A Dummies guide to homemade food?

So I have been doing some research: Internet, backs of packages, starting Into vol 2 of B&K but haven't come across much information on where to begin in making homemade food for shrimp.

I have compiled a nice list of ingredients, but only know of one way to bind them. I don't know how much to use or to save some ingredients to make several different kinds (as it seems most people do). I don't intend on selling it, but I really like the idea of making food for my shrimp. Especially having more control of what it is and where it comes from!

I am wondering if anyone knows of any info, whether personal, on the web, or even books that could give me a start in the right direction? I'm sure most of this will be trial and error for me but that first push on the bike is what I am needing!

Also sorry if this is in the wrong area :)

-Duffy

Hopefully not to bring up past wounds, but why did you fail miserably? I found out about the agar agar and will probably have fun today just mixing stuff together and seeing what happens.

-Duffy

When I made my own food, I just blended dry river shrimp, red bell pepper, zucchini, kale, nettle, spinach, spirulina tablets, thawed brine shrimp into a mush. Then drained as much liquid as I could spread it on a parchment paper on a cookie sheet so it was a thin layer maybe 1/2 centimeter thick and baked it on the lowest setting of the oven for the whole day then let it air dry the rest of the way.

I could make about 60-80 grams of food this way.

Hmmm, do you think instead of baking it all day, a food dehydrator would work well as a substitute? Sadly my gf would kill me If I had the oven running all day :/ I like the sound of just mixing everything together and baking it tho.

-Duffy

When you blend all the ingredients into a mush, there's no need to add water everything makes a type of paste when you drain the excess moisture after blending. No agar is needed after you bake it and let it air dry,

I'm sure you could use a food dehydrator but it is likely to take several days

I bet a dehydrator would work just fine. Might take a bit longer, but the lower temps you can get from some dehydrators (as opposed to oven) might be good for nutrient preservation as well. Thin layer on the "fruit-rollup" tray should work, in theory.

I think I'm getting a dehydrator after I move in the next month. If anything to dry veggies and fruit for powdering them. Mmmmm I can taste it now, nettle/spirulina fruit Rollups with a dash of brine shrimp.

-Duffy

Let us know how it goes! I have tried homemade food in the past and it has worked ok. I just get worried because I use the food processor we use for everything else when I cook, so I worry about contamination (how clean is clean enough right?). I'm curious how to use the agar effectively, I have read different methods of using it in this fashion.

I have a few small bags of things I want to use and I figure to mess around with them today. Ill def keep people posted on my findings. Maybe make another post to follow once I start getting more seriously into it

-Duffy

I found another video and posted it in DIY food thread.

there is alot of conflicting views and substances such as carbs and sugars and starches.

but I'm going to assume you can make shrimp food in the same way as fish food. I'm going to try and make both. Freeze them and thaw as needed.

or get my grandpas dehydrator

What is everyones thoughts on adding fruit to shrimp food? I'm not sure if they would be able to process them or not, but something like concentrated pomegranate has great anti-oxidant and would help boost the immune system, or like extra vitamin C from orange zest/shaved orange peels

When I'm not super tired ill see if i can't do a search.