20L Taiwan Bee Tank

ctaylor3737

I am currently cycling a Taiwan Bee tank.

Equipment-

Aqua Clear 30

ADA Amazonia

2- Double sponge filters

Moss and possible Anubia

Salty Shrimp- RO water

Should, I use an under gravel filter?

Low light, no ferts no co2.

Plan on getting mishlings, blue bolts, bkk, WR and going from there.

I'll post some pictures soon.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Imagepost-124-139769748033_thumb.jpg

Still a bit,cloudy but looking good. I was surprised at how much ammonia is leeched. Only been up two days and my api test kit turned a green I have never seen before lol. They are looking good!

-Chris

Sweet tank!  Nice lineup of shrimp you got planned out too.  I like the color and look of blue bolts a lot, and I haven't read much on mischlings yet, but from what I understand you get some awesome different kinds of shrimp from the offspring. 

What else do you plan on adding in the tank?

As far as the undergravel filter, I think with plants it wouldn't be necessary, I have to find the article, but theres a breeder in one of Chris Lukhaup s magazine breeders n keepers, where the shrimper put some kind of powder under the gravel in lieu of the undergravel filter.  I will try to find that article and get back to you... its the route I wanna take when I get my next tank up and running. 

Looking good , gonna follow this one ^^

Sweet tank! Nice lineup of shrimp you got planned out too. I like the color and look of blue bolts a lot, and I haven't read much on mischlings yet, but from what I understand you get some awesome different kinds of shrimp from the offspring.

What else do you plan on adding in the tank?

As far as the undergravel filter, I think with plants it wouldn't be necessary, I have to find the article, but theres a breeder in one of Chris Lukhaup s magazine breeders n keepers, where the shrimper put some kind of powder under the gravel in lieu of the undergravel filter. I will try to find that article and get back to you... its the route I wanna take when I get my next tank up and running.

Looking good , gonna follow this one ^^

Did you ever want minuta? I know you asked about,them. I am going to add some PFR. I,think when it's cycled. My mischlings are in a small tank At the moment. Just got them, I put old sea mud and the b stuff.

-Chris

Still waiting on the cycle, the ammonia seems to be going lower everyday. Seems the cycled filters I put in there helps keep the tank levels low. Kinda nice with the soil in not having to worry about putting an ammonia source in there. It is coming along good, Il lhave to post some pictures tonight. I put some Minuta in last night to start getting it going.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Update, all the dust settled still planning out the scape, really just threw stuff in I had laying around to help with cycle. I had some minuta I had around so figured why not. Got some Anubias, crypts, hornwort in there also. I have that nice rock someone gave me that is from Africa, very interesting piece.

Got some fissidens growing on some driftwood in my HT tank so it grows in nice before this one is cycled. Still no change in ammonia leaching. Done a few water changes, but stays pretty solid.

Also on a side not I posted an ad on CL about buying tanks. There's not much on there up, here. A lady emailed me said I have a 55g I'm going to toss out by the road. So I was like I'll at least go look. Got there and was a complete setup, stand, fluval cannister, lights and no scratches. She was like I have to move and no one wanted to buy. I left 40$ in her mailbox didn't feel right taking it, was a steal bc she also gave me a 20l for free. I made out like a bandit and more tanks for my fish room basement remodel. More to come tomorrow on that.

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Update, all the dust settled still planning out the scape, really just threw stuff in I had laying around to help with cycle. I had some minuta I had around so figured why not. Got some Anubias, crypts, hornwort in there also. I have that nice rock someone gave me that is from Africa, very interesting piece.

Got some fissidens growing on some driftwood in my HT tank so it grows in nice before this one is cycled. Still no change in ammonia leaching. Done a few water changes, but stays pretty solid.

Also on a side not I posted an ad on CL about buying tanks. There's not much on there up, here. A lady emailed me said I have a 55g I'm going to toss out by the road. So I was like I'll at least go look was expecting a tanks in the ditch. Usually what I find if it's free but.......

Got there and was a complete setup, stand, fluval cannister, lights and no scratches. It hasn't been cleaned in forever but is solid, She was like I have to move and no one wanted to buy. I left 40$ in her mailbox didn't feel right taking it, was a steal bc she also gave me a 20l for free. I made out like a bandit and more tanks for my fish room basement remodel. More to come tomorrow on that.

-Chris

-Chris

That's quite the deal on those tanks.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

Yea I thought so to, she just wanted them gone. Probably would have just took them but the equipment looks good and she gave me a box of extras and brand new filters,

-Chris

Yea I am going to test fill/sterilize,in the garage for a week or 2. Its the older woodgrain heavy one. Its cleaning up nice

-Chris

This forum has a cool feature called acronym expansion. When someone uses an acronym that has been added the acronym is underlined in the post and when someone hovers over it a small popup will show the full text so people unfamiliar with the acronym will know what it means. For example I have added RCS, CRS, and CBS. Does anyone have any other ones I should add?

Love the 30 long. Never seen a 40 long. My plan is to make a rack of long tanks. Got 2 20s and a 30 already started.

-Chris

Love the 30 long. Never seen a 40 long. My plan is to make a rack of long tanks. Got 2 20s and a 30 already started.

-Chris

A 40 long is identical to a 55 just not near as tall. I used it for a shell dwellers tank.

A 40 long is identical to a 55 just not near as tall. I used it for a shell dwellers tank.

That would be perfect for a shrimp tank. Like the long tanks They are great for shrimp, may do a really big hard scape in the 55g.

-Chris

I've never seen a 40L at my Petsmart here.

They don't make them, all glass used to I believe. They are the older wood grain ones. Only one, sold a lot is the 20L. Even the 30L are hard to find these days. Most people like the tall ones now it seems. I don't like losing the height for plants but it's does great for shrimp lots of floor space.

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots to update! Got my first set of Taiwan Bee Pandas from Puddles! Not Cuddles: -) they arrived healthy and happy. Must say I know exactly why people love them. Juvie colors are bolder than most shrimp I have seen. I moved a lot of my mischlings in with them also, will move the rest of them tomorrow. Seen active!!!!

-Chris

Almost 2 months, well 59 day lol. Ammonia from soil only leeched about 2 weeks. I used cycled filters so it may have helped. Fed with ammonia up till 2 days before. Wanted to be a good biofilm. Left the lights on almost the whole time. They seem to love it no deaths so, far. They shipped well.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

All my shrimp are doing great in this tank, I will have to post some pictures. I think I am going to meet up with Soshrimp in NYC next week and get a few King Kongs and Blue Bolts from him. Will save the stress of shipping and should hold up alot better with the move. I haven't lost any so far and hope to keep it that way!

Meeting Soshrimp in NYC on Tuesday afternoon. I will be picking up some new Taiwan Bees.

3- Blue Bolts

1- Shadow

3- Black King Kong's

2- Panda

-Chris