Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't trust my gh test, so got a new one.  Hope to test some tanks this weekend and reduce gh if needed.

Getting ready to set up a Blue leg poso tank.

Trying to figure out a workable recipe for a biofilm/probiotic.

Need to sell off all my fish to make space for more shrimp.  Weather's right, but now I can't do it because of the holiday coming up.  Got marble crays I have to move out, too.

This week I've been throwing tons of moss away because of being infested with hair algae...gotta get those timers...

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up. My, you've been busy! Your Nessies are beautiful! :)

I have a question for you. How often do you test? As I prepare to jump back into shrimp, I want to make sure I'm into a good routine. :)

Also, what varieties are the hardiest? I don't care about color anymore, I just want to keep them alive!!! That's why I was asking about cherries... figured they'd be fairly good since everyone says they're like cockroaches. I value your input, oh shrimp whisperer.

I'm keeping up with your thread to find out the answer to the great gH/TDS mystery.

LOL  Shrimp whisperer, eh?

Thanks on the Nessies.  Many many years of hard work in those. 

Honestly, I find most cherries do fine regardless of colors if the strain has been around awhile.  Even BD are now pretty hardy.  I've heard challenging things about strains of orange rili and yellows still.  Some do well, and some not so well.

New strains seem to be the most sensitive.  (I'm hoping to hear more about the purple strain available now.)  Over time, the hardiest survive and repopulate.  So any time a brand new strain is available, I know if I get them: #1 they are expensive because they are new and the breeder wants to make some money back that he has spent for developing the strain, and #2 they'll be overly sensitive- especially if imported.  It's always a gamble playing that game.  I love to improve the strains I get, so it's worth it to me, but most people like to buy when they are already hardy.

The results I have so far suggest to me that with my geographic location, TDS of 300 and gh of 6-9 is the way to go.  But I am always trying to find that sweet spot, so constantly experimenting. ;)

Yeah, well I didn't do so well with mine, even though my parameters seemed okay. My BVs did berry and hatch, but then they dwindled. Had one yellow that got a single egg. The rilis stuck around the longest, but they never bred. Sigh. I think I did something right because they all lived for quite awhile before they began to disappear. I attribute that to your guidance, oh mentor mine. :)

I have larger tanks now so hopefully that will help. Do you test daily? Weekly?

I also need something that will show up against pool sand. My only black sand is now in the white cloud tank. The bowfront is all pool sand and the Evolve is a mixture of black and pool sand. Recommendations? It will be awhile before I order (waiting for better weather and better cash flow), but I know who to go to. ;)

I want them to live! (On my knees in supplication) I don't care if I only have one variety and they fill all my tanks as long as they survive. :)

(I hope I was dramatic enough. Haven't acted in a coon's age, so I'm out of practice.)

Bravo!  Bravisimo!  :goodjob:

I tend to test right before and after a water change- or unless something appears weird- such as shrimplets not surviving as was the case recently.   Too high of a gh and the shrimplets will not molt well and seem to disappear one by one.  Hard to say how often I wc though.  I usually only do it when TDS gets above a certain point I feel I do not want.  So I'll occasionally check TDS randomly throughout the week.

Against tan pool sand would be a dark colored neo, if we're talking neos.  Blues, carbons, and one of my all time favorites- chocolates, would probably be best.  Even BD culls should give you a nice variety of colors in the tanks without having to worry too much about all turning wild. :)

And as always, I'll be glad to help figure out some water guidance for breeding for ya.  Just pm me, my friend. :)