Creating New Shrimp Rack; lighting and filter suggestions please :)

Hey Shrimpspot members!

So I was thinking of setting up a three or four  10 gallon tanks in a rack so I could separate my PRLs and blue bolts based on their pattern/coloration to breed them more specifically. Is there a recommendation for a shrimp rack you guys have been using?

Also I was thinking of updating my filters. As of now I've been using Fluval C3 filters w/ sponge filter at the end, but I was hoping to update to canisters. A lot of people have been recommending eheim, but I was wondering what other options I have. Same story with lighting, although this is less of a problem. 

Lastly, I've been hearing about increase in use of sump set ups, and most people who have been using it seems to recommend it. I had mixed feelings about this because of the possibility of infection in all the tanks, but from what I've been reading most people never had problem with this. What are your guys' thoughts on this? If I have a sump set up, would I be able to use a single powerful filter/heater for all 3-4 tanks? Also was there a post on how I could set this up? 

Thank you so much in advance! 

Now is a good time to get tanks if you live near a Petco, since they are having their $1 per gallon sale right now. You may want to consider buying a larger tank, like the 40 gallon breeders, and dividing the tank into multiple sections, instead of buying multiple smaller tanks, maybe into 2,3 or 4 sections. You can put in mesh covered opening in the dividers to circulate water between the sections, like what Plamski did here. 

They also sell metal racks at Lowes that will fit the tanks perfectly. I think there is a member here that used the same rack system. Youtuber Solid Gold uses these for some of her goldfish.

Some used canister filters are for sale here. This may work if you want to try something similar to what Plamski did. 

I like the LED shop lights made by Lights of America, if you want to light a 4 foot row of tanks. They are available online at Sam's Club.

6 hours ago, seaj said:

Now is a good time to get tanks if you live near a Petco, since they are having their $1 per gallon sale right now. You may want to consider buying a larger tank, like the 40 gallon breeders, and dividing the tank into multiple sections, instead of buying multiple smaller tanks, maybe into 2,3 or 4 sections. You can put in mesh covered opening in the dividers to circulate water between the sections, like what Plamski did here. 

They also sell metal racks at Lowes that will fit the tanks perfectly. I think there is a member here that used the same rack system. Youtuber Solid Gold uses these for some of her goldfish.

Some used canister filters are for sale here. This may work if you want to try something similar to what Plamski did. 

I like the LED shop lights made by Lights of America, if you want to light a 4 foot row of tanks. They are available online at Sam's Club.

Thanks! I'm definitely look into maybe dividing up the tanks. Sounds like a cheaper option to what I've been thinking xD 

Woah this is a cool design! Where did you buy the cinderblocks from? [emoji33] 

A local supplier. Google it u should find someone. But use the thinner version if u can works the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, fernselvis said:

A local supplier. Google it u should find someone. But use the thinner version if u can works the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The local block companies that masons use is the place to buy.  You do not have to be a contractor and there are 8"x8"x16" blocks that are called "light weight" and are actually 1/3 the weight of a standard block. 

That was the thread I was looking for earlier.

I thought of the cinderblock rack too. There's an aquarium store nearby that has used racks like that for the last 20 years or so. 

I have a wire rack right now with lots of smaller tanks, but I want to upgrade to this 40 gallon breeder system with divided tanks. Water parameters would be a lot more stable, and so would water changes. I don't know where I'll be living in a year, so I'm gonna put any major upgrades on hold, though I want to put a 20 long somewhere in my room soon.