Shrimp Rack Questions

Well, the planning has begun. Whether or not it will be feasible in my apartment is another question, but we can get to that later!

What I have planned so far:

- 6-8 10g tanks

- one large air pump

- space heater for room instead of individual heaters

- keeping both neos and caridinas

- long strip lighting over shelf

- sliding glass lids on each tank

Questions: 

1. Is a central filtration system preferred over individual small hobs? Keeping in mind that I will keep the sponges in regardless.  The only concern I would have with a central filtration system is the lack of ability to change parameters in individual tanks for experimentation purposes.

2. Is there anything that I am missing?

3. What is your preferred setup?

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Due to the size of your setup I would stick with individual hob filters with sponges instead of trying to do a centralized filtration system.  If you are trying to keep both Neos and Caridinas you will run into problems making the water ideal for both.  Additionally you will likely have some baby shrimp that get through into other tanks. 

Thanks Oblongshrimp and Soothing! My sentiments are with you on the HOBs.

I had intended for there to be two systems, one for Neos and one for Caridinas (forgot to specify).  Feels a bit overkill, eh?

Is there anything else that I am forgetting in this setup?  Anything I should be aware of?

Simple is most definitely ideal!  My only concern is lack of flow. Which type of sponges/how would you position them?

I wouldn't even bother with HOBs at that point. 2 air powered sponge filters in each will be even easier.

DIY PVC closed loop for the air system and done.  keep it simple.

well first how do you plan on positioning the tanks on the rack? 

long ways or side ways?  air powered sponge filters actually provide plenty of flow especially 2 in a small 10G tank.

try to find the largest ones you can. the larger the sponge the better.

I like the dual sponge that use suction cup to the glass. these tend to provide more flow than the weighted ones.

I'm thinking long ways for viewing purposes :D

well first how do you plan on positioning the tanks on the rack? 

long ways or side ways?  air powered sponge filters actually provide plenty of flow especially 2 in a small 10G tank.

I don't want to impose on your thread but I have been contemplating setting up a rack with 15g-20g aquariums. Any suggested rack(s), and how many 15g-20g aquariums could I place on that particular rack?

Thank you

DET. first question is how you want to set them up on the rack. short ways or long ways? then how many you want per shelf. 

then you can decide on rack size/length.

I would prefer them to be long ways, horizontal. Preferably (2) per shelf 6 total on rack. It would need to be more of a shorter rack as I prefer canister filters, or even a rack that I could fit (3) per shelf.

Awesome, thanks Bonstoneric!

One more question:  Given what has been chosen for filtration, how should the substrate be laid out?  Should I do the half bare method, or an even layer across?

long ways so 1 at each end. (short side) will provide tons of flow. or you could also do side by side on the back. either way 2 XL dual sponge filters will provide plenty of flow for a 10G

Awesome, thanks Bonstoneric!

One more question:  Given what has been chosen for filtration, how should the substrate be laid out?  Should I do the half bare method, or an even layer across?

really up to you. if you are going for simplicity then even layer across the bottom works fine. the split tank design is usually for when using UGFs.

That was actually what I was looking at just now...lol.

Would I need to worry about redundancy in this case? How's the reliability on those pumps?

You would need to get a gang valve with the desired number of outlets :)

I have a question, is there a way to use a central air pump without using pvc? I dont think it would go over well with the wife or landlord

Here is an example:

http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28250&products_id=1345

manifold_8outlets.jpg

I have a question, is there a way to use a central air pump without using pvc? I dont think it would go over well with the wife or landlord

Another question:

I have a 20g long and a 26g.  Is it better to just put my own glass dividers in w/ silicon or to go with individual tanks?

If I put dividers in, do I have to drain each section equally in order to do a water change without the dividers collapsing?

Nice example woopderson. :)

This place is a cheaper if going larger in manifolds.  For example, a 20 pvc manifold is $30 as opposed to $45.

Of course you can do metal hydroponic manifolds, too.

post-2-0-58951600-1415717605_thumb.jpg

Oooooooo those are nice!  Thank you for that :D

Nice example woopderson. :)

This place is a cheaper if going larger in manifolds.  For example, a 20 pvc manifold is $30 as opposed to $45.

Of course you can do metal hydroponic manifolds, too.

attachicon.gifmetal manifolds.jpg