Reports on Neocaridinas Crossbreeding with Caridinas?

So I've always heard of rare occurrences of Neos crossbreeding with Caridinas (or Paracaridina or whatever).

I do know Paracaridinas are closely related enough to Caridinas to cross (some more reclassification necessary), but what about Neos?

Are they all false reports? If I am not mistaken, rare occurrences can happen like that (among fish, land animals, etc.), even in nature.

If some are true, anyone got more info on those occurrences? Any confirmed cases (tested DNA)?

Are the offspring sterile? Or can they breed back with Neos/Cards?

Curious is all.

I have never heard of anyone who has crossed neos and cards...although that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. However, most folks on these boards have probably kept these two species together at some point so reports of cross breeding probably should have popped up but I've not seen any.

What's interesting to me is how some caridinas never cross...like Amanos (Caridina). I've kept Caridina Babaulti with OEBT and CRS on different occasions and never had them crossbreed. That one stumps me. I miss those shrimp...I don't see them anymore and no one seems to keep them oddly. They are absolutely gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to keep green baubaltis not too long ago. I think they are a very underrated shrimp that are just a beautiful as any other shrimps. For some reason they just never got off like the other shrimps. Sorry for going off topic a little lol

a7f1bd34766a51e0e4939909a8d3254a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

There was a user who made a topic that said his panda bred with a neo then suddenly stoped updating the topic when it was about the time the shrimplets would be born.

probably just a bait lol

There have been a few out there like that.

-Chris Taylor

www.taylorsaquatics.com

What do you understand about "crosbreed"

I have seen couple times that my female crystal red got laid by a male carbon rili or fire red shrimp but it all ended up with the female dumping the eggs... (also otherwise so a male cardina cought a female neo)

Maybe someone did succeed and the female hold the egg? I am interested how the shrimplets would look like though

On 4/3/2016 at 1:27 AM, phreeflow said:

What's interesting to me is how some caridinas never cross...like Amanos (Caridina). I've kept Caridina Babaulti with OEBT and CRS on different occasions and never had them crossbreed. That one stumps me. I miss those shrimp...I don't see them anymore and no one seems to keep them oddly. They are absolutely gorgeous

The problem is that taxonomy is kind of imaginary.

When we say that Amanos, Babaulti, and CRS are all Caridina you would think it means that they are all more closely related to each other than to cherry shrimp. That isn't necessarily true. 

Mr. F does a great job of explaining the classification

We generally like to think that all the flowers with 5 petals are more closely related than the flowers with 8 petals. That isn't a bad idea, but it isn't a guarantee.When we started doing genetic analysis, we found out that it was wrong in a number of cases involving plants. Apparently, the number of petals just changes sometimes for no good reason. Two plants that are cousins might have totally different petals and shapes of leaves, while two plants that look nearly identical aren't related at all.

However, even if we assume that there was some great--great-grandfather Caridina to which all modern Caridina can trace their ancestry, we don't know when the Neocaridina broke away. Neocaridina might have been the son of the great-great-grandfather Caridina or it might have been the cousin of the bee shrimp. In fact, there is some reason the believe that it broke away relatively recently. Amanos and some other Caridina are low-order shrimp. This would seem to be a much more significant difference than some minor physical differences. All Neocaridina are high-order shrimp. Trying to figure out when a species can hybridize with another species is challenging. There are no rules, a minor genetic change can make it impossible. 

Basically, given the wide variability in the Caridina genus, I am not surprised that several species of Caridina cannot hybridize. It seems to be a very diverse and complex genus. I also wouldn't be shocked to discover that a caridina and neocardina could hybridize. We haven't seen it so far, and I imagine that at this point any hybrid would probably be sterile.