Shrimp Tank Beginner! Need some help and tips

Jorge_

I was suggested to add some fish food to my tank three days ago, because I needed a mini cycle? I have had my tank for about two months, I had fish in it before but they died. So, I did a water test today and they water is as shown; Ph = 8.2 Ammonia = 0ppm Nitrite = 0ppm Nitrate = 20ppm. This is basically exactly like before, lol. I had a small spike in nitrite to 0.5 ppm, nothing else really changed. I did do a small water change on monday, sunday was when I put the food in. So im wondering if my water is safe or it didnt really cycle?  I also wanted to know some ways to get rid of pest snails in the tank. I was thinking either pea puffers or assassin snails. Would these work out? My tank is 10 gallons, I was kinda worried that either of those would eat the shrimp. Oh, I forgot to say what shrimp I am getting. Im getting cherry shrimp. So my parents are worried of the shrimp being eaten because my local fish store doesnt have too much stock at the moment because of remodeling, so I need to order everything. They do have some pea puffers in the shop but not assassin snails. So what would you recommend to go in to help with the pest snails? I was also planning to add some otos soon, so if anyone can tell if those will go well or not and if so when do I add them? Thanks :)

I have a few questions to help you along, are you using tap water, as your Red Cherry Shrimp you plan on buying maybe best suited with a bit of a lower PH. Have you tested TDS, GH, KH? Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all look fine for RCS, you stated you had this tank setup for 2 months now correct? The fish may have died because of the tank not actually completing its cycle, but now your parameters looks good.

You didnt say what kind of snails you had, but you can use fenbendazole to kill them, if thats the route you want to take. You will probably have to do several water changes after that. If you want to add some fish, you can add some pygmy cories and some micro rasbora species. I have these in my 7.5gal tank and my shrimp population still keeps growing. My ph is 8-8.3 and my shrimp do well. It should be lower, but i think you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

I have a few questions to help you along, are you using tap water, as your Red Cherry Shrimp you plan on buying maybe best suited with a bit of a lower PH. Have you tested TDS, GH, KH? Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all look fine for RCS, you stated you had this tank setup for 2 months now correct? The fish may have died because of the tank not actually completing its cycle, but now your parameters looks good.

I am using tap water, I might be able to go out and buy the GH and KH testing kits today. That is correct, I have had the tank for roughly two months.

5 hours ago, bostoneric said:

you dont have to use chemicals to remove snails. just drop a piece of food in that holds its shape and the snails will be all over it and you can scoop them out with a net.

Can I use romaine lettuce? Will this work considering they are eating my plants, and would they prefer those to what I put in? Last time I took out all the snails I saw, there were only two which was when I first noticed them. A few days later, I start seeing snails. Any other type of food recommended?

15 hours ago, Shrimpo said:

If you don't like the snails in the tank then get rid of them first before adding shrimp, I wouldn't add any tank mates for the shrimp except Otos.

How many otos would be good? Also would it be fine to add them later on this week or when I have the shrimp in the tank? I am getting the shrimp in about two weeks I believe, but my LFS has otos in stock atm...

4 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

+1  to what boston said!  I don't like to use chems if I don't have to, and this way is all natural.

Thats what I thought... I didnt like the idea of putting in chemicals plus I heard some can be harmful to shrimp.

1 hour ago, Jorge_ said:

Can I use romaine lettuce? Will this work considering they are eating my plants, and would they prefer those to what I put in? Last time I took out all the snails I saw, there were only two which was when I first noticed them. A few days later, I start seeing snails. Any other type of food recommended?

I've used carrots and peeled cucumber with good success, too.

1 hour ago, Jorge_ said:

How many otos would be good? Also would it be fine to add them later on this week or when I have the shrimp in the tank? I am getting the shrimp in about two weeks I believe, but my LFS has otos in stock atm...

I would do 3 in 10 gallon tank, you can put them in the tank now then add shrimp later on.

6 minutes ago, Shrimpo said:

I would do 3 in 10 gallon tank, you can put them in the tank now then add shrimp later on.

Alright, heading to the fish store right in a bit :D

My question is, should I wait to get the otos? Or can I get the right now? Any additional info needed I can answer right now. I will most likely also purchase a KH and GH test kit, I think thats it but if I can get the otos now ill get them. I do have very few snails in there right now. Should I deal with those first?

1 minute ago, Jorge_ said:

Alright, heading to the fish store right in a bit :D

My question is, should I wait to get the otos? Or can I get the right now? Any additional info needed I can answer right now. I will most likely also purchase a KH and GH test kit, I think thats it but if I can get the otos now ill get them. I do have very few snails in there right now. Should I deal with those first?

When I said 3 I meant the Oto catfish. you can either add shrimp first then fish later or vice versa, just so not to disturb the cycle.

12 minutes ago, Shrimpo said:

When I said 3 I meant the Oto catfish. you can either add shrimp first then fish later or vice versa, just so not to disturb the cycle.

I know you meant the catfish, sorry I didnt make it clear :P

What I meant was is my aquarium ready for them today? Or should I get the KH and GH testing kits then tell you guys the results? I am going in a bit, so if you need any additional info let me know. Im pretty sure the tank is ready, but im not experienced or an expert. Shpuld I also remove the snails first?

Update; I ordered one oto, and bought two today! I let the bag float, then put them into a small bowl and dripped water about halfway, then added them to the tank. They are currently doing good, I have the lights off right now so I cant take photos, but I will for sure add some tomorrow :) 

38 minutes ago, Jynn said:

Visually, the biggest improvement you could make on that tank is simply replacing that substrate with something a more natural color.

It's not bad otherwise :)

Wouldnt that need me to do another cycle? I was considering doing so but I wasnt too picky about substrate if I needed to wait another month and a half.

47 minutes ago, Jorge_ said:

Wouldnt that need me to do another cycle? I was considering doing so but I wasnt too picky about substrate if I needed to wait another month and a half.

Most of the active beneficial bacteria is in your filter.   Changing the substrate isnt that detrimental as long as your filter is already cycled.

Just now, Jorge_ said:

So I COULD possibly change the substrate?

Yup.

Your tank might get a little cloudy as all the old substrate bacteria escapes into the water column, but its harmless and will settle down in a few days if left alone.

Just now, Jynn said:

Yup.

Your tank might get a little cloudy as all the old substrate bacteria escapes into the water column, but its harmless and will settle down in a few days if left alone.

Do you have any recommendations? I need it so I can see the otos and cherry shrimp. I was thinking natural colored smooth pebbles or maybe a sand type substrate, maybe black?

Do you have any recommendations? I need it so I can see the otos and cherry shrimp. I was thinking natural colored smooth pebbles or maybe a sand type substrate, maybe black?

Black looks nice with RCS. Black sand is my favorite. Lots of users on here use black blasting sand from the hardware store. It's cheap and looks nice.