How low can we go? pH and Brightwell

I just got some Brightwell, attracted by its "no ammonia spike" reputation. It only seems to buffer down to a pitiful 6.4 pH, however.  I use RO water.  I want a healthy bee tank and presumed a 5.3-5.5 was optimal.  Am I going to be forced to use something that I'll have to cycle for months to then hope for a buffering time window of 9 months, or am I looking at this all wrong?

Thx,

TC, I use Controsoil and it keeps me in the 5.7-5.8 range, but I believe the initial pH it settled to was 6.2-6.4.  There was a very slow drift downward for a few months but for the last year I've been at 5.7-5.8 (Pinpoint).  

I'm not sure what you are using to test pH, but there are known challenges with securing an accurate pH in softwater (and low TDS) environments such as we use with Bees.  After an hour long discussion with the owner of Pinpoint (American Marine) I now am a strong believer that my pH is as indicated on my Pinpoint, but I can tell you that other pens and API test kits would show (now) that my pH is in the sixes.

Although several of us are keeping Bees in pH below 6, the "listed" parameters for Cards as you know is in the low sixes, which Brightwell is giving you.  I would think you should be fine with cards using Brightwell.  I don't believe the slow drift had a detrimental effect on my tank, but as I'm typing this I do remember that I didn't have breeding for 4+ months after setup (could just be attributed to shrimp reaching sexual maturity).  Since then (and for over a year), the tank has done well.

Feel free to hit me up via PM if you have other questions.

SM, I actually just had a conversation with the person that sold me my Pinpoint, lol. I am now looking at a pH of 6.1 which is much more tolerable.  I was only hoping for 5.3-5.5 because those are the params that the people I bought my cards from are keeping theirs in, and I view them as advanced shrimpers. 
Thanks for the open PM invite. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love Brightwell substrate! I love how it looks, doesn't make a mess in my tanks (not like my Amazonia looks after a year) and my shrimp, including TB's, mischlinge, Aura Tigers seems to like it too. My ph is about 6.6-6.8 (tap+distilled water) but the shrimp are doing fine, healthy and breeding.

I had Controsoil for about a year because that's how long the Buffering Capabilities lasted and my RO started with PH 6.2 and Controsoil kept it in the around the same as Original RO water 6.2-6.4 Now I'm using SL-Aqua Soil and Ph Stays at 5.8-6 pretty sure is under 6 but can't tell.

• 5 weeks later...