ShrimpFan's All Things Shrimps

Ch3fb0yrdee

Having a "hook" to shrimps overseas is amazing! I didn't realize jumpsmasher was so well connected! [emoji1]

If you can, try to source some locals instead of the bigger brands. Benibachi is big but over the years they seems to have shifted their demographic over to HK and China moreso than Japan. I don't know how big of a presence they still hold in the Japanese dominated market but the brand is world renown. Look for brands such as K-Brand (huge in Japan and are the same brand/lineages as my JBBs), Crimson is still really big, and a few others that can be found on Lowkeys website. They list their breeders with a link to the breeders blogger (blogs are big overseas) so it's a good way for you to gauge what you want.

Do you have a link to that page with all the breeders blogs. I'd love to get lost in that. Haha.

I had a really serene and profound moment laying in my bed last night in the dark. With all the hustle and bustle of work and life, I had forgotten why I got into shrimp keeping and aquaria. As I layed in bed and the only light source in the room was my aquarium light, I realized how peaceful it was and how much I forget to enjoy my tanks. I know we all have many tanks filled with many shrimps, but how often do we actually get a moment and enjoy the tanks. I layed in bed and just stared at the tank for some unknown lengths of time. I saw a bunch of the babies just swimming around up and down the tank. 

Really profound and beautiful experience. I hope more folks get the chance to just stand and stare at their tanks and remember to enjoy the reasons why we got into shrimp keeping and aquaria.

What I was looking at in the dark.

Red%20Bee%20tank-2_zps7wu3eaax.jpg

Whooooo!!!! New photos for y'all! I'm so very excited to share  :D

Firstly, The J.RedBees and RedBees juvis.

DSCF2588_zpsgwst2vwb.jpg

DSCF2592_zpsu3vuiryp.jpg

DSCF2591_zpsgavcy706.jpg

DSCF2602_zpssoxhuiji.jpg

DSCF2596_zpsvwq2oy3i.jpg

DSCF2566_zpsarx4b5yf.jpg

DSCF2565_zpskbhrcj99.jpg

^ This is a newborn. I'm super amazed at the color. I have to give it up to my male. He is such a champ.  :sword:

J.BlackBees and BlackBees juvis.

DSCF2582_zpsvryqmbl0.jpg

DSCF2578_zpsmyctociq.jpg

DSCF2580_zpswdpxoiba.jpg

DSCF2580_zpswdpxoiba.jpg

DSCF2579_zpsumzxbmzs.jpg

DSCF2604_zpsdlcj3l1a.jpg

^The growing family.  :goodjob:

Someone PLEASE PLEASE confirm with me that they're also seeing the blue tint in the 2nd and 3rd to last photos of the BlackBees. They're about 2 months old and I'm feeling like I'm already seeing the Blue Faced forming on the rostrum.  :crazysmile:

• 2 weeks later...

BlackBees. Photo taken this past weekend.

DSCF2896_zps3p1vz3fj.jpg

^ She is one of the many first-time moms for the 25Cube. Babies from the first brood have grown into adulthood and started breeding. I did a count of the numbers of BlackBees inside the 25Cube and came up with roughly 90. :D

BlackBees. Photo taken this past weekend.

DSCF2896_zps3p1vz3fj.jpg

^ She is one of the many first time moms of the 25Cube. Babies from the first brood has grown into adulthood and start breeding. I did a rough count of shrimps for the tank and came up with roughly 90.  :D

So you will be selling some soon? :thumbsu:

What will you do with your culls?

Guys like fried shrimps? [emoji12]

post-210-14272130935_thumb.jpg

But in all honesty, I would separate into a dedicated cull tank and further breed. I plan on moving most of the males into a tank and only keeping 5-8 of the best males in the main breeding tank. If the culls produce exceptional babies then I'll move the babies back and continue breeding. I believe this is how farms in Asia do it.

Guys like fried shrimps? [emoji12]

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1427213094.398185.jpg

But in all honesty, I would separate into a dedicated cull tank and further breed. I plan on moving most of the males into a tank and only keeping 5-8 of the best males in the main breeding tank. If the culls produce exceptional babies then I'll move the babies back and continue breeding. I believe this is how farms in Asia do it.

Sounds pretty similar to what I'll be doing with my PRL but nothing will move back into the main tank, they just remain to increase quality of cull tank. Culls from the cull tank go intoy marbled crayfish tank, surprisingly they seem to be doing just fine and growing. I don't monitor parameters in that tank often.

How many did you start with? I've got my new tank cycling right now for my E2s, it'll look pretty funny with only 4 shrimp in a 40 gallon.

If the cull breeds an exceptional shrimp, I would move it back, but those standards are high. I don’t know if that WILL happen, but I would move the cull back if it does happen. I still need to explore my options. I don’t have a means to destroy the shrimps, and honestly, I don’t know if I have the heart to flat out destroy them. I may just give culls to friends and family locally. I have a close friend that just wants to have success breeding shrimps, as such, I may just hand them to him. He won’t sell the culls so I’m not concern over their fate.

Shrimps are more durable than folks give them credit for. I think we over baby our shrimps because they’re expensive and deemed as fragile.

I started off with4 Japanese RedBees and 5 Japanese BlackBees but I lost 1 of the J. BlackBees not too long after. I took a really big risk buying only 1 male of each so I’ve very fortunate that all the males made it. My J.BlackBee colony has thrived but my J.RedBee colony is lagging. My Blue Faced Female J.BlackBee is a breeding machine. She just constantly throws out a ton of babies, that’s why I have so many.

In no time the 4 inside the 40G will be many inside a 40G, trust me.