Anyone speak German? Wish I could find this filter!

I thought this was really neat...everything about it screams shrimp tank.

http://aquariumnano.blogspot.de/2014/06/jbl-cristalprofi-m-greenline_19.html?m=1

I stumbled across this last night...I do not speak German, really wish I did right now. How cool does this filter look? I want this. SO.BAD.

you can make something like this easily with foam and some PVC piping for air.  It is called a Mattenfilter.  I bought the foam from SwissTropicals I use these in almost all my shrimp tanks.  Here is some additional information on them.

Looks,

JBL is also sold in the US.  I am inclined to think that not all their stuff is but if you look around some things are.  Ebay for one but other sites might have it.

That would be really easy to diy cool design, can remove it to clean semi shrimp proof as in hard to climb to other side power head driven. It's like the bmw of hmf.

you can make something like this easily with foam and some PVC piping for air.  It is called a Mattenfilter.  I bought the foam from SwissTropicals I use these in almost all my shrimp tanks.  Here is some additional information on them.

Thank you for the link. I've heard of them, but never looked into how they work before. We mostly use HOBs and canisters. That makes a lot of sense though, sort of recreating a "sludge bank" where all the magic happens. How often do you end up cleaning it to restore flow?

Looks,

JBL is also sold in the US.  I am inclined to think that not all their stuff is but if you look around some things are.  Ebay for one but other sites might have it.

I will definitely start hunting!

I haven't cleaned mine in 2 years :)

Thank you! So it's a review, looks like. I found the JBL website in english, but they don't do sales. Found some ebay sellers, but they don't ship to the US. Looks like I'll have to just keep dreaming.

I haven't cleaned mine in 2 years :)

Good to know!

True. I'm wondering if it might be a power cord issue as well... I saw on one of the ebay sellers descriptions (in germany) that buyers in the UK would recieve an adapter.

Cool as the filter looks, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost to ship from overseas as well as find an adapter for...boo.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think that you are supposed to clean this type of filter often unless you run a sand substrate.The idea is that the large foam pad get colonized by nitrifying bacteria and you will destroy it if you clean it. Why not just plant a moss wall on it? The moss will grow like crazy and keep thye foam clean while doing so and the shrimp and shrimplets will keep the moss clean a real balanced system and a all round win win situation.

Google diy Hamburg mattenfilter there is a lot of variations on the theme and they all have one thing in common being that it works like a charm.

Google translate or chrome will also translate the page for you. I stalk their sites all,the time and Facebook lol. Lots of great info on shrimps that,they have.

Only thing that sucks is the filters are relatively expensive in the beginning but are to last for years. I have 4 of them running on a tank to test.