquatic animals. They're quickly getting into the hobby of planted tanks and shrimping, so i'm giving them each a started colony. meaning... soon I'll be in that WTB section trying to get some shadow pandas, snow whites, etc.

I guess I got off track, in my years of shrimping I've realized that there is always another hybrid to be found. The point is that id like to try and develop a system based on observed breeding that gives us an interactive web-based view of where each variation comes from.

If you'd like to participate, please reply with as long a lineage of your shrimp as you can. (try to include pictures)

Sidenote: I have a degree in Biochemistry, MolecularBiology, and Bioinformatics as well. I have sufficient knowledge in JAVA and Python, capable enough to make this happen. I would be thrilled to help. Send me any concrete knowledge of shrimp lineages!!!

Starting points are the ever-famous neo and caridina charts, but let's try to expand it with an interactive aspect.

Thanks,

Nick

and i wanna see tigers, tibees, and all the other variations of dwarf shrimp treflected in the post!

Looking forward on seeing how this will turn out. I'll post up the lineage of my taitibees as soon as I get a chance to go through my records.

Welcome Mr. F! We are certainly glad to have you. I am getting close to my ultimate goal of producing my own line of Zebra Pinto shrimp. Once completed I can give you the crosses and how many generations it took to achieve my goal.

Thank you for all the quick responses! :thumbsu: I'm glad everyone is as excited about this as I am. I'm still choosing a platform/program to build it on, but I will most likely exploit the inherent data structure of Python dictionary trees and it should come out in a very clear and easy to use format.

Furthermore, I agree with Soothing. This first venture will be cards, so stick with that for now.

As soon as anyone has VERIFIED lineages, please post with all the information you know about the line, any other genes present in the line, PICTURES (pleaseeeee!), and I would also like the original origin of parent shrimp if known, just to see if we can get deeper!

I will likely make this either a python based webpage or a flash application viewable through an HTML page which I will likely host myself for the time being, but ultimately I'd like to speak with some admins about some hosting space once all is said and done.

Alright people, let's do this!

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Between real work and research at the lab, I'm pretty busy. But this falls into both my profession and my (obsessive) hobby, so I'll be doing as much work as possible on compiling the data you all can bring me. I need to decide on the functionality the program will have, so suggestions please! From there I can create a user friendly interface, like a website... Maybe an app? Any input on features you'd like to see or other aforementioned items is not only welcomed, but encouraged. I plan to delegate jobs to those willing.

First one is for everyone:

Assemble a list of as many true w/t caridina you know. The more contributors, the better!

Last thing! Post lineages here in a format that makes sense! Please include pictures if you can! Other input and ideas can be DMd, or posted here if it's s really, really good idea ;]

Thanks SS, you dah best! :D

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk