Been lurking for awhile

briscoe

Hello all.  I joined a few weeks back but never got my validation, so I couldn't post.  It finally came through, so I can join in on the fun.  I only have fire red shrimp and malawa shrimp right now.  My latest venture into keeping crystal shrimp went about as well as the last time.  Which is not good at all.  My tap water sucks, so I tried using RO from a filtered water machine at the local acme.  And still couldn't make it work.  So frustrating.

Anyway, glad this forum is here, I enjoy checking it out on a daily basis.

Welcome Briscoe I can not tell you a lot about keeping shrimp but I can tell you that this is one of the most helpful and friendly forums on the whole www.

Welcome!

RO from the store machine is always a crapshoot on whether they changed filters or not.  Do you have a TDS pen for yourself?

Thanks.  I do have a TDS pen, and every time that I checked the store machine water, it was either zero or really close to zero.

Welcome Briscoe I can not tell you a lot about keeping shrimp but I can tell you that this is one of the most helpful and friendly forums on the whole www.

Agreed!  A lot of the people on here I've seen in other various places on the interwebz, so I know how knowledgeable they are.

Using ro water needs to be remineralizer. And a buffering substrate is always beat when keepyinf crystals.

hello, and welcome to the shrimp spot

I used salty shrimp GH+.  But I'm pretty sure that my problem stems from not having buffering substrate, like you said.  I used eco complete in one tank, and black diamond blasting grit in the other.

I used salty shrimp GH+.  But I'm pretty sure that my problem stems from not having buffering substrate, like you said.  I used eco complete in one tank, and black diamond blasting grit in the other.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

You can order Amazonia from aquaforestaquarium.com

But I would order 3 bags to make shipping for while, plus you'll have tons extra for future tanks or swap outs.

:)

Great to have you!  I like your avatar.