ShrimpFan's All Things Shrimps

Ch3fb0yrdee

Hi Det,

Do you plan to use the camera for other purpose?

Take a look at this thread in another forum, I was discussing with one of the Aussie shrimp keeper about what camera to choose: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/8206-camera-advice-please/

The camera would primarily be for taking macro shots of my shrimp. Thank you for the reply as well on the previous page, really helpful.

@James-

I’m not sure to be honest with you. My knowledge of Tigers species in general is very limited. Do Royals have orange eyes? I know that my buddy said all the OEBT x Royal babies have the signature orange eyes of the OEBT. The babies also have a deeper bluish/blackish coloring.

I don’t believe it was his original intent to breed for the orange eyes, but he mixed because he just wanted to keep tigers.

Again, I need someone to confirm or clarify for me. No idea if Royals already have the special eyes.

@DET-

Same for me. But I’m growing tired of just doing shrimp photos. I want to move on to taking photos of human models…female human models… LOL!

Yes, Royal Blue has golden eyes.

Only Black Tigers have black eyes.

Ohh. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Good thing I'm still in line for Royals.

I'll take my buddies mix and play around with them. Colors looks amazing and still better than my OEBT.

Ohh. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Good thing I'm still in line for Royals.

I'll take my buddies mix and play around with them. Colors looks amazing and still better than my OEBT.

If color is solid, it's Royal Blue, if it has stripes, then it's OEBT.

The camera would primarily be for taking macro shots of my shrimp. Thank you for the reply as well on the previous page, really helpful.

You are welcome. ^^

If the camera is purely for taking shrimp picture, then you have no worries that about size or media storage issue. In this case, get a full-frame camera body that has high pixel count. In this way, you could have the flexibility of shooting the photo at any distance (not worrying of filling up the shrimp in entire frame) and after that crop and resize.

I'm a Fuji and Nikon guy, thus for me I will suggest Nikon D810 with Micro-Nikkor 105mm lens.

You are welcome. ^^

If the camera is purely for taking shrimp picture, then you have no worries that about size or media storage issue. In this case, get a full-frame camera body that has high pixel count. In this way, you could have the flexibility of shooting the photo at any distance (not worrying of filling up the shrimp in entire frame) and after that crop and resize.

I'm a Fuji and Nikon guy, thus for me I will suggest Nikon D810 with Micro-Nikkor 105mm lens.

Perfect. That is the direction I will start then. I appreciate your input.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys:

The RedBees are doing really well, but the population is nowhere as big or robust as the BlackBees. If I were to estimate, I would say that my BlackBees outnumber my RedBees 10:1. I tried taking photos of the BlackBees when I was doing photos of the RedBees but I couldn’t take any good pictures. The BlackBees are just too quick and active. The constant swimming makes for a difficult photo-shoot. I’ll make another attempt with the BlackBees later this week when there’s more time to play around with the camera.

I’m really happy with the quality of these shrimps. The RedBees have just the best red colors. I’ve seen a lot of PRL and kept many and these have the best reds, hands down. A lot of folks are interested in the White color and typically discuss the white-ness of their PRL. But for myself, I love the Red.

To me, the red color is very important. After all, they’re called Pure RED Lines or Japanese RED Bees, right?

Also, I received a few (6) Ellen Wang PRL from a buddy. I’ll post pictures later but I have to admit they look pretty nice. My buddy (JimKo) got his originally from MaxKenji (I believe) and he’s spent a lot of time working on improving the line. Got a chance to hand pick the 6 and I’m very excited to breed these. This was about 2-3 months back. One of the females matured and is berried, since then.

I’ll keep y’all posted. Thanks for reading!

PS: Will get HQ photos up on blogger if y’all wanna see some HQ stuff.

• 1 month later...

ShrimpFan, 

I have to ask..........your breeder box (and tank wall) is coated with what appears to be super awesome biofilm.  I see this in other peoples tanks, often coating the feeding dishes.

What is the secret to growing this?  How long did it take to reach these levels?

Hello!

This is an algae. Not to be mistaken by biofilm. Biofilm doesn't look like this nor is it green in color. This is just good 'ol GDA grown from neglect. I wish i didn't have it but since I do, I just clean the front. I only need to clean the front because I need a clean front to do photos, and my sides are tinted so it's barely noticeable.

Are you trying to cultivate your Biofilm?

I mean sure, I use Bacter AE in hopes of having healthy biofilm for ze scrimps.  Aside from that I'm not doing anything special to grow biofilm aside from not cleaning any glass surface aside from the tank front.

Is the GDA as good of a food source for shrimps and babies as it looks?  In the one photo of yours, and any other I've seen with the stuff, the shrimp are all over it.

@ DET,

Thank you! I’m working really hard on culling. I’m being very aggressive in my culling procedures when it comes to these JRB. I’m a bit more stricter on my JRB than my JBB. I don’t want to make it into a bad habit that just because the tanks containing the JRB and JBB are not located where I’m living that the shrimps can grow and breed wildly. As such, I’m making efforts to cull each and every time I’m over my parents.

@Shrimple Minded,

I see. I never got the Bacter AE, but I use my own baby bacter with a mixture of other powered foods. I actually like feeling powdered foods more than normal pelleted foods. When I do feed pelleted foods, it’s either straw pellets or snowflake, but those occasions are rare. I think all tanks should have biofilm to some level. I wouldn’t stress the whole bio-film too much. I’m sure you have some sort of moss and also feed food, so your shrimps will be happy.

As for if GDA is good or not, I cannot comment. It’s a delightful sight to see them use it to cling on an otherwise really smooth glass surface. I’m sure they’re finding some benefit from the GDA, maybe on a microscopic level, so I’m happy to leave it growing. To me, GDA is much better than the other types of algae currently plaguing our other members. I know that when I scrape my glass for pictures, they LOVE to swarm the algae bits that floats to the bottom and laying on top of the substrate. I use it to lure them in for photo opportunities. Also, I find that having a little bit of GDA growing on rocks/driftwood gives the tank a “aged” look. It adds green to an otherwise boring scape.

You may or may not be able to see, but most of my tanks have a lot of fissiends. I’m sort of big on fissidens. It’s my top 3 favorite types of moss.