Shrimp.....Not Just A Hobby Anymore!!!

mayphly

I just saw this on FB and thought I'd share it here.

What is the name of the black shrimp the gentleman is referring to that was caught in the river? It sounds like a chocolate neo.

Love that Galaxy Fishbone Pinto shrimp.  Wish I was still traveling to Taiwan and Germany for business so I can see some of these cool shrimp in person.

I'm throwing my wilds neo culls into my local pound. Hopefully they can survive there.

It's never a good idea to introduce a non-native species into an ecosystem it's not from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm throwing my wilds neo culls into my local pound. Hopefully they can survive there.

Please don't do that. That's a big reason why governments around the world want to ban the importing/exporting of aquarium fish/invertebrates. Feed them to bigger aquarium fish or humanly euthanize your shrimp by freezing them. With a lack of a brain and a simple nervous system they wont feel any pain, the shrimp will slow down and basically go to sleep and die.

It looks very poorly on the hobby when people do that and give us a bad name.

Please don't do that. That's a big reason why governments around the world want to ban the importing/exporting of aquarium fish/invertebrates. Feed them to bigger aquarium fish or humanly euthanize your shrimp by freezing them. With a lack of a brain and a simple nervous system they wont feel any pain, the shrimp will slow down and basically go to sleep and die.

It looks very poorly on the hobby when people do that and give us a bad name.

Don't worry I wouldn't tell the governments about this, I'll keep it in secret ;)

The blasé attitude of this post really angers me. Irresponsible pet ownership hurts the whole community.

I  agree with you Jomes. I think he's trying to be and funny lighten things up but on a serious note look at the disaster happening in FL. FL is a prime example of the consequences resulting in releasing non-invasive species. Pet owners are to blame to a large extent but customs released hundreds of different species over the decades at the Miami airport.

Even on the video the guy mentions about the damages of releasing non-native shrimps into the enviroment and the governments concerns in Taiwan.

I  agree with you Jomes. I think he's trying to be and funny lighten things up but on a serious note look at the disaster happening in FL. FL is a prime example of the consequences resulting in releasing non-invasive species. Pet owners are to blame to a large extent but customs released hundreds of different species over the decades at the Miami airport.

Even on the video the guy mentions about the damages of releasing non-native shrimps into the enviroment and the governments concerns in Taiwan.

Florida is tricky as far as Cuban tree frogs, knight anoles , house geckos ,reef geckos and few others could have easily come here naturally on floating rafts of tree's etc .

Cuba, Haiti is what I call a ''storm away'' which means after summer storms you see debris from those islands washed up in Key west .

Now pythons and monitors are a different story .

Florida is tricky as far as Cuban tree frogs, knight anoles , house geckos ,reef geckos and few others could have easily come here naturally on floating rafts of tree's etc .

Cuba, Haiti is what I call a ''storm away'' which means after summer storms you see debris from those islands washed up in Key west .

Now pythons and monitors are a different story .

I understand about some species being introduced by natural events, its been happening for millions of years. How about all the iguanas that run amok. :startle:  Caimans being introduced by customs after they released them into the lake at the airport in late 70's early 80's?, 100 banded Eurasian doves released by customs and have made there way to Colorado in less than 35 years and displacing the mourning dove and now they estimate a population of close to a half million in the US from 100 birds. The canals in south FL are like an aquarium shop.

It wasn't the mysis. It was man. ;)

Fishery biologists have been screwing up lakes and rivers for 150+ years thinking they were improving an ecosystem. To make it worse there are what we fisherman call bucket biologists who take it upon themselves to introduce different species of game fish from one body of water to another because they want to fish for that particular fish and destroy the entire balance of that lake ,river or stream.

I remember when i was in Guam and learned about the brown tree snake. The reason why there are no birds in Guam.

My dad was stationed in Guam (Navy), lived there for two years. Every flight from Guam to Hawaii is inspected with brown snake sniffing dogs.

The blasé attitude of this post really angers me. Irresponsible pet ownership hurts the whole community.

Relax mate, that was a joke. Do you think I'm an idiot? I'm dumping them in the garden tank in my back garden to see if they freeze to death or survive, outside temp is around +5 and half of them doing fine in 100% rain water, if survive they might have a chance to go back in the community tank to increase the gene pool of survival if needs to, but they going to suck the colour gene of my remaining neos, and neos already hard like a brick. I wouldn't do this for cards I respect them in their own tanks only, or do you call it some kind of shrimp racism? :-)They wilds they look ugly and even if they escape to my local pound somehow they only make it better for few days by eating rubbish before they will be eaten by fish at the end, they wilds the wildness is where they came from at the first place.