Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

• 1 month later...

Well, we're 3/4 through the year and I changed two things on my shrimp tanks to see if I could tweak sweet spots.

1- Lower TDS to 150ish

2- Use SS gh/kh

As a result my shrimp have pretty much halted breeding.  I blame much on the freak weather we had last/this year, but I'm sure one of the two changes also affected them.  So, I'm slowly building my TDS again up to 300ish.  I'll report results again when I've had enough time to make a determination.

That has been my past experience.  When breeding stops for unknown reasons, increase or decrease TDS to find a sweet spot and breeding will start again.  For example, I had an orange sakura colony once that would only breed well with a TDS of 400ish.

I increased all my tanks to ~300 today, so we'll see if we get breeding.

That has been my past experience. When breeding stops for unknown reasons, increase or decrease TDS to find a sweet spot and breeding will start again. For example, I had an orange sakura colony once that would only breed well with a TDS of 400ish.

I increased all my tanks to ~300 today, so we'll see if we get breeding.

Mine are just finally starting to breed more once again. I also think that the westher played alot into breeding this year. My breeding has always picked up more in the fall and winter.

Have just discovered this  thread and have enjoyed it immensely. It's interesting and informative to read someone else's journey and see how you've managed the pitfalls.

Is autumn a good time for breeding? If so I have my fingers crossed one of the 5 males I have left can get it on with the last female. Can't wait to see tiny snowballs underneath her.

I'll throw a loop into this... my rack system which i'm sure most of you have seen consists of WR/RR - BKK/BB - PRL - CRS - Culls.

and as far as breeding goes my PRL FAR FAR outbreed any of the other shrimp. I dont know why, maybe its all the culling over the years of PRL that has produced PRL that reproduce consistently and often, or just my parameters are what they desire as perfect for them. but its amazing to see. even when had hundreds of WR/BBK in their tanks the small number of PRL was still outbreeding them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So I decided to see how well the auction thang works on this site.  I put up about a dozen Malawa in he Market section and started it at the rock bottom bid of $1 with no reserve.  Always good to have win-win situations.

---

A bit aggravated right now.  My gups seem to have thrown about 95% females.  UGH! Some people say high temps can change ratios during pregnancy in live bearers, others with gups it is a myth.  All I know is that these were thrown during the times my fish room was roughly 80-84F and I have mostly fems.

I'm looking at the possibility of blue posos and Rubra. 

Would love to play with Bloody Shrimp too, but that has to wait until someone can get their hands on a batch.  At least one member has promised in a thread to see if they can locate them though, so I have hope.  Supposedly they need 40F to breed, however I'm thinking if they acclimated themselves to the great lakes here in the US, it also may be possible to acclimate them to breeding in room temp.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm looking at several shrimp for future projects.

Blue Poso definitely looks interesting.  I have great interest in selective breeding them.

Pintos are beautiful of course, as well as TB.

Brackish Ula are cool.

I find myself fascinated with sw shrimp recently.  My main focus is breeding, so they have to be able to be bred.  Sexy Shrimp and Peppermints  have been successfully bred in captivity, with easy to feed larvae- so that's a good place to start.  As in anything, I have to give myself a feeling of success, otherwise I become easily frustrated.

I'm absolutely convinced I can make  saltwater set up for as cheap as freshwater.  I've had people tell me it can't be done simply, but of course I'll have to test the boundaries and find out myself through trial and error.

I looked into keeping Saltwater before I went with freshwater, and the set-ups are definitely more expensive (if you don't know much about them in the first place). I'm looking forward to seeing how much it would cost if you do decide to go that route. =)

Opae's are nice, but they take awhile to breed and breed infrequently. I've had mine since they were juveniles for almost a year now and still no breeding. I think it might be because they live for up to 20 years, so they might not reach full adulthood until much later. That, or because my water parameters were not ideal... which they weren't.

Sorry Soothing,

Been busy with life (promotions/roommate stealing my fishroom/buying a house) and haven't had time to work with my tank much, let alone go to Lake Michigan to look in the nooks and crannies of rocks for some Bloody Red Shrimp. Maybe next year :/

Hope all is going well with your many projects, those blue skrimp better be doing okay! :)