Tibee Rack

High5's

I have a closet in my house that has an a/c vent in it, I checked the temp in there over the last few days and it stay's around 70f degree's. I did some measuring and I can fit a rack 48inch's long, 24inch deep, 63 inch's high. My goal is 9 15 gallon tanks, I will start with 6 and add the other 3 down the road or as needed. I want to do half substrate with ugf, half bare bottom with sponge filter. I'd like to do the whole rack on air driven filtration if possible to keep cost down,I will be using ADA aqua soil Amazonia for substrate. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Want to get this project up and running asap.

As we discussed a bare bottom along with an ugf would be great with the sponge filter as well. Speaking of which using the whisper (biggest ones) will give you about 4 outlets per pump. Of which can be split as well so you would only need maybe 3-4 air pumps.

I was going to use 1 linear air pump to run everything. My only issue with the system is will it be enough filtration it's pretty much all bio filtration. I plan on keep small numbers in the tanks no more than 50 shrimp including the young.

A sponge filter is mechanical as well as bio. You can always put moss, Buce, anubias, some stems in the tank for added filtration as well. But my tank with apistos is running sponge filter only and ammonia is at zero. Sponge filters are amazing.

I'm thinking plate style ugf 12x12 with one inch of pea sized lava rock followed by 3 inches of substrate. This would give me 12 inches of substrate and 12 inches of bare bottom. This rack will fit in my closet, I'd have to stack 3 tank's side buy side with sides of the tank facing forward I'd end up with 4 inches on each side that I would reinforce with 2x4 for extra support. I'd use the 3 bottom shelves for tank's, the 4th for water storage with 2 5 gallon buckets with drip line's for doing water changes . 5th shelf extra storage I would have around 12 inches of with 5th self installed maybe more if I dropped down a few slots.

I plan to share the project with the community after all your my support system. I haven't decided on lighting I'd like to achieve medium lighting conditions and lower to the front. I'm a safety freak due to many strange accidents like breaking tube lights over open top tanks once or twice. So shop fixtures with covers because I'm not picking glass out of tanks full of tibee's. I'm open to suggestion's on lighting I'd like to know my option's, then decide what would work best.

If you own the house build the rack out of wood. Would be nicer and you can do it how you wish

The diy rack is an good option, cost effective and exact fit. The pre made will suit my need's, I can break it down faster if I want to reallocate it but.. it dose cost a bit more, also I can sell it if it no longer suit's my need's. I do have a spare bedroom in my house that I plan on building out in the future so this rack will be moved, repurposed or sold.

Nice sounds fun, on the DIY lighting look at the fixture I put a link to on the thread titled strip lighting. When I move I am going to use them to do custom lighting

I think it will take some work and time but it will be well worth it. First I'm going to prep the area take out the carpet and then paint the area with semi gloss paint with mold inhibitor added. Then get the rack in there with tank's and get them cycling for 2 months, this give me time to dial everything in and save for shrimp.

Regarding the lighting I would suggest Aquaticlife Led lights rated for planted tanks, they have red, blue and white together in one fixture. I bought the 36'' ones for about $40 free shipping, they are low profile and will fit nicely under the shelves.

It would be easier to do water changes, test and control parameters if you used a sump to filter all the tanks, the down side is if something goes wrong all the tanks will be affected.

Your doing like this?

Just like that with out a sump, I agree with a sump would make things a lot easier and faster. I'm going to keep this project low tech, I'll save the sump/refugium system rack for when I build out my spare bead room.

I wonder out today and grabbed 15 gallon because that's all they had, I asked if they would get more and when he said he didn't know. So I have to run down more tank's on top of that ADA USA is out of 9l bag's of Amazonia. I guess I will use this as a prototype until I can get a few more tanks, I still haven't decided on a rack or lighting, just tank size and filtration and substrate.   

post-193-0-85333600-1405728064_thumb.png

post-193-0-28716500-1405728072_thumb.png

I have a closet in my house that has an a/c vent in it, I checked the temp in there over the last few days and it stay's around 70f degree's. I did some measuring and I can fit a rack 48inch's long, 24inch deep, 63 inch's high. My goal is 9 15 gallon tanks, I will start with 6 and add the other 3 down the road or as needed. I want to do half substrate with ugf, half bare bottom with sponge filter. I'd like to do the whole rack on air driven filtration if possible to keep cost down,I will be using ADA aqua soil Amazonia for substrate. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Want to get this project up and running asap.

15g tanks can house more than 50. I've have uncountable colonies in a few smaller tanks. They'll do fine.

How come you didn't get the puzzle plates. You can make it custom instead of a solid plate? That's what I'm going to do.

I have extra pieces of acrylic from my 4g tank build breeding betas last year I'm going to cut and fit in to place and silicone into a new ten gallon after I get the undergravel.

Lighting for you the cheapest and most effective ah would probably be getting flexible led strip lighting wiring them yourself and just using like 6-10 strips per rack shelf.

I looked for the puzzle plates couldn't even find them on eBay, well a USA seller. Little cheaper this way I can use 1 set on 2 tanks. It's going to take me a few month's to get everything together.

I found a place that sells the Rena modular ugf systems im going to go with that, your right being able to fit it how I want is a good idea + 1 Subtle. Got 9l of Amazonia, 6lbs of pea sized black lava on it's way. For dividers im looking at this but.. I don't know if it's aquarium safe. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=42499&gclid=CMHS4qy81L8CFQwV7AodomQAYQ

I've decided to build a rack out of 2x4's +1 Sbarbee54. All that's left is lighting and divider material, I will most likely do some kind of diy led lighting.

For dividers I would just go to Michaels and get craft mesh and probably silicone it in place or order something from tap plastics and drill the holes myself.

I'm going to be Doug this in 6 months so what your doing is helping me figure out how I want to do it as well. I'm thinking of going for a taller tank like a 12-15 to diffuse the light more and have less Spiro problems. I can't seem to find the right balance to get rid of it.

The dividers will be solid 11 1/2 inches long 4 inches wide I found this expanded pvc board I just don't know if it shrimp safe. so I may end up using acrylic, once I get all my things I need togher I'll start a journal. Still need to run down some 15 gallon tank's due to cost I am going to start with 2 15s build a rack that holds 4 15s and just do 4 tanks, I want to go all in but that what the spare bedroom is for down the road.