Adding BVs to Blue Carbon Rilis population.

I was thinking I might add a few blue velvets to my blue/carbon rilis. I know that full blue velvets are said to originate from the carbon wt and are supposed to be bred out straight from blue rilis. I have a couple rilis already that show a bit of blue velvet coloration (dark spotting over translucent blue) and a couple that look like full blue velvets. I would like to increase the frequency of full blues and/or increase blue in the existing rilis. So my question is, would it be foolish to add them? My guess is that it would work, but I am curious if someone has tried this and if many WTs are thrown?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking I might add a few blue velvets to my blue/carbon rilis. I know that full blue velvets are said to originate from the carbon wt and are supposed to be bred out straight from blue rilis. I have a couple rilis already that show a bit of blue velvet coloration (dark spotting over translucent blue) and a couple that look like full blue velvets. I would like to increase the frequency of full blues and/or increase blue in the existing rilis. So my question is, would it be foolish to add them? My guess is that it would work, but I am curious if someone has tried this and if many WTs are thrown?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat. I have a blue velvet colony that I need to add some genetic diversity to. My goal is to enhance the blue some more and make them a bit darker. Would adding rili's accomplish that or should I just get another line of blue velvets?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well, let's go into some history here of BV. :)

Red Rili threw three different forms of blues. 

• clear blue tissue shrimp (also known as blue rili.  I know very confusing since it has no blue splotches.)  These are born blue.

• BBRR which looks like a red rili but blue body tissue.  These look like red babies, and gradually develop the red rili pattern.

• The third form is BV.  These also look like red babies, and gradually develop the red rili pattern.

What makes the difference between BV and BBRR is that BV starts out looking like BBRR, but as they get older the red fades away leaving a blue tissue shrimp. 

As a novelty note: RBV is a term for Red Blue Velvet which is when a BV keeps the red past juvie stage into adulthood.  Even that tends to fade with age though.

So, the BV is a genetic mutation from RR, and separate from BBRR.

Carbons and Blue carbons (which some people are calling blue rili now) are from the chocolate diamond line.

So since the backgrounds are different, BV x Carbon should yield wild types with the occasional blue here and there.

If you were to try it, I'd say try a small sample first and see what happens.

Well, let's go into some history here of BV. :)

Red Rili threw three different forms of blues.

• clear blue tissue shrimp (also known as blue rili. I know very confusing since it has no blue splotches.) These are born blue.
  • BBRR which looks like a red rili but blue body tissue. These look like red babies, and gradually develop the red rili pattern.
  • The third form is BV. These also look like red babies, and gradually develop the red rili pattern.

What makes the difference between BV and BBRR is that BV starts out looking like BBRR, but as they get older the red fades away leaving a blue tissue shrimp.

As a novelty note: RBV is a term for Red Blue Velvet which is when a BV keeps the red past juvie stage into adulthood. Even that tends to fade with age though.

So, the BV is a genetic mutation from RR, and separate from BBRR.

Carbons and Blue carbons (which some people are calling blue rili now) are from the chocolate diamond line.

So since the backgrounds are different, BV x Carbon should yield wild types with the occasional blue here and there.

If you were to try it, I'd say try a small sample first and see what happens.

Im not saying you are wrong, but based off this chart and what you said, I am confused as to where the blue velvet comes from. I am just trying to make an informed decision before I do anything. Cause based on this chart, I have both jellies and velvets in my population.9ee9df234493140e0dde2178f32f2a87.jpg

People try their best with charts, however many of them were not around when the lines were made.  I was lucky enough to be around in the days neos were first becoming popular, and have seen many of the strains come into being.

Speedie was one of the first importers of neos and would receive information from his sources that bred them, whom in turn would relay the information to us buyers.

This maker of this chart has meant well and did the best s/he could, however consider having kept rilis for lots of years, I can say with 100% certainty one never produced a blue shell pigmented rili. heh  I have experienced all three types of blues from the RR first hand though. heh

Also, consider that BV was a strain before carbons were even a strain.  Since that is so, how would BV come from a strain that did not exist yet? ;)

Regardless if you chose to believe my information or not, even the chart shows carbons and blue rilis have two separate backgrounds.  When mixing backgrounds, the chance of wilds are increased. :)

This is what I have. Maybe you can tell me what I have exactly. I bought them as blue velvets. Dont mind the kilifish. He is gone now. Wont be making that mistake again. Lol.87b0bca3c8cf2daa75032a6533326242.jpg

Beautiful blues. They look like the phenotype of BV. :)

A couple things to consider- when the eggs are close to hatching do they look pink?  Are the babies red?

Thanks for the info. Like I said, its not that I dont trust your info and I apologize if I came across that way, Im just trying to learn more about the blue velvet line. Seems to me that the best way to accomplish my goal is to get some more blue velvets.

Beautiful blues. They look like the phenotype of BV. :)

A couple things to consider- when the eggs are close to hatching do they look pink? Are the babies red?

To be honest, I havent paid close attention to that. I do know the eggs are yellow. I have a few berried females. I'll take a look when I get home tonight. As far as the babies are concerned, I want to say I have seen both blue and red. But again I havent paid much attention and I could be wrong. I will be paying closer attention now! [emoji3]

Thanks for the info. Like I said, its not that I dont trust your info and I apologize if I came across that way, Im just trying to learn more about the blue velvet line. Seems to me that the best way to accomplish my goal is to get some more blue velvets.

I'm not offended either way! LOL  Like you, I almost always remain skeptical until proven otherwise. :)

Seems to me you have a different "blue velvet" than I am referring to. I guess it's a blue dream? I'm not sure. What's the proper term for a blue tissues solid color (maybe small spots) blue shrimp that comes from carbon? That's what I want to cross with my "blue" rilis.

I found a friend over in Hawaii with solid blues bred out from blue carbon rilis. I was offered 10 for $20, so I went for it. He calls them BVs, I call them BDs-- it's kinda like a "rose by any other name" type of situation as he assures me they indeed came from the carbon line. I should be receiving them next Friday or Saturday. Then the experimenting begins!

Check it out, guys! My friend in HI sent me a couple shots of the colony. A little blurry, but you'll get the idea. Turns out they're directly from his blue carbon rilis, as you can see, so my task will be to stabilize these bad boys (and girls). They look a lot like BVs to me, but not of the same lineage. What do you think? New strain or Sky Blue Carbon?

511df04c098f1b1d92031df011c45960.jpg

a04be6c5fceca712eea6e300805c89b2.jpg

Nice. :)

I was doing that project for awhile for a different reasoning.  The challenge I had was trying to lose that last bit of pigment near the tail. heh 

Remember to keep his strain/improve on it, cull any that have splotch pigment on them.

Of course, maybe you'll be smarter than I was and set the pigmented tail trait, and call them paintbrush or something. ;)

Nice. [emoji4]

I was doing that project for awhile for a different reasoning.  The challenge I had was trying to lose that last bit of pigment near the tail. heh 

Remember to keep his strain/improve on it, cull any that have splotch pigment on them.

Of course, maybe you'll be smarter than I was and set the pigmented tail trait, and call them paintbrush or something. [emoji6]

Paintbrush! I love it. We will see what the shrimp look like when they arrive, but I'm hoping to start with a few that lack the tail pigment. If not, Paintbrushes it is! Lol.