Breeding ideas

ctaylor3737

As most of you know I breed a few different things, dont usually just stick to shrimp! I love to breed anything really as long as its interesting and generally easy to get rid of fry. I hate breeding something common and have to end up finding people to give away stuff to because no one will take it. Had Kribs once and I couldnt pay people to take all the fry lol.

I want to get some ideas for breeding pairs in my fish room. Here is what I currently have:

Discus, hope to get at least 4 pairs from my stock right now.

Peacock Gudgedon pair.

Killifish Gardneri

Balloon Rams

Trying to pair:

Greed Dragon Pleco

Albino BN

Longfins

Considering

Axolotl

Want some ideas of things that are relatively uncommon and will be fun to breed. I don't like cichlids other than Discus! Just want some ideas to plan into my fish room.

Look into a few more types of killis, breeding them doesn't take up my tank space (2.5g and 5g tanks) and they can fetch good prices

Personally I'd say try to replace the balloon rams with normal ones (just my opinion)

You could consider some of the less common angels, Corys (another easy one).

And buy 1 big mean catfish or oscar or something to feed "cull" fry too - keeps lines good plus reduces # that you have to try to find homes for

I was just saying on another post, I wish someone would breed a dwarf Discus. You would make a fortune!

I love Discus, but you have to keep a large enough tank for even one, or start with a Julie, and sell it when

It out grows the tank and get another young one, but they grow fairly fast. So a dwarf Discus would be

Awesome! I would love a couple of dwarf Tourquois Discus.

Not,all are large. And you can have one in as small as a 55g. You can keep 6-8 in a 55. I have 20 in a 90 and do fine lol. Only thing you can't really do is have one or 2. They get aggressive best to,have a min of 4-6 the same age.

-Chris

You could try apistogramas, there another cichlid and I know you don't like them but some of them are very uncommon or not much known about them like the hongsloi I'm going to be breeding.

Rocket killies

Vampire plecos

Mango tip plecos

This seems to be the biggest challenge right now, ottocinclus (even though there are several variances available in the trade)

You could also do something pretty common, but not well known live bearer such as the half beaks. I think there very cool, and a challenge to breed.

Not,all are large. And you can have one in as small as a 55g. You can keep 6-8 in a 55. I have 20 in a 90 and do fine lol. Only thing you can't really do is have one or 2. They get aggressive best to,have a min of 4-6 the same age.-Chris

You can't keep just one by itself? Why can't you keep just one?

They don't thrive by their selves, they are very social animals with their kinds. They will not eat and health will suffer.

-Chris

Shouldn't be that hard.  Breed the runts of the litters and you should develop a line of dwarf discus pretty soon.  I think that is a terrific idea!

I was just saying on another post, I wish someone would breed a dwarf Discus. You would make a fortune!
I love Discus, but you have to keep a large enough tank for even one, or start with a Julie, and sell it when
It out grows the tank and get another young one, but they grow fairly fast. So a dwarf Discus would be
Awesome! I would love a couple of dwarf Tourquois Discus.

Most people give away small discus. They are grown for their size, if they are small it means that they weren't properly cared for.

-Chris

I have a Discus project I'm doing with a friend. I'd have an l46 colony if I could afford it and if you have ever seen, full grown Altums angles in real life they are so majestic .

We have a few pair getting more soon, A lot of thunder storms this time of the year had them lay a few times already this year but.... they picked em up. We have had some success last year and grew out some sellable discus. I'm sure you know how it goes with discus.