cleaning tank w/tiny babies - how?

fishface

Finally saw some today.  I knew they would be tiny but, jeeze!!!  They're microscopic....  I'm guessing a lot of people just do water changes but my guys share a tank with 5 plecos so gravel vacuuming is really a necessity from time to time.  How to clean without wearing microscope glasses?!   :unsure:

if you change the water from the top you are probably pretty safe.  just stay away from the substrate and plants

But that's my problem - have to do that because of the high bio-load (a/k/a poop) from the big fat Blue-fin panaques  :startle:

I made a micro syphon from 1/8-3/16" acrylic tubing and a length of airline hose. It has a pretty low flow so it's hard to suck any babies up, but they tend to get out of the way anyway, just make sure you can see where you're vacuuming.

I used to syphon into a large flat clear Tupperware container then put it on a white or black table (depending on the shrimp) and check for babies. However, I never actually found any so I stopped doing this. Since then I have had just as many, maybe more, babies grow to adulthood, so I think it's safe to say you don't really need to do this if you're careful with the micro syphon.

I always syphon into a clear jar, let the nastiness settle, then through check for babies before dumping out the water. Time consuming, but I like to be sure.

I made a micro syphon from 1/8-3/16" acrylic tubing and a length of airline hose. It has a pretty low flow so it's hard to suck any babies up, but they tend to get out of the way anyway, just make sure you can see where you're vacuuming.

I used to syphon into a large flat clear Tupperware container then put it on a white or black table (depending on the shrimp) and check for babies. However, I never actually found any so I stopped doing this. Since then I have had just as many, maybe more, babies grow to adulthood, so I think it's safe to say you don't really need to do this if you're careful with the micro syphon.

Just a tip. I've found if you gently swirl the water in the bucket in one direction, often tiny shrimp will swim in the opposite direction.

All great tips! I'll be trying all of them for sure.  I've been siphoning into a white 5g bucket but I never see any babies, even when using a flashlight.  A glass jar is a much better option.  In the meantime, who knows how many babies I've inadvertently sucked up  :(  (Even though I don't need millions of babies - like with my BNs - I hate the idea of killing them.)

I save the old water till the next day. All the crap settles and then I take a flashlight and look at the walls of the bucket. I have collected tons of babies back to the tank, most in one bucket was 29 babies haha

That's a lot of babies to save  :startle:   I have a bucket of tank water as we speak; will check it in the morning!