Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

Well, the RR I bought from AlphaPro don't have the thick pigmentation or clear body genetics I had hoped for.  I gambled big money and lost this time.  Perhaps their other shrimp are better?

Anyway, two are berried now, so maybe I'll see what I can do with a new colony over time.  (Doesn't mean that I won't buy the occasional shrimp supplies from them though. heh)

• 2 months later...

Have quite a few RR babies now. Not all are clear tissued as I hoped, but I still like 'em. :)

Well, I've been thinking for quite some time now about the inevitable, I suppose.  Neos are one of my favorite shrimp.  I'm all for- when a new strain is achieved, a new name is deserved.

However, because of all the undeserved name switching by sellers and pet stores, and the number of people that are on fb forums and others that just don't care about neo genetics and instead call whatever shrimp they see something random based on how they look, I'm seriously downsizing my collection of neos.  I'll keep some of my projects going, but most will be going bye bye.

When I first got into neos things were far simpler.  Breeders put effort into breeding a strain true instead of throwing 10% true and releasing them to the public.  Neocaridina hobbyists took pride in maintaining neos of certain strains, and when any extra was sold others knew they were getting a true strain name.

Now, just look at the confusion of blues that are out there for instance.  Hell, I only know my Nessies are the real thing because I made the strain! LOL

So, frustrated and disappointed, I've made the decision to leave most of my neos behind.

On the other hand, make room for me please- I'm soon entering my card phase!  I have lots of learning to do, but hopefully you'll be welcoming to a noobie! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new recent project for me- Apple Green Tigers.  I'm very excited!

I obtained F1s (Aura x TT) from a friend who was having a challenge with his shrimp dying.  We worked out a win-win deal (I love those!) if I could keep them alive.

So far, so good for the project.  One of the better looking apple greens.

green apple tiger 002.jpg

And soon... F2's! :D:D:D

green apple tiger 001.jpg

Should be interesting to see what these look like!

Set to hatch the end of April...

Nice Soothing! Hope the colors intensify!

Do they prefer the more softer, acidic water that Aura's like (I've heard of them liking CRS params more than the common tiger params) or the neutral/slightly alkaline water that Tangerine Tigers like?

Personally I would prefer breeding shrimp to be more compatible with neutral or alkaline, harder water.

Maybe even set up another experiment to try and selective breed those to retain both red (orange...) and green pigmentation and call them Watermelon Tigers or Candy Apple Tigers or Emerald Dragon/Tiger or whatever :) 

I guess you could do another line working toward a red body tiger with whatever color stripes.

I have no idea how shrimp genetics work, but just saying it would be cool if it worked out :D

• 2 weeks later...

The eggs on the AGT seems to go from brown to clearish when the arrival date comes near.  I'm going to have to remember that.  Everything is new again since my main focus isn't neos anymore.

Speaking of which, there are several people on here I have obtained my very nice new cards from recently. James Aquatics, Newellcr , Shrimpscales , Sbarbeee , Jynn , and also thank you Joe's Aqua !  You folks are awesome! 

Thanks to Mayphly who started me with my first TBs about a year ago as well!

Thanks for being "family" here on the forum! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Back again. :)  The web series is now in post production and I can get back to my shrimping again.

Looks like a ton of info has been added since I was gone. Love this place!

It figures after I say bye bye to all my neos, that I feel the desire to get back into them again. LOL  Isn't that always the way? 

Cards are absolutely beautiful, but my heart still resides with neos.  No idea why.  It just does. *shrugs*

Unfortunately all tanks have been neglected, so I'll be working on getting those back into shape again. *sigh* Such is my life.

So anyway, hi again!

Oh my goodness, look at all I missed. Hardly any neos? Who will I go to if I ever get any again? Who am I kidding? Until you breed completely idiot-proof shrimp, I should stay far, far away from them. Waiting to watch the web series and shrimping only in my mind. :) 

LOL  You are so funny mosspearl. :-)

But yeah.  I got fed up with the phenotype/genotype misnamings, so I had to leave shrimping for awhile to clear my head.  I ended up getting some cards/tb, but it just couldn't take the place of my neo shrimp rack I had before.  When you have a certain connection with a type of shrimp...well, I guess that doesn't go away.

So, I'll be building my neo rack back up again.  Bit by bit.  :-)

It is. My latest passions are health related. I'm learning herbal medicine (western, ayurvedic, traditional Chinese), and saving up to learn craniosacral therapy. I've come to the conclusion that all passions end up being expensive and time consuming. LOL