ok ONE more time. blues

Ok  I know we have discussed this a bunch of times but the information keeps getting crossed.  Please dont post the neo chart because i find it confusing and it doesn't account for peoples mislabeling.

As of now...

Blue diamond?  From Chocolates

Blue dream  From Carbons?

What is Blue dream velvet?   

Trying to decide on a nice bright blue for my white sand tank.   Rili and velvet seem to light . I am afraid they will disappear in the white sand.      I wouldnt mind a nice green either if there was a nice bright green (not lime green)  

BV comes from the red rili line. When I used to keep BVs, the shrimplets would look like red rilis but eventually the red areas would go away and the shrimp starts turning more blue by the weeks or days.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This as how was early last year:

Blue Rilli --> Blue Jelly --> Blue Velvet -->  Blue Dream 

Chocolate --> Blue Diamond

At this point Blue Dreams were basically high quality Blue Velvet

Now fast forward to 2016 and things get a bit confusing as there is around 4-5 high quality blue neo's as well as some new names being thrown around for lower quality ones.

1) the overall quality of blue velvet has gone up in the past year (at least from breeding farms in Asia); most of them are medium to dark blue now rather than the light blue we known them by.  These are generally just sold as unsorted blue velvet and then are sorted and resold as blue velvet & blue dreams here.

2) There are several high quality blue neo's available now from the farms; Fantasy Blue, Sapphire Blue,  Jet Blue, C-Sky Blue, etc; many of these may be sold as "Blue Dream" as that is that name that has sticked for high quality blue shrimps here in North America

3) there is also an influx of lower grade blue neo from fish wholesalers - navy blue, super blue, blue aura, etc;  some of these look alot like low quality carbon / blue rilli

So it is now really hard to say "Blue Dream" is a single line of blue shrimps as they could be one of many.

Of course each person has theri own expectations on what an idea "blue dream" is.  For me it is a medium blue, not too dark or light, with no dark spots or patches

I will say that from my experience the high quality ones from the shrimp farms (Fantasy Blue / Sapphire) are more consistent in quality and colours in terms of offsprings (medium blue) and those would be the ones i sell as Blue Dreams. BUT the same can be said any any locally bred line that have been selectively bred as well for those traits.

The high grade blue velvets i have are really close as well; but just don't breed as "true" and if this was 2015 they would probably be sold as blue dream 

Thanks Jumpsmasher.  That clears up alot except for where the carbons land?

There is a seller selling  Blue Dream Velvets.    Which confused me, but maybe she is communicating they are darker blue than the tradition velvets.    Some of her pictures look like some of them have a carbon pattern.

I did the blue carbon thing and didnt have much luck and without a lot of culling they all just went from pretty blue to losing most of their color and being dull. I do NOT want to go that route again.

2 hours ago, Jadenlea said:

Thanks Jumpsmasher.  That clears up alot except for where the carbons land?

There is a seller selling  Blue Dream Velvets.    Which confused me, but maybe she is communicating they are darker blue than the tradition velvets.    Some of her pictures look like some of them have a carbon pattern.

I did the blue carbon thing and didnt have much luck and without a lot of culling they all just went from pretty blue to losing most of their color and being dull. I do NOT want to go that route again.

carbon rilli's comes from rilli  as well - not 100% where the black came from but it could be just a mix of colours.  all the various blues out there comes down to personal preferences - there is no standard for blue dreams really but since they all basically came from rillii, you will get ones with darker head / tail from time to time.   

• 2 weeks later...