Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

Here's some of my Nessies I took yesterday eve. :)

A berried Nessie

post-2-0-50492800-1444311194_thumb.jpg

A blue-green Nessie on moss

post-2-0-17189100-1444311195_thumb.jpg

A colony shot

post-2-0-79847300-1444311195_thumb.jpg

Another colony shot

post-2-0-45290400-1444311196_thumb.jpg

Click on the photos and they'll be larger.  In the colony shots you can really see the different shades of green. :)

P.S. My *other* coworker got sent to the ER this past week. So far, my workplace has racked up:

1. ulcerative colitis

2. unexplained fever

3. unexplained dizziness

4. heart issues

None of these are related in any way. I think we might simply have a stress problem.

• 2 weeks later...

P.S. My *other* coworker got sent to the ER this past week. So far, my workplace has racked up:

1. ulcerative colitis

2. unexplained fever

3. unexplained dizziness

4. heart issues

None of these are related in any way. I think we might simply have a stress problem.

Yikes, hope it's not some environmental contaminant or black mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Separated the painted Nessies from the other grades today.  I'm thinking this may actually be a good way to stabilize a shiny looking black strain, although the real color is extremely dark blue-green.

So far all painteds are fems.  Going to have to find a male in my other grade tank that has promise.  I think at least one is already berried, and still have some other grade babies running around in the painted tank I gave up catching until older.

In some other news, I received in what was supposed to be orange sakura shrimp this week from AB.  Looks nothing like the picture given, and the best I could call them are low grade pumpkins.  Look more yellowish than orange at this point, and barely any color.  Hopefully that will improve with time, however these are already past juvies, so I don't think so.  Ah well... selective breeding from ground zero.

Starting over with strains totally sucks.  I'm used to such a high standard for myself and shrimp, and to start at low to medium quality again is kinda depressing, but exciting at the same time knowing that strains can be bred to much better potential. :rolleyes:  Takes me back to when I first started with shrimp. heh

I was told when I bought my dims that blues bred true.  Now I'm finding out that was incorrect and they throw browns as well.  I have to lower my ph because now all my dims have turned brown or black, and I can't tell which are blues and which are browns. heh

I'm going to start an off-topic gymnastics journal with my kid if that's okay.  I'll put it in the lounge section so everyone can follow her through her gym season.  Not really shrimp related, so I hope it will be okay if I post it there. :wub:

Bummer...I've ordered neon yellows and painted orange rilis and experienced the same poor quality. Sucks cuz I don't really want them but can't really get rid of them either. At least you're willing to work with them. I have so few tanks...they get thrown a mix tank and forgotten. Wish folks would stop overhyping their shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should mention that.  I actually started up a tank of wild neos, I've affectionately called grasshoppers. heh  I find they have their own charm, look.

Conventional wisdom say they should automatically breed true, but they don't.  They throw the random body colors.

Anyway, I've gotten them to breed true now throwing only tiger-like stripes of tan and black.

Down to about 10 or so, and now have to grow my colony again to improve genetics. :)

• 1 month later...

Still searching for a strain of extremely clear tissued red rilis or splotched. Haven't found them yet.

Just randomly going through you thread. Are you talking about clear red rili without the red?

• 4 weeks later...

Did a test cross of a female Nessie with a male wild colored neo.  After shrimplets were released, P1 was taken out and the F1 allowed to breed randomly.

As expected, F1 was muddy.  But  F2---> F4 and beyond, Nessie coloration was pretty much  taking over!  I'm aborting the crossing project this week and culling them, but that puts forward a fascinating theory.

In theory, this means any rare wilds that may pop up down the line would not have to be removed, as the colony would not revert to wilds.  Fascinating!  To my knowledge, this is the only coloration that does this!

What do I have on my hands here?  This is one crazy mutation!

Neat test. I wonder why your nessie strain would be any different. Dominate genes?

Oh and what is your culling process? Do they go in a cull tank, use them as feeders or do you destroy them somehow?

Adrand, I think it has to be a combination of genes, and not just one.  If it was simple dominance, all F1 would have been green.  As it was, each generation got more green thrown. 

Culling?  I just feed my fish.  I like the idea of the circle of life instead of just life wasted. ;)