Shrimp ID?

ohmiko

Just picked these up from LFS, but dont really know what they are besides Neos. Any idea?14256769_1115341571892230_1741459592_n.jpg

added to my tank

14284882_1115350598557994_1320089991_o.jpg14274515_1115350541891333_1747535595_o.jpg

those two are exactly the same I just picked the left one out because it had less covering and more golden back stripe-y look

Just picked these up from LFS, but dont really know what they are besides Neos.

those two are exactly the same I just picked the left one out because it had less covering and more golden back stripe-y look

The second two are golden bee/Snow White! They are a caridina species?

Male and female too imo!

Pretty sure he said they're neos.

6 hours ago, Mr. F said:

First pics look like green jade
Second looks like yellow neo, and third look like green jade (left) and yellow neo (right)

I'm not sure they're green jade it's potentially yellow neo but with a more expansive goldenback pattern that covers the body? The green jades I've had didn't look like this. The LFS sells them off as "Orange shrimp" and I've had one before. but still not sure :(

1 hour ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Yeah... I'm pretty sure the store screwed up.  Those are almost certainly not neos.

I'll take more pictures today. I think they are neos. They seem very prolific but idk if that's how you'd tell if they are haha. I'm looking up golden bee pictures and now I'm kinda doubting myself.... It would be horrible if they were caridina and I left them in neo water.. However my sister had one and it's offsprings are in her tank growing. 

Yeah... I'm pretty sure the store screwed up.  Those are almost certainly not neos.

Look at those rostrum. The full white looking one does look card but I'm guessing neo based on body shape over card because color coverage!

1 hour ago, Mr. F said:

Those are goldenback yellows or 24K yellows depending on who you asks

.. and also called neons from years ago.  heh  I give you that one of the shrimp has a similar phenotype, however let's not forget other shrimp can have back stripes too.  A side view would be helpful to look at.

"Look at those rostrum. The full white looking one does look card but I'm guessing neo based on body shape over card because color coverage! "

I respectfully disagree.  Neos are longer, while cards are more compact. Taking your theory that these are yellows, there are no yellow strains for neos being sold that has that saturation of pigment.  If it is white, that rules out neos as well since a white strain of neo does not exist yet.  The pigment also is not formed in this shrimp as would be in neosNeos have horizontal lines of color that run the length of the body and become wider through selective breeding until filled in. (Think sakura.) This shrimp has thinner pigment near the underside.  IMO it is also unlikely this was an extremely wide racing stripe.

I'm also making the assumption that the store received this tank of shrimp from one source.  If that is the case, chances are the shrimp would not have been mixed- but the same type.

But who knows? You may be correct. :-)

I've gone to Tongs in FV and I feel like I've seen these exact shrimp on sale labeled as "Gold Flame" for like $6. I'll try to get more pics when I get home in a few hours. Is there any orange neo that's heavily pigmented/covered? I still feel like it's a neo but I could pick up some extra and add to a caridina and see what happens? I think my LFS does get it from one source. They usually get solid pigmented reds, the "Orange" ones here, rilis, or blue pearls weekly. Sadly they don't know anything about shrimp so I can't ask them what it is. The reason it is a possibility to be caridina is because they had CRS years ago and I bought one when I didn't know anything and I saw they kept it with neos/ the same water which is 300 tds and I assume not acidic. 

Some orange neos are just orange tissue, some are more pigmented on the shell- but the color wouldn't stop near the bottom like that. 

If the others don't match that one, then Mr. F may be correct in the assumption the others are neos- especially since you said the store mixes.  Need better photos to know for sure.

.. and also called neons from years ago.  heh  I give you that one of the shrimp has a similar phenotype, however let's not forget other shrimp can have back stripes too.  A side view would be helpful to look at.

"Look at those rostrum. The full white looking one does look card but I'm guessing neo based on body shape over card because color coverage! "

I respectfully disagree.  Neos are longer, while cards are more compact. Taking your theory that these are yellows, there are no yellow strains for neos being sold that has that saturation of pigment.  If it is white, that rules out neos as well since a white strain of neo does not exist yet.  The pigment also is not formed in this shrimp as would be in neosNeos have horizontal lines of color that run the length of the body and become wider through selective breeding until filled in. (Think sakura.) This shrimp has thinner pigment near the underside.  IMO it is also unlikely this was an extremely wide racing stripe.

I'm also making the assumption that the store received this tank of shrimp from one source.  If that is the case, chances are the shrimp would not have been mixed- but the same type.

But who knows? You may be correct. :-)

I have a white yellow neo. The rostroms are also clearly longer than cards in these pics. The only one throwing me off is the middle pic.

I think the middle pic color is because my lighting is like blueish white led. I'll get a pic using use the white light option

Here's #1 that i chose bc it had less pigmentation and more of a stripey feel, but it's still more than the regular goldenback stripe. 14218432_1116066628486391_595672309_n.jpg

And a bunch of #2. I can't find the third shrimp so I think it died or hiding bc it molted.

14233680_1116066448486409_808932965_o.jpg14285620_1116066345153086_353856395_o.jpg14303938_1116066198486434_917239704_o.jpg14274446_1116066281819759_347540505_o.jpg

that's as clear as I can get with my iphone5 :(

I think someone had the same question as me and there really isnt an answer LOL she had way more other weird ones though

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-invertebrates/136656-my-orange-shrimp.html

This might be relevant:
I kept my neons with orange Sakura for a while and that's where my slime green Neos popped out from, as well as the white/yellow shrimp.

I see what you are saying.  The yellow isn't as intense.  I was hoping you had one leaning toward white pigmentation. Still, nice shrimp you have there. :-)

Yeah, she changes color from an almost snowball look to a light yellow. She also breeds out almost exclusively Sakura/fire reds in a tank with one other yellow (but a female) and several cherry culls, which is pretty cool.

8 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Yeah, she changes color from an almost snowball look to a light yellow. She also breeds out almost exclusively Sakura/fire reds in a tank with one other yellow (but a female) and several cherry culls, which is pretty cool.

Wow! Interesting for sure. I wonder if you have a yellow gene on a different location that is co-dom or dom over red? 

Grrrrrr... Color research needs to be done in neos!