A Dummies guide to homemade food?

So when we cycle a tank why not introduce sugar to the water column for fast growth of bb

There may be some beneficial sugar-eating bacteria, but when cycling, what you *really* want are the ammonia eating ones (and then the nitrite-lovers after that) and I'm pretty sure they don't overlap a lot. So that's why you'd "feed" plain ammonia during the cycle. Your tank isn't going to face a frequent load of brown sugar that needs digesting (hopefully?) so you probably don't need to beef up those guys. (If you have excess brown sugar, you should send it to me, not give it to your tank...)

ETA it'd be interesting to know if there were some microflora changes after feeding fruit that has sugars though, and whether all the microbes could coexist if you did it in small amounts.

Doesn't Jake make a papaya mix of some kind? Or did I make that up?

ETA2 found it! It was an old treat offering, recommended occasional feeding only. Link

There are at least some low sugar fruits like blackberries, rhubarb, and Limes to use so they at least don't add a high amount of sugar. However at that point I doubt it would even be worth the time, money and nutritional value to add them

-Duffy

I don't think sugars in a food would be bad if the food is eaten relatively quickly. If the food doesn't sit in the tank for a while then no bacteria build up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The challenge is that there is always uneaten particles of food in the water.

On the fun topic of food leaking into the tank. How beneficial do you think it would be to add some sort of tannin/humid acid to the food? I wouldn't think ingesting it would cause any harm, but may prove helpful?

-Duffy

Nice article :) I'm curious why you basically boiled the distilled then added the agar agar and potassium sorbate. I also like the idea of using distilled water

And now all I can think about is pushing my shrimp food dough/paste through those playdough food kits hahaha

-Duffy

Edited by Duff0712

Nice article :) I'm curious why you basically boiled the distilled then added the agar agar and potassium sorbate. I also like the idea of using distilled water

And now all I can think about is pushing my shrimp food dough/paste through those playdough food kits hahaha

-Duffy

Agar agar only dissolve well when you cook it. Thus, you need to boil/double boil the water and continuously stirring it. If distilled water is not readily accessible, you can use RO water. Reason for me to use distilled water is to prevent microbe that is not filtered away from RO, just an addition precaution.

With my method of preparation, my wafers are safe to keep up to a year. Usually, I will bake these wafer once or twice a year; my shrimps consume at least 120g of wafers every month.

And now all I can think about is pushing my shrimp food dough/paste through those playdough food kits hahaha  <---- I tried this by using those that use for making cookie or cake. However due to the stickiness of agar agar and the hardness of the dough (using lesser water is better), it is very hard to push them out.

All the bags have that rip away part to open them. How do you fill it and then close it?

I don't want to have to buy a machine to use them. I want to put my food in roll it flat and then zip it and freeze it...

They do make aluminum bags that have one clear side, but like he said that defats the purpose of the aluminum bag - namely, that no light gets through. exposure to light degrades food.

I'm. It concerned about light penetrating it as it will be a frozen food.

I am familiar with the brand I'll look into that. I found tons of bags, but I'm not sure what a good size would be for a flat pack. 3x5. 4x6. 5x5 ??? Lol