Why Neocardina grow so fast?

• 4 months later...

I'll keep studying them about this subject and I notice something else. They eat at least twice as fast the Catappa leafs I put into their tank. Comparing to a Cardina group of same size. In some tanks they have to get started with them and in the neo tank, it's already stripped bare to the veins. Is it possible they have a higher metabolism or is this a weird hypothesis?

what i noticed is

1. the neo's are way more active then caridina shrimps. they constantly are hunting for micro organisms. this will lead to faster growth for neo's

2. baby neo shrimps does not stay at 1 specific location (they swim all over the tank) my baby taiwan bees are always at the same location until they are few weeks old then they start to explore...... that is why baby taiwan bees have lower survival rate then my neo's, they don't explore to find food........ 

• 1 month later...

Excellent topic. I always wondered the "Why" behind this, as I have switched from all Neocaridina to Caridina species I definitely have noticed this. I have noticed this even more so when breeding Taiwan Bees to Tigers and back. The Tibee and Taitibee offspring grow so much faster in comparison to the Taiwan Bee shrimplets. My guess is primarily genes, but that is a great point that Nuri made regarding roaming shrimplets.

Excellent topic. I always wondered the "Why" behind this, as I have switched from all Neocaridina to Caridina species I definitely have noticed this. I have noticed this even more so when breeding Taiwan Bees to Tigers and back. The Tibee and Taitibee offspring grow so much faster in comparison to the Taiwan Bee shrimplets. My guess is primarily genes, but that is a great point that Nuri made regarding roaming shrimplets.

Notice the same thing. My two taitbee's from mayphly released babies within the same week my BKK did. The father or fathers of all three shrimp was a BKK and possibly a BTOE because I have a baby that is dark blue with one white stripe in the middle and two white dots on the tail and has orange eyes, but back to my point, the taitbee babies are much larger than the BKK babies and ages are within days of each other.

According to hybrids, the grow faster an bigger among all animals if i'm correct. Like the crossbreed of a lion and a tiger:

lig3.jpg

But this is applied to hybrids, but does not explain the difference between neo and cardina.

But the observations already posted above seem te be very obvious explanations. 

I would guess that neos are just genetically hardwired for faster growth. Different genes for different means!  Hybrid vigor could account for faster growth in Tibee shrimplets, but it is not universal in all hybrid crosses.  In regards to ligers, their large size is the result of a run away growth gene that only manifests in male lion x female tiger cosses.  Tigons (male tiger x female lion) do not grow larger than either parent species.  Tigons also suffer from a host of medical problems that would be hard to describe as "vigor."      

.... but it is not universal in all hybrid crosses.  In regards to ligers, their large size is the result of a run away growth gene that only manifests in male lion x female tiger cosses.  Tigons (male tiger x female lion) do not grow larger than either parent species.  ...

Thanks a lot. Never looked deep into this and thought this was a thing for almost all hybrids. Learned something today, tnx :)

Back to the topic. I also notice people keep neocardina on much higher temperatures than other shrimp. This should also speedup metabolisme and growth right?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but temp doesn't explain it. Babaulti are high temp too, but slow growing.

You are confusing yourself. The "why" is genetics. Neos simply have the genes to grow faster.

Everything else is "How?". Many answers: more voracious eaters, faster metabolism, etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Good point, thanks. The 'why' and 'how' as a good distinction. 

I found an even more 'agressive' growing shrimp, the so called 'mini-japonica'. I've seen tanks where they were crawling 5 layers thick, bad water quality and still so much females with eggs and keep on breeding. Also a good example of the difference in growing and breeding compared to Cardina.

Just as it is with all life, genetics is number one, with environment also playing a part. Adapt, and offspring will survive. A constant process in life as our environment changes. We can manipulate the environment of animals for our benefit over time.  Think water parameters.

Just a thought: Many animal grow to full size rapidly to avoid predation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk