Shrimp ID?

ohmiko

At the Petco I bought them from, the aquatics associate did say that they lost the others pretty rapidly and the 5 that were left managed to adjust pretty well. Their pH in the store is 6.8-7, and mine out of the tap is 7.6, but when added to a tank reduces to about 6.8-7.2. Not sure how credible this is, but there's an aquabid seller from Texas raising & selling cards in 7.4 pH water. I've read the trick is to acclimate properly, and once done, keep your pH at wherever it is and as stable as possible to keep most delicate aquatic inverts or fish.

While on the topic, is it best to buy cards from sellers who have them in pH as close as can be to your own?

As a breeder told me years ago,the more they interbreed the color gets washed out.the picture of the whiteish color shrimp is a poor grade of neo.too much interbreeding you"HAVE" to introduce fresh dna to breed true colors..........but what do I know bred shrimp for 9 years.

Golden Bee

golden_bee_shrimp4.jpg

Golden_Bee_Shrimp.jpg

1 hour ago, Back On The Block 2016 said:

As a breeder told me years ago,the more they interbreed the color gets washed out.the picture of the whiteish color shrimp is a poor grade of neo.too much interbreeding you"HAVE" to introduce fresh dna to breed true colors..........but what do I know bred shrimp for 9 years.

Thanks for weighing in! I'm a bit confused, which whitish colored shrimp are you referring to? Increasing genetic diversity every few generations is essential, so I most certainly agree with you there!

Had two conversations going,but I have looked at a lot of shrimp for sale that some people are selling for a hefty price and their coloration is so washed out,I would be ashamed to sell them.........not even as culls.

Best to buy shrimp from breeders that have bred them in the USA.........Ark in Houston has done a great job with Cardinal shrimp.based on Houston water....

5 hours ago, Back On The Block 2016 said:

Best to buy shrimp from breeders that have bred them in the USA.........Ark in Houston has done a great job with Cardinal shrimp.based on Houston water....

Ah, that's exactly who I was talking about lol. Thanks for clearing that up for me! So it would seem it is most certainly possible to keep cards in water that Neos, with their wide ranges of acceptable pH lvl, are also able to thrive in. Just as long as your tank is matured and water pristine. 

Seems like we're making progress here, @ohmiko lol! ??

I bought my OEBT from ark on aquabid!! Very generous with the extra DOA and way cheaper than all the other sellers, and I plan to buy CRS or CBS from her after my caridina tank finishes cycling  :). 

4 hours ago, Euryth said:

Ah, that's exactly who I was talking about lol. Thanks for clearing that up for me! So it would seem it is most certainly possible to keep cards in water that Neos, with their wide ranges of acceptable pH lvl, are also able to thrive in. Just as long as your tank is matured and water pristine. 

Seems like we're making progress here, @ohmiko lol! ??

Definitely learning a lot LOL. Idk I'm still not convinced it's caridina. What are the chances my store would happen to buy caridinas that were grown in neo water. but also the second one I bought is definitely the same as the one that looks like a golden bee just more revealing with the translucent shell. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the babies + I'm introducing new genes maybe throw an A++ grade chocolate in there for a while to stir up the pot :o

Well that's great to hear lol, I was considering buying some OEBT as well once my tanks mature a bit more. Honestly, I don't find it very shocking that they would receive cards that could live in neo params. I highly doubt the average or chain LFS with tanks that share the same filtration would bother ordering super delicate shrimp to dedicate tanks to. I hear rumors of CRS being stocked at Petco, but I'd imagine they'd be lower grades that should be hardier once they settle out of shock. Some stores are also unable to carry large quantities of sensitive fish & inverts if their tap has pH that would be too high or low to alter otherwise. Luckily, our water here is close to neutral & soft ?

Wow! Interesting for sure. I wonder if you have a yellow gene on a different location that is co-dom or dom over red? 

Grrrrrr... Color research needs to be done in neos!

Could be.
I kinda see it as reds having the dominant allele, and yellows are missing one of that allele plus having another one at a different locus for yellow, so with the combo, you get back out reds and interesting reds with some deeper pigment.
Hoping to get on that genetics work soon.

8 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Could be.
I kinda see it as reds having the dominant allele, and yellows are missing one of that allele plus having another one at a different locus for yellow, so with the combo, you get back out reds and interesting reds with some deeper pigment.
Hoping to get on that genetics work soon.

Woah,  well that explains some of what I read about the interesting outcomes of mixing reds & yellows ? this instance of genetic expression doesn't happen very often I'd think right? I've read mixing yellows & reds throws wilds, but have also seen where people say they still throw reds & yellows too ?

All this talk about loci and allele is giving me war flashbacks to freshmen bio in hs :coldb:

46 minutes ago, ohmiko said:

All this talk about loci and allele is giving me war flashbacks to freshmen bio in hs :coldb:

:lol:I feel you on that, ohmiko! I majored in biology in undergrad so I feel like I'm front row during a Genetics lecture lol

Woah,  well that explains some of what I read about the interesting outcomes of mixing reds & yellows [emoji50] this instance of genetic expression doesn't happen very often I'd think right? I've read mixing yellows & reds throws wilds, but have also seen where people say they still throw reds & yellows too [emoji26]

Yeah, it's very rare but seems to be specific to individual colonies and not all yellow as we've seen post before (probably "light oranges"). These still should have red alleles but maybe just not the right combination of others to match up correctly. I'm a biochemist, molecular biologist, and bioinformatition, so I hope to do work with this at my (albeit, marine) lab soon. Luckily I have a great gene pool to pull from with known lineage! Unfortunately govt grants can be worth less than a top of the line full ADA

Set up. [emoji23]

3 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Yeah, it's very rare but seems to be specific to individual colonies and not all yellow as we've seen post before (probably "light oranges"). These still should have red alleles but maybe just not the right combination of others to match up correctly. I'm a biochemist, molecular biologist, and bioinformatition, so I hope to do work with this at my (albeit, marine) lab soon. Luckily I have a great gene pool to pull from with known lineage! Unfortunately govt grants can be worth less than a top of the line full ADA

Set up. emoji23.png

what an amazing title. Biochemist, molecular biologist, bioinformatition, so fancy and intelligent :bow:

@Euryth Went to the two LFS that I know carry the shrimp today since they get shipments tuesdays

This is the one i bought them from. Lack of orange because they didn't get anymore but they did have black shrimp for 2.50 which i totally bought14331092_1121407417952312_321705319_n.jpg14348632_1121407051285682_1185451369_n.jpg

and here's their betta collection just for funsies :)14341409_1121407097952344_1852499737_n.jpg

This is the other fish store that I never buy shrimp from unless it's berried/my favorite. The price is more $$ and their water is questionable but they always have tons of shrimp. Two names: Gold Flame shrimp, Orange Flame Shrimp. And also their super reds cherry14348923_1121407177952336_881917849_n.jpg14331074_1121407251285662_77761874_n.jpg

14365489_1121407287952325_325121346_n.jpg14371994_1121407344618986_1326898822_n.jpg14365306_1121407377952316_2108612601_n.jpg14331672_1121407384618982_360733297_n.jpg

also totally looks nothing like a golden bee imo. I believe my phone makes their shells look so high contrasted that it appears to be but this aquarium light is nicer. Today I picked up two of the black shrimp which I guess are black rose, and I bought one berried Tiger shrimp from the other fish store bc tiger is my favorite :))

@ohmiko those were some amazing pictures! I am SUPER jealous lol I would go broke in that store! Also, those are some reeeeaaally nice black shrimp lol I wish I could find some near me. Those gold flame shrimp LOOK just like golden bees to me (may not be until mine breed) lol I don't know why we're having such a difference of opinion on this! I bought another Orange Bee from Petco, and they didn't look like the shrimp we both have until I put it in my 5g tank. Only thing is, it has a really wide gold stripe down its back with the rest of the shell looking slightly translucent. Aside from that, behavior and anatomy looks exactly like the other shrimp I took pictures of. 

Also, I'd think some of those shrimp would mix with those RCS in the tanks as I'd doubt they'd sell EVERY last shrimp in that tank! Have you noticed any of them that were berried? I wonder if golden bees can be identified by their egg colors? I'll look and see if I can scour the net for some pics of berried Golden Bees, think you could run by the shop and see if you can have someone net a berried female for you and take pics of the egg colors? Hehe, think of it as yet another trip to possibly add another bunch of cool shrimp to your collection for a good cause lol :D

7 minutes ago, Euryth said:

@ohmiko those were some amazing pictures! I am SUPER jealous lol I would go broke in that store! Also, those are some reeeeaaally nice black shrimp lol I wish I could find some near me. Those gold flame shrimp LOOK just like golden bees to me (may not be until mine breed) lol I don't know why we're having such a difference of opinion on this! I bought another Orange Bee from Petco, and they didn't look like the shrimp we both have until I put it in my 5g tank. Only thing is, it has a really wide gold stripe down its back with the rest of the shell looking slightly translucent. Aside from that, behavior and anatomy looks exactly like the other shrimp I took pictures of. 

Also, I'd think some of those shrimp would mix with those RCS in the tanks as I'd doubt they'd sell EVERY last shrimp in that tank! Have you noticed any of them that were berried? I wonder if golden bees can be identified by their egg colors? I'll look and see if I can scour the net for some pics of berried Golden Bees, think you could run by the shop and see if you can have someone net a berried female for you and take pics of the egg colors? Hehe, think of it as yet another trip to possibly add another bunch of cool shrimp to your collection for a good cause lol :D

LOL Whatever I don't care what it is I just want to know if it's a neo. because if it's caridina, I'd hate to keep it in neo, if it prefers acidity :( And no none of these were berried but they're always berried in the store I bought them in. The other store has TDS 600+ and no active substrate and keep CRS together with neos so they could care less as long as they sell it :( I'd assume the high TDS caused them stress + drop their eggs so when I do buy them from there, I think of it as saving them. So  today I saved a momma tiger >:) Pics of the new orange shrimp!! And the RCS was mixed with Rili, chocolate,  blue dream CRS, LFS dont really care unless they especially know about shrimp, so there's no luck I could ask the workers for information. + I dont think they like asian people :( No one looked at me when i talked and i waited for a while for help and the cashier changed her mood when it was my turn, so even though that LFS was full of information and the same shrimp, its a dead end :( The eggs on mine are orange!!! I think it released the babies but i'm not sure. 

and I'm so lucky to have fish stores that have shrimp constantly!! :) Gotta check up on my friend who ones one too, He has shrimp but doesnt know how to acclimate so they usually end up dying.  Gave him some of my WT for free so that I could get future discounts :) Very nice guy, blue dreams, golden backs, sunkist, snowball, they all are the same price and it's a hole in the wall place so it's like my secret >:) 

43 minutes ago, ohmiko said:

LOL Whatever I don't care what it is I just want to know if it's a neo. because if it's caridina, I'd hate to keep it in neo, if it prefers acidity :( And no none of these were berried but they're always berried in the store I bought them in. The other store has TDS 600+ and no active substrate and keep CRS together with neos so they could care less as long as they sell it :( I'd assume the high TDS caused them stress + drop their eggs so when I do buy them from there, I think of it as saving them. So  today I saved a momma tiger >:) Pics of the new orange shrimp!! And the RCS was mixed with Rili, chocolate,  blue dream CRS, LFS dont really care unless they especially know about shrimp, so there's no luck I could ask the workers for information. + I dont think they like asian people :( No one looked at me when i talked and i waited for a while for help and the cashier changed her mood when it was my turn, so even though that LFS was full of information and the same shrimp, its a dead end :( The eggs on mine are orange!!! I think it released the babies but i'm not sure. 

Sheesh! Those sound like pretty horrific conditions, you should start a shrimp sanctuary and "rescue" them all lol! Seriously tho, a TDS of 600?! Well I'll wait for the more knowledgeable members to come on to share with us how egg color is determined and if it would be reliable enough to determine what it is. Seriously, congrats on the nice finds tho!

3 minutes ago, Euryth said:

Sheesh! Those sound like pretty horrific conditions, you should start a shrimp sanctuary and "rescue" them all lol! Seriously tho, a TDS of 600?! Well I'll wait for the more knowledgeable members to come on to share with us how egg color is determined and if it would be reliable enough to determine what it is. Seriously, congrats on the nice finds tho!

Don't egg colors change as time goes on? And Ugh I wish i had the cash flow to start a shrimp shelf, let alone a sanctuary!! That's the dream since I have RO stores everywhere :) But alas no money no space :( Also the constant checking and water changes whew. Yes definitely TDS 600!! I acclimated the Tiger for a good 2 hours and it went to 450 TDS.. It's doing fine now

14331024_1121448384614882_33104022_n.jpg