Trouble Completing Cycling

fernselvis

6 minutes ago, fernselvis said:

What would u consider initial stocking nos as. I plan to hold as much I can breed in an 64 ltr tank.

Would be dependent upon what type of shrimp and your budget, but I'm now of the opinion that numbers over 20 are the way to go.  In theory, you could expect some 5-10 females in a lot of that size, and you need fems to make it to breeding age and through maternity.

Losses can be expected, but if you have enough shrimp that your colony gains enough "momentum" to get to the next generation of babies (fully acclimated to your parameters) then things can really take off.

Would be dependent upon what type of shrimp and your budget, but I'm now of the opinion that numbers over 20 are the way to go.  In theory, you could expect some 5-10 females in a lot of that size, and you need fems to make it to breeding age and through maternity.

Losses can be expected, but if you have enough shrimp that your colony gains enough "momentum" to get to the next generation of babies (fully acclimated to your parameters) then things can really take off.

Noted thank you.

I m not sure yet if I have the courage to invest in black and red pandas after my previous losses, but I would go with 1 tank of crs and cbs, prl either v band or Mosura line, maybe be black panda or blue bolts.

Let's see all are in stock new shipment just received.

How about some mischlings?  You have multiple tanks, so as they give birth to Taiwan Bees you could separate them into other tanks.  Mischlings are hardy like CBS/CRS, yet you always get the "chance" at TBs, which would then be tank-raised in your own parameters and have a better chance at survival.

13 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

Low gh thins the shells and supplements can be given for that if desired, but the low ph etches and eventually will pit them.

I like some snails in my tanks, but buffering soil does not make shells pretty. heh

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Shrimple minded said:

How about some mischlings?  You have multiple tanks, so as they give birth to Taiwan Bees you could separate them into other tanks.  Mischlings are hardy like CBS/CRS, yet you always get the "chance" at TBs, which would then be tank-raised in your own parameters and have a better chance at survival.

Hi

Thats a good idea, but mischlings aren't available here. 

The latest shipment are the following only caridina:

PRL Mosura, CRSCBS, Golden Bee, Black Panda, Red Panda, Blue Panda, Extreme BBK, Blue Bolt, White Body King Kong, Fancy Tiger, King kong genes shrimp and pinto genes shrimp.

I have my own inbreed :) stock of crs and abs which I'm sure are more hardy than most shrimps I will get in the market so I could use them with something to produce mischlings.

I am also scared to add new shrimp to an existing tank coz it opens room for disease or problems to the existing  colony.

What would you suggest?

Thank you.

IMG_8898.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

IMG_8902.JPG

Perhaps you could use some of your existing CRS/CBS culls just to "check" that the new tanks are doing OK........if they do fine there really isn't any reason that the other Caridina wouldn't also do well.  Once you have established that you are comfortable with the tank, you can remove your tester shrimp.

You have a lot of good looking "super red" or low-grade CRS that are extremely popular (at least in the US) right now.......maybe you can work out a trade with your supplier :)

37 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

Perhaps you could use some of your existing CRS/CBS culls just to "check" that the new tanks are doing OK........if they do fine there really isn't any reason that the other Caridina wouldn't also do well.  Once you have established that you are comfortable with the tank, you can remove your tester shrimp.

You have a lot of good looking "super red" or low-grade CRS that are extremely popular (at least in the US) right now.......maybe you can work out a trade with your supplier :)

Thank you. But the hobby is new here and very few who are seriously into shrimps. I have sold may be 100 shrimps till now ?

Which would be the best way to go about mischling style. Do it my self. Would these super red work with black pandas. The red pandas cost twice the price of the black ones or one of those with King Kong genes is that the same as mischlings. 

I didn't realize you already had Crystal shrimp when I made the mischling suggestion.

Knowing that you have already successfully kept Caridina shrimp suggests that you will have luck with Taiwan Bees as well.

I wouldn't go about making mischlings, just skip that altogether.  I have faith that you could handle any of the available shrimp.

Plus, you have The Shrimp Spot now to walk with you on this journey!

***EDIT***  Deleted

Thank you for all the help and support.

I did loose all my pandas black and red couple of months ago and took a side seat with shrimp and moved to breeding Betta.

Need help some bacterial infection

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/5260-Need-help-some-bacterial-infection

I would humbly say that so far things in the other tank and home have been a good run by luck. Considering I never spent in any special food, ro water or any other things with the office tank ( super reds) one major fact beings it's a 200 ltr tank makes it more stable I think. So I'm still not confident about pandas or expensive shrimp yet so would set up 1 tank with shrimp from the office to see how it goes and may be add some pandas there.

Let's see.

P.S Looking for ward to tomorrow.

Elvis

Sent from Tapatalk

I didn't make the connection between that post and this one.

I would share the opinion of others that your previous parameters were the more likely culprit rather than an infection.

In this thread, we have only discussed your cycling parameters........do you have your hardness (GH and KH) within ranges for Caridina?  

I shared that post to highlight the shrimp I lost and lack of courage towards more sensitive caridina. [emoji4]. No my Gh is still 1.

Will do a complete WC to ro water and add salty shrimp Gh /Kh next week.

Elvis

Sent from Tapatalk

I used to be in Dubai at least 6 times per year. You brought back lots of memories... Good luck with your tanks!

Hey sorry i didn't see this. Still getting used to Tapatalk. Dubai nice [emoji16]

Checked my parameters today no3 holding at 5 ppm. Is it safe to do a complete change with ro water and remineralizer to bring it to the parameters I want to should I wait more ?

Elvis

Sent from Tapatalk

Ps forgot to add that the workshop was nice Chris is a good guy with lot of knowledge, ran out of time to cover genetics and cross breeding [emoji53], but I got this 31977623abca12eaa560e9ca5b6995fb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update still waiting for dr. Tims ammonium chloride. Quick things I was planing remove the hang on back filter and just running the tanks with under gravel and double sponge filters as they are going to hang on backs. Any suggestions ?

Hi Elvis.  I like the cross stitch plastic as a pre-filter to keep plants back.  Looks better then the pink styrofoam I have used.  I'm going to borrow that idea if you don't mind.  That plastic seems to have tons of applications in the hobby.

6 hours ago, oem said:

Hi Elvis.  I like the cross stitch plastic as a pre-filter to keep plants back.  Looks better then the pink styrofoam I have used.  I'm going to borrow that idea if you don't mind.  That plastic seems to have tons of applications in the hobby.

Goes by "plastic canvas" if you are searching for it......

Yeah no worries happy someone can use the idea.

I had original bought the plastic for an diy algae scrub by diy king then used it to Breed fish and now got inspiration from Hans filter which shrimpleminded told me to check.

Quick Update:

Thank you for all the help guys.

Tanks seems to be doing good add some crs now super reds and cbs (they are hiding in the back of the tank).

b885ca48ac54c7c7702a02eb85bfd637.jpg0dc6870b82a029155a96856d86cbdc0f.jpg

6af18dbed49d63deab26a34b8a5aa578.jpg

and the ram horn snails eggs seem to be hatching too

bbdec9ea097dace4908e3498976b4554.jpg

• 3 weeks later...