Shrimp Spot Shrimp Show?

Soothing Shrimp

Randy. care to share where you are going? I was also planning a trip shortly after to also meet some breeders, larger stores, and gf's fam.

I'll visit Crimson Taiwan, MK, some breeding facilities in southern Taiwan in a special agriculture zone, and a few other of my suppliers. Probably too many for my 3 weeks stay, I will see how much I can do.

I'll visit Crimson Taiwan, MK, some breeding facilities in southern Taiwan in a special agriculture zone, and a few other of my suppliers. Probably too many for my 3 weeks stay, I will see how much I can do.

cool trip!  I'll probably catch up with Aaron also.  

Guys, I love the idea and sounds great!  but the logistics to pull this off is a little ahead of what the US is ready for I think......  having tanks and equipment ready is a logistical nightmare.  I think we are several years from really being able to pull something life this off to get the turn out

Guys, I love the idea and sounds great!  but the logistics to pull this off is a little ahead of what the US is ready for I think......  having tanks and equipment ready is a logistical nightmare.  I think we are several years from really being able to pull something life this off to get the turn out

The first is always hard ...

Also, in most of the mail in competition, shrimps are auctioned in the end so the organizers don't need to worry about shipping them back. This is another thing to think of in the process.

The first is always hard ...

Also, in most of the mail in competition, shrimps are auctioned in the end so the organizers don't need to worry about shipping them back. This is another thing to think of in the process.

However if you want to auction things, people need to attend. I agree with randy (maybe a bit of a pessimistic view) but the US is difficult to do this in. For example, shipping a packet in Germany for up to 4kg (8.8lb) costs 4euro (last time I did this was december last year). I understand the US is several times larger than Germany, but that's also my point. You can do online auctions I guess, but I think the logistics and attendance might be a problem and then you still need to ship the shrimp.

Regional meetings might be the way to go such as a show for all the US mainly focused on the west coast though, etc. Sucks for the east coast, but let's face it, the shrimp scene here is not nearly as developed as it is on the west coast. Just my two cents.

Edited by hobbes1911

See, ive been trying to figure out how to get others in my area into shrimping... I just havent come up with an idea. We have a town fair twice a year and ive been considering renting a booth and displaying shrimp to the public and maybe give away free cherries.

Great idea Bryce, but I also think shrimping is too early in it's infancy stage here in the US to go large scale as some of you may be thinking it would be.  More realistically, having it in CA would be ideal for attendance being there's many shrimpers here in CA compared to the rest of the US.  Also another issue is the type of shrimp State side folks will be showing here in the US is nothing compared to what Asia and Europe currently have and are developing.  It would just be more like a US shrimpers meet n greet/auction.  That's the way I see it at least. 

Though if there was ever an event, I would be more than happy help where I could. 

- Nick 

I agree its in its infancy but at the same time that's the best time to get people more interested. Because there are so many possibilities. Personally I'm not worried about other countries and what they have. But what wr have here and the potential we all hold and are breeding towards. Well said nick

It would just be more like a US shrimpers meet n greet/auction.

Nothing wrong with this, though! A hobby meet could be a good way to get started, no need for fancy show competition.

Regionally it might be worth it, though.

I'm on the wrong coast, but would be willing to drive a couple hours for a weekend meet, even if it were just to swap/sell/talk shrimp with people in person. I'd consider flying or driving further for an event that included vendor features and especially to support some short lecture-style or display based education on shrimp breeding and care. I could envision this linked to an aquascaping or other fish convention, and a "broaden your horizons" type attraction.

• 2 months later...

There is a thread today on the usa freshwater shrimp and plants facebook site about interest in a possible Vegas shrimp show next year with Chris Lukhaup. Sorry can't link to it.

They referenced this thread and mentioned mail in submissions and how traditionally the shrimp are auctioned off and proceeds given to a charity. They also talked about using kickstarter to generate seed money. Hope some of our members get get involved. Maybe randy can encourage some of his recent tour hosts to participate.

They referenced this thread and mentioned mail in submissions and how traditionally the shrimp are auctioned off and proceeds given to a charity. They also talked about using kickstarter to generate seed money. Hope some of our members get get involved. Maybe randy can encourage some of his recent tour hosts to participate.

Sounds great!  I've mentioned before how I feel that this is a great way to up the quality of the shrimp in the USA.

Do you have a link to the page?