very low growing emersed plant suggestions needed

Soothing Shrimp

Soothing, sorry for posting this question in your topic but...

Is baby tears plant that you can buy in plant nurseries same with aquatic baby tears? (I'm embarassed that I don't know this)

I think the land plant is Soleirolia soleirolii, while the aquatic plant is Hemianthus micranthemoides. :)

Hemianthus micranthemoides aka HM, is a different plant than what Steve R posted.

Its also known as Pearl weed. It will carpet but the leaves are a totally different shape than dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides)

Pictures below :thumbsu:

Hemianthus micranthemoides (giant baby tears, pearlweed, HM)

Hemianthusmicranthemoides.jpg

hemianthus callitrichoides (Dwarf Baby Tears, HC)

Hemianthuscallitrichoides3.jpg

Hope that helps.

Emersed HC with good light stays REALLY short. I honestly don't know of anything that's going to be smaller.       I have some in a tray I grew from seed, and its 1/2" high at most.

You might be able to find a terrestrial moss that stays shorter

This shaggy kind of look is what I'm going for.

vivarium_cliff_by_xaviertual.jpg

I just don't see hc or baby tears having this look. Would java grown emersed or some other aquatic moss grown emersed do this? Thoughts?

Live sphagnum moss, perhaps?

In my search for terrarium plants I've come across a few mosses people use.

People have used riccia and Java moss. You have to make sure they stay moist/wet constantly though.

Some terrestrial mosses like "sheet moss" may work well. Can't think of the scientific. I think I am going to attempt Java or pellia in my terrarium and see how they do. Mainly since I have a ton of both. I have sheet moss on the way too

-Duffy

This shaggy kind of look is what I'm going for.

I just don't see hc or baby tears having this look.  Would java grown emersed or some other aquatic moss grown emersed do this?  Thoughts?

Live sphagnum moss, perhaps?

there's plenty of pics out there of emersed mosses; perhaps search for the terms 'emersed moss setup'

I think they look awesome :)

Duffy beat me to it. I think riccia will give you the look that you're after. I haven't tried to post pictures here yet, as a matter of fact I never have posted a picture period.... But I have a ripariam setup with water seeping down a rough piece of basalt. I laid several strands around the base and along the sides and it has grown well.. Thing is, it grows upward in this setup. I can't vouch as to whether it would spread horizontally or not.

Somewhere I also read about someone putting Java moss in a small food chopper to get very small pieces. The fine pieces were then "painted" it onto the surface of wet rocks or driftwood to get a denser planting coverage. I don't THINK that it gets too bushy when grown emersed, so this could be an option as well.

My two cents

Thanks Jynn. I should check further into hc then.

How fast does it spread emersed?

It spreads slowly regardless, but if you do it from seed, you can just put a ton of seed.

Here is an album from a drystart I did with HC cuba a whiule back, has dates so you can see the speed it spreads,

http://imgur.com/a/mXeCw#0