Signs of card infections?

As most of you know, my experience over the last several years has been working with neos.  Now, I'm entering cards.

I know what to look for with infections for neos, but cards are a different shrimp entirely.  Is there anything to look for with cards besides broken antennae?

Hi soothing

I have had lot of dead shrimp mainly card. Discoloration on the dead shrimp is way to may be figure out what's wrong with them. I read sign that's there is an infection is when you start losing 2 or 3 shrimps everyday. I had an article with all the different diseases and symptom stored somewhere in a safe place will look for it and post it here.

You could get that lowkey stuff for bacterial prevention.   I have a bottle that Ive been waiting for the warm weather to hit to use.   Actuallly need to make a post about it later with some questions.   

hmmm didnt know there was a dr tims product.  I bet its ALOT less expensive than the lowkey.    maybe Ill try dr tim on the other tanks and lowkey on the tb tank.  It would be interesting to know what is in each.

so sounds like they work completely different from one another.    I googled and Dextrin is a fiber... Not sure if its being used for its own health benefits or as a binder.  The first ingredient is a seaweed that it seems absorbs lots of minerals from the ocean.  At least according to google.  Not sure how this wards against bacterial infection but i am no biologist.  

Is the Dr times just another bacteria supplement?  I already use the Vita from Shrimpydaddy. I wonder if they work the same

2 minutes ago, Jadenlea said:

so sounds like they work completely different from one another.    I googled and Dextrin is a fiber... Not sure if its being used for its own health benefits or as a binder.  The first ingredient is a seaweed that it seems absorbs lots of minerals from the ocean.  At least according to google.  Not sure how this wards against bacterial infection but i am no biologist.  

Is the Dr times just another bacteria supplement?  I already use the Vita from Shrimpydaddy. I wonder if they work the same

Eco Balance is a probiotic bacteria supplement.

I honestly feel like Vita is the same as Eco Balance, Waste-Away and One and Only all combined together.

Wow guys,... just a tip.  I was lookign for the Dr Tims Eco Balance. I had a hard time finding it on Prime so I went to Dr Tims website.  The 16 oz on dr tims site is $19 + shipping

Then I cut and paste the exact name and found it on amazon after all for 12 dollars free shipping with prime.    It is on amazon for a lot cheaper. you just have to do the exact wording.  

Im going to try the recovers on my TB tank since I already have it and the Dr tims on the other 3 since its much more economical

Cards get different infections than Neos? Or do you just mean that Cards tend to be more sensitive/weaker, causing them to be more prone to infections?

Keep water parameters in check, regularly keeping the tank free of excess detritus/mulm/organics build up and a appropriate diet, I would think that would be all that is needed to keep shrimp and any livestock in good health so they don't get sick. Sure, probiotics can be beneficial, but I personally wouldn't think they are necessary.

By the way though, Kensfish has a variety of foods that have probiotics in them (even veggie sticks w/ calcium).

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-sinking-sticks.html

Yogurt has probiotics, not sure if anyone has tried feeding yogurt to shrimp haha. But in the aquascaping world, people have used a method that uses yogurt as a adhesive to stick tiny moss to driftwood, and the yogurt has been munched on by shrimps (I'm sure a bunch of microorganisms grow onto the yogurt as well, so even better!)

I would just add "botanicals" like Indian Almond Leaves, Cholla wood/cactus, Alder cones, etc. as they do provide anti-bacterial properties (as well as a microorganism growing food source).

35 minutes ago, fernselvis said:

What are the different types of cholla wood I was trying to find the one deta uses in his tanks couldn't find it on amazon.

Cholla (Cylindropuntia, synonym Opuntia) species

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia

http://archive.bio.ed.ac.uk/jdeacon/desertecology/cholla.htm

http://www.desertusa.com/cactus/cholla-cactus.html

Didn't see what DETA uses, but I recall someone saying they bought Teddy Bear cholla (Opuntia bigelovii). Not sure what the most common cholla species is that we use in our aquariums (perhaps it doesn't matter? cholla is cholla?).

If you have it somewhere locally that you could collect it yourself, then I guess you could. Not sure of the legality of that though (someone else's property and it's part of the wildlife/nature, but it does depend on your location). I think you only collect dead/dried cacti though.

I don't have any local spots to harvest it myself, so I just buy mine online.