Lava stone substrate

Greenteam

Get a bag of normal lava rock... get a hammer and bam... there ya go lol j/k

I did this for some filler in my tank... it was much harder and took much longer then I thought it would lol.

Just found out yesterday that some "lava rock" sold by stores is actually expanded shale. The process is to wet it and cook it, and it pops like popcorn.

Never heard of that, I will need to do some digging to see what formation is being used.

I found some on ebay. I got enough to fill a 20l tank for around $25. shipped. This was for black lava rock

Edited by mayphly

I don't like lava rock as a substrate itself food and objects seem to get lost in it. Ie snow flake tends to slide to the bottom of the tank and defeat one of the good traits to it. Sitting and building bio film shrimp can snack on later. I use it to add to some the top of my substrates, and I use it in the bottom of all my tanks as a base to my substrates to build bacteria faster.

Lava rock is crisitile in structure. Resulting in a low to no leaching of compounds into the water. For all intents and purposes you could consider them to be inert. Unless you have enough flow in your tank to cause weathering. Now there are lave rocks that are exceptions to this, there are lava rocks that are calcareous in nature.

This is all dependent on the source and type of lava that was sourced to make the substrate. Here is a page that talks about the types of lave and there basic composition. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava

I try not to use black lava rock and stick to red. I have done the hard method of buying home depot lava rock and smashing it and that is a good workout trying to do that plus a hot mess with the dust. 

I want to use it over and UGF to act as media so going to try either ebay or site mention for small size and see how that goes.