Shrimp ID?

ohmiko

@Euryth Went to the two LFS that I know carry the shrimp today since they get shipments tuesdays

This is the one i bought them from. Lack of orange because they didn't get anymore but they did have black shrimp for 2.50 which i totally bought14331092_1121407417952312_321705319_n.jpg14348632_1121407051285682_1185451369_n.jpg

and here's their betta collection just for funsies [emoji4]14341409_1121407097952344_1852499737_n.jpg

This is the other fish store that I never buy shrimp from unless it's berried/my favorite. The price is more $$ and their water is questionable but they always have tons of shrimp. Two names: Gold Flame shrimp, Orange Flame Shrimp. And also their super reds cherry14348923_1121407177952336_881917849_n.jpg14331074_1121407251285662_77761874_n.jpg

14365489_1121407287952325_325121346_n.jpg14371994_1121407344618986_1326898822_n.jpg14365306_1121407377952316_2108612601_n.jpg14331672_1121407384618982_360733297_n.jpg

This place looks awesome!

REST IN PIECES :(((( i knew it seemed weak. I never saw it swim or walk. I just saw it perched in one area ever since I got it :( The goldenback-y one is fine tho it's very active

14429476_1126941820732205_1122889390_n.jpg

Sorry to hear that @ohmiko. I lost one of the two Golden Bees I posted pictures of a few days ago, but was luckily able to remove the mostly uneaten body and freeze it so I can return it. I messed with my parameters in the tank, and they all shifted a bit which was probably too much for 4 shrimp, including the GB =(

Any idea what may have happened? 

3 hours ago, Euryth said:

Sorry to hear that @ohmiko. I lost one of the two Golden Bees I posted pictures of a few days ago, but was luckily able to remove the mostly uneaten body and freeze it so I can return it. I messed with my parameters in the tank, and they all shifted a bit which was probably too much for 4 shrimp, including the GB =(

Any idea what may have happened? 

Well considering it's an adult shrimp, I just assume it was one of the weaker ones that couldn't acclimate successfully :( and over time just got sick but I can't tell since it's body is opaque so there;s no way to see if it has cloudy body

One thing I've learned in this hobby is that shrimp seem to die without any rhyme or reason. Once parameters are within an acceptable range and stable, tank is mature or hospitable, and any vitamins or minerals needed are provided thru food or other means, not much one can do more than that. If one dies and others don't follow suit, I'd just chalk it up to Mother Nature. 

My female Goldenback shrimp just decided she was tired of life a few days ago and left her two boyfriends all alone, both of whom survived without any issues or incident. I hated to lose her, but I have no idea what was going on with her since my parameters were stable and the boys were fine.

2 hours ago, Euryth said:

One thing I've learned in this hobby is that shrimp seem to die without any rhyme or reason. Once parameters are within an acceptable range and stable, tank is mature or hospitable, and any vitamins or minerals needed are provided thru food or other means, not much one can do more than that. If one dies and others don't follow suit, I'd just chalk it up to Mother Nature. 

My female Goldenback shrimp just decided she was tired of life a few days ago and left her two boyfriends all alone, both of whom survived without any issues or incident. I hated to lose her, but I have no idea what was going on with her since my parameters were stable and the boys were fine.

that happened to my golden back colony! I had a great small colony starting off like 15 then all the girls just disappeared but the babies grew up and became male only LMAO

Sounds like you had a regular old frat house @ohmiko LOL! Have any of the babies taken on the color of the mother you lost yet? I believe I only had male Golden Bees sadly, and have been trying to track them down at my local Petco's with no luck. Seems they never know when they will actually receive the shipments they request, or if the shrimp will even be included if they do get them. 

I'm thinking about moving them in case they hybridize with my BB mischlinge. Not sure how the offspring would turn out-more blue & gold than blue and white, some snow white and more gold, etc.? 

They're still relatively small about a month old or a little bit more. They're orange and have speckling opacity line on their back. I'd assume as they get bigger, the color becomes more apparent!

6 hours ago, Euryth said:

Sounds like you had a regular old frat house @ohmiko LOL! Have any of the babies taken on the color of the mother you lost yet? I believe I only had male Golden Bees sadly, and have been trying to track them down at my local Petco's with no luck. Seems they never know when they will actually receive the shipments they request, or if the shrimp will even be included if they do get them. 

I'm thinking about moving them in case they hybridize with my BB mischlinge. Not sure how the offspring would turn out-more blue & gold than blue and white, some snow white and more gold, etc.? 

That sounds about right in regards to what I've seen on one of the newer shrimp I bought. It started out as having that goldenback stripe, but it was unusually wide for a goldenback when I bought it. Over the last week or so, I noticed that the whole right side of the shrimp turned that dark yellow/gold color, and the other side looked like the color was creeping down. I'll have to look for it again, but the last I remember, this shrimp I'm talking about it completely dark yellow/gold and opaque!