Shrimp ID?

ohmiko

Hi all, new poster here! So I've been spending the last 3 days trying to figure out the EXACT same thing as the OP lol, and it's been nerve wracking! I went to a local Petco and saw similarly colored shrimp labeled "Orange Bee Shrimp" and had gotten quite confused. I'd always read that CRS/CBS & other Bee varieties required VERY stable, exact params, yet here they were in a Petco lol. The aquatics associate seemed relatively knowledgeable on shrimp keeping, and said they'd been there for a while and were thriving after being shipped, etc. Long story short, I bought three, brought them home and plopped them in with my RCS & Carbon Rili tank.

One has a similar racing stripe as ohmiko's #1 (mine is a male), and the other two look VERY similar to ohmiko's #2 shrimp, but much smaller and slightly less uniform golden pigment. These two are also much smaller, so I assume they're juvies. I couldn't figure out how in the world to attach photos (got a -200 error message?), but here are the links to the pictures of the best colored one: https://goo.gl/photos/fGVqNhUPp6LckoPy5https://goo.gl/photos/bycMrQ3HRKJgDQAV7https://goo.gl/photos/CmYRdnjhjrsbruv87 

**Sorry the photos may be blurry and my backup lighting is more blue and pretty weak for a 5g (10w CFL, 10,000K)**

When I googled pics of Golden Bee Shrimp, they look just like mine do, but mine appear to be more golden or yellow than white lol. Weird thing is, I have those 24k Goldenback Yellow Shrimp and they look completely different. The mystery shrimp seem to have the rugged, abrasive or "powdery" pigmentation to their carapace as opposed to what I'm used to seeing in cherries and the like. 

1 hour ago, Euryth said:

Hi all, new poster here! So I've been spending the last 3 days trying to figure out the EXACT same thing as the OP lol, and it's been nerve wracking! I went to a local Petco and saw similarly colored shrimp labeled "Orange Bee Shrimp" and had gotten quite confused. I'd always read that CRS/CBS & other Bee varieties required VERY stable, exact params, yet here they were in a Petco lol. The aquatics associate seemed relatively knowledgeable on shrimp keeping, and said they'd been there for a while and were thriving after being shipped, etc. Long story short, I bought three, brought them home and plopped them in with my RCS & Carbon Rili tank.

One has a similar racing stripe as ohmiko's #1 (mine is a male), and the other two look VERY similar to ohmiko's #2 shrimp, but much smaller and slightly less uniform golden pigment. These two are also much smaller, so I assume they're juvies. I couldn't figure out how in the world to attach photos (got a -200 error message?), but here are the links to the pictures of the best colored one: https://goo.gl/photos/fGVqNhUPp6LckoPy5https://goo.gl/photos/bycMrQ3HRKJgDQAV7https://goo.gl/photos/CmYRdnjhjrsbruv87 

**Sorry the photos may be blurry and my backup lighting is more blue and pretty weak for a 5g (10w CFL, 10,000K)**

When I googled pics of Golden Bee Shrimp, they look just like mine do, but mine appear to be more golden or yellow than white lol. Weird thing is, I have those 24k Goldenback Yellow Shrimp and they look completely different. The mystery shrimp seem to have the rugged, abrasive or "powdery" pigmentation to their carapace as opposed to what I'm used to seeing in cherries and the like. 

that looks right!! and i agree with the powdery pigmentation.  I looked up golden bee but mine doesnt look like it, well it kind of does but if I had both in one tank, i could definitely tell which was which. Mine has more solid opaqueness that then turns spotty at the bottom revealing a yellow orange transparent shell. However, that one is berried atm so I'm not sure if that affects the pigment. I have some babies in another tank, they're orange and show faint racing stripe line, not sure if it will gain opacity in it's shell as it grows or it's just a LQ version of it's mom. I googled orange bee previously and found it to look like what Soothing's video is like :( which brings me to conclude it's not Orange Bee, but just more mislabeling

12 minutes ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

There is an orange bee shrimp.  You can check to see if yours resemble this guy's colony.

Hmm, no resemblance from what my guys or girls look like. at all. I ran around to different Petco's in my area to see if I could pick up some more, but couldn't find any that resembled the ones that look like ohmiko's and mine. I did buy two that look like they'd grow up to resemble Orange Bee/Sunkist Shrimp, or could be Orange Cherries. I would've bought more from the original Petco they came from, but the others looked like plain old Sakura grade Yellow Shrimp/Goldenbacks. 

4 minutes ago, ohmiko said:

that looks right!! and i agree with the powdery pigmentation.  I looked up golden bee but mine doesnt look like it, well it kind of does but if I had both in one tank, i could definitely tell which was which. Mine has more solid opaqueness that then turns spotty at the bottom revealing a yellow orange transparent shell. However, that one is berried atm so I'm not sure if that affects the pigment. I have some babies in another tank, they're orange and show faint racing stripe line, not sure if it will gain opacity in it's shell as it grows or it's just a LQ version of it's mom. I googled orange bee previously and found it to look like what Soothing's video is like :( which brings me to conclude it's not Orange Bee, but just more mislabeling

Yes! See, I'm on the fence between it either being a lesser quality Golden Bee or a near Painted Yellow shrimp? Mine are too young for me to confidently sex them, so I can't tell just yet what I'll end up with. It looks like the one I pictured has some slight rounding of the shell where eggs would eventually be carried, but these two shrimp look and behave so differently from my Cherries and Rili that I'd find it hard to believe they were Yellows just like those in my other 2.5g! 

I've never heard of Painted yellow shrimp but that would be cool. the only name i know for it that i've seen in an actual store is Gold Flame shrimp which imo is pretty suiting :D sounds cool too

Next time you go, mind snapping a pic of those Gold Flames for us ohmiko? Also, could you grab pics of the babies belonging to one of those females you mentioned too? I'll try to see if I can get a better picture of either shrimp walking on the substrate. My second one has very faint pink, red or orange stripes along the tail segments, which would also make me think it couldn't be a Yellow Shrimp? :huh: At any rate, they're cool to watch lol, they walk around the substrate like their shell is a set of heavy armor or something and seem to be much less hyperactive and flexible than my neos

@Soothing Shrimp I haven't seen very many convincing or good photos of Painted Fire Yellows, but would you happen to know if our shrimp could possibly be a match? Is it safe to rule out these shrimp as possible Golden Bee Shrimp? 

37 minutes ago, Euryth said:

Next time you go, mind snapping a pic of those Gold Flames for us ohmiko? Also, could you grab pics of the babies belonging to one of those females you mentioned too? I'll try to see if I can get a better picture of either shrimp walking on the substrate. My second one has very faint pink, red or orange stripes along the tail segments, which would also make me think it couldn't be a Yellow Shrimp? :huh: At any rate, they're cool to watch lol, they walk around the substrate like their shell is a set of heavy armor or something and seem to be much less hyperactive and flexible than my neos

@Soothing Shrimp I haven't seen very many convincing or good photos of Painted Fire Yellows, but would you happen to know if our shrimp could possibly be a match? Is it safe to rule out these shrimp as possible Golden Bee Shrimp? 

ok but the LFS with Gold Flame is a different store from where I bought mine! bc that store has them for like $5-6 each and mine was way cheaper :))) but i will visit both in the following week to take pictures of both when they get shipments in. As for the baby, one of them got sucked up in my HOB filter and I took it out and put it with the tank that has my yellow and the orange one :))) Will get pics soon 

1 hour ago, Euryth said:

here's my very smole angels about 1 month old :o)14303662_1118092274950493_1812606659_o.jpg14285328_1118092341617153_1746366760_o.jpg

I can see the pigment slowly surfacing which makes me excited :3 

9 hours ago, Euryth said:

Well, if PFY exists as a strain it is a well guarded secret.  I've seen sports (one offs) but not consistancy. My Sunshine project was the closest I found over years of searching...and that died out.

Mayphly or Shrimpscales may be better to ask about goldens.

@ohmiko that little one is too cute lol! Interesting, the "Orange Bee Shrimp" I bought from another Petco looks like your little one. 

@Soothing Shrimp gotcha! I'll have to see if I can dig up any older threads on your Sunshine line. Hopefully Mayphly or Shrimpscales drop by to weigh in. 

I took some pics using my flash & zoom on my phone, so you can very clearly see the shell markings & pigmentation: 

#1 https://goo.gl/photos/xEhWKxf4oHTW5eoF8

#1 https://goo.gl/photos/hDGSphk2tzcHEn1j6

#2 https://goo.gl/photos/QCWuZRojnHRWzq829

#2 https://goo.gl/photos/FgGgxoYAA9f4Xb3E9 

The pics I posted yesterday are of #2 btw guys. Any thoughts? 

Euryth, going by phenotype, you have what looks like us "old timers" used to call a Grade G bee.

Once, they were the new thing. People wanted to selectively breed lines of them to increase pigment color.

Then they dropped out of fad, and goldens (as they are now called) became disposable.

The last person I've heard of selectively breeding them called hers Cheeto because they became so orange.  I think she lost interest in continuing her line years ago.

Here's  pic of a yellowish golden: 25000571.jpg

28 minutes ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Euryth, going by phenotype, you have what looks like us "old timers" used to call a Grade G bee.

Once, they were the new thing. People wanted to selectively breed lines of them to increase pigment color.

Then they dropped out of fad, and goldens (as they are now called) became disposable.

The last person I've heard of selectively breeding them called hers Cheeto because they became so orange.  I think she lost interest in continuing her line years ago.

Here's  pic of a yellowish golden: 25000571.jpg

Thank you so much, Soothing-Sensei ?! I'll have to do my research on these Grade G Bees and learn what I can. Do they require husbandry similar to Neos or most other cards? They appear to be thriving in my neo tank as of now, but would still want the best for them if I could improve something. 

Do you think ohmiko's shrimp may be better quality Grade G Bees as well? I'd like a few more to keep them company if I could find them lol. 

Goldens are pretty common. 

Crystals throw them.  They used to be bred to crs for higher grade patterns.  When pure red lines came in, demand for goldens plummeted. 

Now you can find goldens for $2-3 each.

Care is the same as crs.  They may be used to your params now.

1 minute ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Goldens are pretty common. 

Crystals throw them.  They used to be bred to crs for higher grade patterns.  When pure red lines came in, demand for goldens plummeted. 

Now you can find goldens for $2-3 each.

Oh, well in that case, I've done my homework on goldens pretty well lol. I just couldn't tell definitively what mine were since most "goldens" I see now are much whiter with gold/yellow flesh or are called snow white/golden bees. Hopefully I have a pair, I've grown quite fond of seeing them in the tank lol. 

idk if its that still. The yellow golden here has like really spotty opaque pigment but mine is straight up solid from the stripe and only appears spotty towards the bottom. Even the Lower quality ones that are more transparent have solid color starting from the top. so i'm still unsure

19 minutes ago, ohmiko said:

idk if its that still. The yellow golden here has like really spotty opaque pigment but mine is straight up solid from the stripe and only appears spotty towards the bottom. Even the Lower quality ones that are more transparent have solid color starting from the top. so i'm still unsure

I know exactly what you mean @ohmiko. I have one that looks just like your striped shrimp in my tank too, but it reminds me more of a golden back yellow shrimp, unless there are some golden bees with striped patterns & diminished pigmentation. Imo, the two solid yellow shrimp in the net in your first post look like golden bees? ?

1 minute ago, Euryth said:

I know exactly what you mean @ohmiko. I have one that looks just like your striped shrimp in my tank too, but it reminds me more of a golden back yellow shrimp, unless there are some golden bees with striped patterns & diminished pigmentation. Imo, the two solid yellow shrimp in the net in your first post look like golden bees? ?

It's just so hard to describe with pictures and words it's like only able to describe if you see it in person. I just look at them and know 100% they're not bees :( If I had the golden bees i could prob take pics of both. Maybe ill get a digital camera and take pics 

That might be a great idea! I believe it made it easier to see the markings & pigmentation on my shrimp when I used the flash with my phone's camera. Why don't you try that? Either that or a digital camera with flash should work fine. 

Also, would you happen to know if your female shrimp bred with others like her or others in the tank? Any other species/varieties in with her?

30 minutes ago, Euryth said:

That might be a great idea! I believe it made it easier to see the markings & pigmentation on my shrimp when I used the flash with my phone's camera. Why don't you try that? Either that or a digital camera with flash should work fine. 

Also, would you happen to know if your female shrimp bred with others like her or others in the tank? Any other species/varieties in with her?

I bought them berried, based on the transaction of imported shrimp I had experienced this summer with my blue rilis, they breed during shipment / come already berried from the farms, and the LFS i get them from, their shrimp are always majority berried already. So high chances this female mated with the same kind like herself. Right now, they are sitting in my yellow goldenback tanks. I am waiting for them to berry up. The good thing about this is if the other one gets berried, I'll know its by neo because both are female and the only male is goldenback yellow :)

SAM_0274.JPGSAM_0275.JPG

this is what I got.... I had to fiddle with the flash and camera setting because it wouldnt focus at all and Zoom made it blurry!! :( But as you can see, it's very different from golden bee. It's like a fishbone pattern was unable to be controlled and took over the outer shell >:) 

@ohmiko great job on the pics! After seeing her up close, I've gotta say that screams Golden Bee to me lol. She's like an older, better colored version of the #2 shrimp I posted links to pics of a few hours ago. Even if I just type in "golden bee shrimp" in google images, I feel like I'm looking at nearly identical shrimp: here. I'd expect that like other varieties, there can be a lot of variation in intensity and coverage of the yellow/golden color on the carapace, and that yours may be a representation of that! 

Either way, I think it's kinda cool I stumbled upon these on a spur of the moment trip lol. I didn't want anything in my tanks that couldn't reproduce when thriving. Thought I'd have to order them from aquabid or a forum marketplace or something ^_^

But isnt golden bee caridina though? My water isn't acidic at all. I would expect death after a day of introducing into my neo tank. Thats my doubt. I would expect if I bought golden bees from someone else and put them in my neo tank, it would die almost instantly. I remember seeing someone try to create CRS that were bred in tap and they died fast. I think golden bee is way different because it's opaque pigment seems cream/white based as opposed to what I have which is a strong light yellow. But im so glad you found them too when you did! Wouldn't like to be the only one dealing with a mystery!!. Maybe I will go later and pick up a male/female and put it into a breeding box with my goldenback and see what happens. If something does happen, golden bee is ruled out and it is neo :) This is like a private biology project! How exciting. I'm going to channel my Middle school science fair energy into this

1 hour ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Goldens can have a yellowish shell pigment, while snows have whitish.

Some people keep crs in 7+ successfully. Dazalea is one.

I have a PRL and a BKK misch that crawled out into my RCS tank with a PH of 7.3 and TDS around 230 and have been in that tank for almost nine months now. Germans successfully keep/breed Cardina shrimps in Neo parameters.