Quiet Central Air Pump/System?

Woah, that quiet huh? Tetra Whispers have been quiet enough for me. DIdn't think there would be any larger air pump as quiet or quieter than it. Good to know!

Just for reference though, is there a particular size/model you guys are using? Just in case the larger ones do happen to be louder. If I would be getting any though, it would most likely be the smallest "large" air pump.

30 minutes ago, ShrimpP said:

Woah, that quiet huh? Tetra Whispers have been quiet enough for me. DIdn't think there would be any larger air pump as quiet or quieter than it. Good to know!

Just for reference though, is there a particular size/model you guys are using? Just in case the larger ones do happen to be louder. If I would be getting any though, it would most likely be the smallest "large" air pump.

Oh yeah, that quiet! I was so happy with the difference because the room I have my tanks in was driving me crazy from the low audible sound the tetra pumps were making.

The one powering my 10 tanks is the alita 6LPM and I have a 40LPM that I'm not using right now which is also more bearable compared to most pumps.   

1 hour ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

I have an Alita 60, and it ran 60+ tanks just fine at it's peak.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/alita-linear-air-pumps.html

I have one that is 17 years old and still running.  Not sure if Ken has resolved his problems but there was some issues of him not sending out ordered items and not replying to phone calls or emails this past fall and winter.

2 minutes ago, Dluxeshrimps said:

for me its not the air pump, its more of the bubbles that are made coming for all the tanks at once can be loud at night

If sponge filters are making loud bubble noises, there are 2 reasons.

It's either poorly made/defective or you need to adjust air control value.

I can't hear the bubbles from my sponge filters unless I'm next to the tank.

3 minutes ago, OMG Aquatics said:

If sponge filters are making loud bubble noises, there are 2 reasons.

It's either poorly made/defective or you need to adjust air control value.

I can't hear the bubbles from my sponge filters unless I'm next to the tank.

I only and have been using these my whole life. lol

sponge.jpg

I guess that elbow at the top of the dual sponge filter "softens the blow" quite a lot. I've noticed that as well. Add one of those elbows from an old Under Gravel Filter or whatever size you need from a hardware store. Or alternatively you could use fine bubble airstones inside the sponge filters so the smaller bubbles don't make as much noise.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Regarding Kensfish, I've ordered from him several times within a years time (2015-16) and he's never replied to a single email (messaged him several times), but he has always shipped my orders on time. His "notify me when back in stock" has maybe only worked one time? I found multiple items restocked and never was notified. Customer support/service would be non-existent in my experience, but the prices are great (along with free shipping and no sales tax), so I'm happy enough to continue shopping there (wallet isn't too happy though :( ).

1 hour ago, bostoneric said:

yeah those weighted base sponge filters tend to have larger bubbles, also dont have the elbow at the top like dual sponge filters that make flow.

You can add  air stones inside the sponge filter and it increases the water flow with less air and makes them quiet. If you take them apart ,most have a nipple on the bottom opposite of where you attach the air hose and the air diffuser's will slide over the nipple. http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE12521-Disposable/dp/B003XKALA8/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EAG8P6979H3P9ME3G6D

Hydro sponges are my favorite, they are pricey but I consider them the Cadillac of this type of sponge filter

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-IV-Sponge-Pro-Filter/dp/B0002602SC/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1460589748&sr=1-5&keywords=sponge+filter+for+aquarium

1 hour ago, Vpier said:

You can add  air stones inside the sponge filter and it increases the water flow with less air and makes them quiet. If you take them apart ,most have a nipple on the bottom opposite of where you attach the air hose and the air diffuser's will slide over the nipple. http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE12521-Disposable/dp/B003XKALA8/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EAG8P6979H3P9ME3G6D

Hydro sponges are my favorite, they are pricey but I consider them the Cadillac of this type of sponge filter

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-IV-Sponge-Pro-Filter/dp/B0002602SC/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1460589748&sr=1-5&keywords=sponge+filter+for+aquarium

Cool. I use Hydro sponge filters as well, but only have the PRO and MAX (prefilter) sponges. Those ones are the reticulated/coarse foam. I've heard of people using MAX 3 (MAX 2 is has fine pores) and shrimplets could crawl/get sucked through it into their filters.

Do you just use the finer pore (grey foam) sponges by them? I still would imagine the PRO/reticulated foam standing sponge filters should be fine. Just the reticulated prefilters would be a danger.

I was debating on getting more cheap eBay sponge filters or if the Hydro's really are better/worth the price. What's makes them worth the price in your opinion? They just clog less?

1 hour ago, ShrimpP said:

Cool. I use Hydro sponge filters as well, but only have the PRO and MAX (prefilter) sponges. Those ones are the reticulated/coarse foam. I've heard of people using MAX 3 (MAX 2 is has fine pores) and shrimplets could crawl/get sucked through it into their filters.

Do you just use the finer pore (grey foam) sponges by them? I still would imagine the PRO/reticulated foam standing sponge filters should be fine. Just the reticulated prefilters would be a danger.

I was debating on getting more cheap eBay sponge filters or if the Hydro's really are better/worth the price. What's makes them worth the price in your opinion? They just clog less?

I use the grey foam pro ones. I cant compare them to other brands because I have never used anything else. Used them when I was in the African Cichlid business and the sponges would hold up for years and I had around 1800 tanks in a small warehouse. I trusted them with very very rare expensive wild caught cichlids.

14 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Not sure about those.

I only use dual sponge filters and they are quiet!

Which ones? Can you send some links?

Smaller bubbles definitely make less noise. I've read that having an elbow on the top of your air lift tube, and keeping that elbow at the same height at your water level, keeps the bubbles more quiet. 

I'm in the same boat as ShrimpP. I have 6 tanks now, but I want to set up a few more be the end of the year. I've only heard good things about Alita pumps. I'm limiting myself to shallow tanks.Does anyone think that the Alita AL-15A (26 watts and has a air output of 20 lpm @ 1.4 psi) can handle 15 sponge filters and 5 or so Marina breeder boxes?

Can anyone compare the sound level of the Alita to the Supreme Danner AP-8?

I believe Soothing uses AL-15. I"ve been downgrading since i'm cutting back on tanks. went from AL-60, to AL-40, and now thinking AL-15 is next.

if anybody is in the market for an AL-40 thats less than a year old please let me know. willing to work out a deal for an AL-15.

I have an Alita AL-15A, and while I've never tested the upper limits of its capability, I would imagine that it could handle the given workload.

I'm currently running about 10 lines from my pump (few are at 100%) and it seemingly has infinite resources in reserve.  Considering that your flow to the breeder boxes would be minimal, I'm pretty sure it could get the job done.

I would also fall into the camp of people that are in love with their Alita.  It's built like a tank and is a sweet upgrade for an shrimper........just think, in the future if you want to add something...........BOOM! done. :) 

the quietest pump i've ever used would be Jehmco's LPH26. I had it running a 240g , a 180g, 2 150g, 1 80g, 2 40breeder, and 1200g koi pond. i would never hear the pump at all. the pump is a bit more expensive then alita's but worth it if you're looking for the quietest. I currently have an ALita AL-6 and it'll be more than enough for your set up as i run about 15outlets right now and it doesn't seem to faze it at all.

1 hour ago, thekonexperiment said:

the quietest pump i've ever used would be Jehmco's LPH26. I had it running a 240g , a 180g, 2 150g, 1 80g, 2 40breeder, and 1200g koi pond. i would never hear the pump at all. the pump is a bit more expensive then alita's but worth it if you're looking for the quietest. I currently have an ALita AL-6 and it'll be more than enough for your set up as i run about 15outlets right now and it doesn't seem to faze it at all.

I am a big fan of Jehmco pumps. I have owned a few and never had problems. I also have the AL-6 and run a dozen sponges and have to bled air to avoid back pressure.