How cold is too cold

Ok guys im trying to avoid putting my heaters back in my tanks.. How cold is too cold for tb? So far the tank hangs out around 69-70...

Great question. I am in the same boat, hopefully we can have someone chime in.

I just started getting into TB, but my tanks are hanging out around 65-67 degrees, as they are kept in my basement. I do have heaters, but I prefer not to use them. I would also like to know the answer from experienced keepers. Mine all still appear active and are always grazing around the tank. I wasn't going to put in heaters until they dropped around 64.

yikes.   Good question.   I keep my tank around 74 right now for the mischlings but have a blue bolt coming tomorrow.. maybe I should gradually drop the temp.   Its so cold here  it feels counter intuitive hehe.  

I just started getting into TB, but my tanks are hanging out around 65-67 degrees, as they are kept in my basement. I do have heaters, but I prefer not to use them. I would also like to know the answer from experienced keepers. Mine all still appear active and are always grazing around the tank. I wasn't going to put in heaters until they dropped around 64.

same here. i've seen my racks get into the low 60s without issues. i have a heater that i dont turn on until temps are regularly that low and even then its set to 64.. 

I believe bee shrimp can survive at lower temp <68

but will stop breeding.

I will keep all my shrimp >72 all year around.

Our TB tanks dropped to low 60's at night and they are still doing fine. It is until it starts dropping below 60 than you will have a problem so if you want some assurance just put your heater in and dial it at around 63-64 so the water temperature does not go below that.

• 2 weeks later...

My oebt tank has dropped to 55 before.. And sits consistently between 64 and 67. My tb tank gets as low as 66.. But normally about 69-72. Low temps = longer everything in the shrimp life cycle. Longer gestation, longer wait until maturity, longer life.