Shrimp Behind HMF

240ric

Last night, I noticed that I was missing some shrimp in my breeding tank that has an HMF filter.  I seached in all the usual hiding spots and finally found them on the backside of the HMF filter.  Does this happen to everyone with a HMF filter?  Any tips on how to keep them out of there?

Water level is about 1/4" below the top of HMF. The only way I see to get to the back is up and over the top, or through the lift tube (not likely due to the high flow through the tube).

I have watched my CPOs "Spiderman" up the sides of my tanks when I could not see any algae/ bio-film, but must be there for them to do that. Filter material has to be a piece of cake.   Is there a solution or is that part of the game?

Based on one of my shrimps being able to somehow crawl up the return on my Marina breeder box, up over the fry guard and into the box. I would say unless you rig your cover to rest direct on top of the HMF foam so there are no gaps shrimp will be able to crawl over.

I am still scratching my head on exactly how my shrimp did it and not just once but three times now. I now believe if it's remotely possible it is possible and it is making me rethink what I consider shrimp proof in my setups as all of my tanks are run with no covers due to heat concerns.

Last night, I noticed that I was missing some shrimp in my breeding tank that has an HMF filter.  I seached in all the usual hiding spots and finally found them on the backside of the HMF filter.  Does this happen to everyone with a HMF filter?  Any tips on how to keep them out of there?

Happens all the time with. Seen them crawl over the top of the lift tube, they can crawl over the top of the sponge. They can squeeze in between the tube and sponge where its notched so now I cut a cross slit near the top and shove the tube through the slit.

I tore down a tank last week and had a mini colony living behind the HMF and had different age babies.

Glad I'm not the only one. Will try to see if I can rig something up to keep them out.

During a water change when the water level is low, the flow of the tube is reduced or sometimes stopped. They can get down the tube when this happens.

• 2 weeks later...

So once in a blue moon my shrimp get smart. They must really think the grass is greener on the other side of the filter. Can't say I don't blame them. Here's what I do to get them out.  I use an adjustable mirror to peek behind the filters. Then, I take a feeding basket place a small piece of food in it and stick it behind the filter. Wait a few hours and lift the basket out and you should have "Shrimp -n- a Basket". This works for me every time.

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

1 minute ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Where did you get the tool?

I got that thing decades ago. Any hardware store should carry something similar to it. I just saw this one. Kinda cool!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lighted-Inspection-Mirror-Telescoping-Illuminate-LED-Swivel-Light-Extends-Tool-/182047433688?hash=item2a62df63d8:g:Bq8AAOSwyjBW3lw8&item=182047433688&vxp=mtr

5 minutes ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Looks good, but don't know if it's water proof.

You don't need to put it in the water. Just place it outside of the glass. It works great. Being able to adjust the angle of the mirror helps tremendously

The guys that have been getting behind the HMF were pseudo Tibees from mayphly.  Those guys are active and are always exploring all parts of the tank.  I have since moved them to a 15 gallon with a canister filter.  I converted this HMF tank to house OEBT and BTOE tigers.  So far, none of the tigers got behind the HMF filter yet.