Hey guys,

I've heard quite a few horror stories from people who had purchased cheap nets and ended up with shrimplets stuck in them. What is a good net that you would recommend for moving baby/juvenile shrimp?

Sincerely,

Christine

Just to add a new dimension, I'm getting a glass shrimp catcher which they don't see coming or run from and also it holds some water so the shrimp is transferred in water.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Shrimp-Catcher-/271631335156?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3f3e7d3ef4

3-D nets are the only ones I'll use now.  I guess I've been spoiled, but I don't have to worry about shrimp being injured during transfer.

I prefer the extension 3D nets because I can lengthen them or shorten them according to size of tank or under shelves.  I know I know, use a different net per tank, but I don't have a zillion dollars to spend on nets, so I just have a handful.

Honestly though, 3D nets (extendable or not) are awesome.  Once you try them, you'll never go back!

by FAR the best nets available in the US are the extendable ones I sell.  I will put them up against any other nets available.

I searched for a long while and tried many different versions of nets available

USA isnt really into fixed length nets which is a shame.

http://www.discobee.com/collections/shrimp-tank-supplies/products/extendable-3d-shrimp-net

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! I'd never heard of 3D nets before. I just have the regular flimsy ones from PetSmart. I guess I'll have to invest in one of them before my babies hatch. =)

Related with glass catcher, you would like to see below videos in case you are interested. I believe it's difficult to catch shrimps if they jump and jump but I agree that randy's trap is awesome  :thumbsu:

Also I know people DIY some bottles like below to use them as trap in the tank

zSh6dAI.jpg

I would be interested in purchasing the Glass Shrimp Catcher dependent on price. Does anyone know where to purchase these within the United States?

I would be interested in purchasing the Glass Shrimp Catcher dependent on price. Does anyone know where to purchase these within the United States?

I just ordered one on eBay, cost about $30 CDN including shipping from UK.

I just ordered one on eBay, cost about $30 CDN including shipping from UK.

Anywhere within the United States that your aware of?

I usually use brine shrimp nets if I am trying to move a lot of shrimp and a 3D net if I am targeting a specific shrimp.  The problem I run into with the 3D nets is they are not super deep so sometimes shrimp (especially tigers) will flip out of them when you take them out of the water.

The glass shrimp catcher's drawback that I see is if you get something unwanted such as bottom crud, it gets transferred too.

Also with a net, the water goes through it and pressure keeps the shrimp in while lifting the net out.  Seems to me that currents may happen in the glassware since water doesn't go through while taking it out and may help the shrimp to escape. (?)

Never had any experience with them, so I'll be interested in reviews of people who try them.

The glass shrimp catcher's drawback that I see is if you get something unwanted such as bottom crud, it gets transferred too.

Also with a net, the water goes through it and pressure keeps the shrimp in while lifting the net out.  Seems to me that currents may happen in the glassware since water doesn't go through while taking it out and may help the shrimp to escape. (?)

Never had any experience with them, so I'll be interested in reviews of people who try them.

I think the concept is that the shrimp don't really notice them or even mind them so you shouldn't be stirring up much crud when catching them.

It's costing me $30 to give it a try, I spend that much on parking and lunch every day.....I'll brown bag it for a couple of days if it doesn't deliver.

Probably will get flame for my comments below but here goes..

Personally, I find that the 3D nets ineffective at catching shrimps a majority of the time. Based on MY personal observations and experiences using it in MY own tanks, I find that the 3D nets are sluggish and hard to keep shrimps in once they're caught. Because the net being about a 1-1 1/2" deep, shrimps caught inside just swim right out. Sure, I can press the net against my glass and drag up and out, but I don't always have the luxury of netting it close to a glass surface.

I find myself chasing after them and cause a sort of "panicked" jumping behavior a majority of the time when using a 3D net. I believe it's more stressed inducing to the shrimps when you're forced to chasing after it than just a quick netting action. Simple in and out is much less stressful than constantly chasing a shrimp. Now, my tanks are planted with moss and we all know those critters will jump, swim, and hide. It's not ideal to us such a stiff net when attempting to catch them.

Given if your tanks are bare, I could see it being beneficial, but unfortunately my tanks are not.

Situations where I DO find these nets useful is when I've already netted shrimps for morning shipment. I usually isolate my selected 10-12 (whenever I'm selling) and I float them inside a box. It's easier to use a 3D net in this situation to get them out and into a bag.

Hey guys,

I've heard quite a few horror stories from people who had purchased cheap nets and ended up with shrimplets stuck in them. What is a good net that you would recommend for moving baby/juvenile shrimp?

Sincerely,

Christine

I've kept shrimps for 7yrs and I've literally NEVER had shrimps (babies included) stuck in them. Unless the person is very unobservant or something else, I can't imagine not seeing a shrimp stuck in a net...

"I've heard quite a few horror stories from people who had purchased cheap nets and ended up with shrimplets stuck in them." - I think what you mean to say is "shrimp specialty" nets vs "cheap" nets. I own a ton of the Fluval shrimp nets ($1-$2) and they work great. I've never netted a shrimp with my Fluval net and found legs or anything left behind.

If your goal is to move babies and juveniles, nets wouldn't be ideal. Use the bottle method and trap them inside with bait. I rarely have to relocate an entire colony, but I have done it before. I found that the bottle method (you can find another post with details on it) to be very effective.

*I am not endorsed by Fluval nor any other company. Opinions expressed by me is solely my own and as a means to shed light and share knowledge/insight.

Probably will get flame for my comments below but here goes..

Personally, I find that the 3D nets ineffective at catching shrimps a majority of the time. Based on MY personal observations and experiences using it in MY own tanks, I find that the 3D nets are sluggish and hard to keep shrimps in once they're caught. Because the net being about a 1-1 1/2" deep, shrimps caught inside just swim right out. Sure, I can press the net against my glass and drag up and out, but I don't always have the luxury of netting it close to a glass surface.

I find myself chasing after them and cause a sort of "panicked" jumping behavior a majority of the time when using a 3D net. I believe it's more stressed inducing to the shrimps when you're forced to chasing after it than just a quick netting action. Simple in and out is much less stressful than constantly chasing a shrimp. Now, my tanks are planted with moss and we all know those critters will jump, swim, and hide. It's not ideal to us such a stiff net when attempting to catch them.

Given if your tanks are bare, I could see it being beneficial, but unfortunately my tanks are not.

Situations where I DO find these nets useful is when I've already netted shrimps for morning shipment. I usually isolate my selected 10-12 (whenever I'm selling) and I float them inside a box. It's easier to use a 3D net in this situation to get them out and into a bag.

I've kept shrimps for 7yrs and I've literally NEVER had shrimps (babies included) stuck in them. Unless the person is very unobservant or something else, I can't imagine not seeing a shrimp stuck in a net...

"I've heard quite a few horror stories from people who had purchased cheap nets and ended up with shrimplets stuck in them." - I think what you mean to say is "shrimp specialty" nets vs "cheap" nets. I own a ton of the Fluval shrimp nets ($1-$2) and they work great. I've never netted a shrimp with my Fluval net and found legs or anything left behind.

If your goal is to move babies and juveniles, nets wouldn't be ideal. Use the bottle method and trap them inside with bait. I rarely have to relocate an entire colony, but I have done it before. I found that the bottle method (you can find another post with details on it) to be very effective.

*I am not endorsed by Fluval nor any other company. Opinions expressed by me is solely my own and as a means to shed light and share knowledge/insight.

How does a Fluval net make the shrimps not jump, swim, and hide? Or are you just saying once they're in the net, the shrimps are less likely to escape from a Fluval net?

I personally love the 3D nets and find them very easy to use EXCEPT when I'm trying to reach narrow places that a regular net will reach but the 3D net won't since it's bulky.