Shrimple shrimping

Shrimple minded

I hope to put together a sizable update to all of my shrimping up soon.......just got an external flash/tripod/extension-tube so I'm trying to get some decent photos first.

The black lava rocks are from ebay (search for large ones)......I've bought them 2x I like them so much.  Inert, tons of places for goodies, great for plants.

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to throw together an update forever now, here goes..........

The empty rack space didn't last long, I've added 3 tenners and a 20L to my setup.  Currently I'm running:

• 40 Breeder - TBs/Pintos/Taitibees
  • 10G - Mischlings/Tangerine Tigers
  • 10G - Blue Dreams
  • 10G - Blue Velvets
  • 20L - Floaters, grow-out, breeder boxes for culls
  • 12G Fluval Edge - recently reset and currently cycling

My fissidens journey is still not complete but I've learned much along the way.  After trying 100 different variables but never the right one, I think I finally figured out that not enough light was my problem.  It has taken me a long time to realize that "slow-growers" still need to grow at a fast enough rate that they outpace mulm/fuzz/algae.  Below are some pictures taken over the last few months.

40 Breeder - TBs/Pintos/Taitibees

vq2n1i.jpg

10G - Mischlings/Tangerine Tigers

2mnky80.jpg

10G - Blue Dreams and 10G - Blue Velvets

3se3o.jpg

10G - Blue Dreams

2dininr.jpg

20L - Floaters, grow-out, breeder boxes for culls

287nes3.jpg

RACK

16gn2ag.jpg

12G Fluval Edge

34smt4z.jpg

2zsnuip.jpg

103xz7d.jpg

i2qdty.jpg

6ynnts.jpg

2vty8gj.jpg

34ootip.jpg

ohqm48.jpg

nfmvk4.jpg

5txjwm.jpg

I'll end with my latest surprise.........there was a time when all i wanted in shrimp was a blue jelly.  Imagine my excitement when I found this guy..........I don't even care if the magic doesn't last, I've had my day in the sun.  I'm in need of extreme genes anyhow :)

11iz7ed.jpg

htuurq.jpg

Tanks and pictures look great! Really like the Red Bolt, is it a cross, can you share the secret?

What breeder box are you using? 

7 hours ago, fernselvis said:

Hi shrimple minded. The images don't seem to load on Tapatalk. I also sent you a pm did you receive it. I'm using Tapatalk so not sure if it went through.

Elvis

Sent from Tapatalk

Hmmm, not sure how to resolve that........I have issues downloading all pics through Tapatalk as well.  Strangely, I don't see your PM either..........?

28 minutes ago, DETAquarium said:

Tanks and pictures look great! Really like the Red Bolt, is it a cross, can you share the secret?

What breeder box are you using? 

That's the aforementioned Ziss BL-2

24 minutes ago, Maurice said:

Awesome shrimp and great looking tank you have there

Thanks Maurice!  

13 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

That's the aforementioned Ziss BL-2

I should of clarified, I was referring to the box outside of the tank.

As far as I read on the Internet the marina box is used a lot out side the tank for shrimp. I have dolphin breeder box 11 which hangs outside the tanks with an attachment to connect an airline for water. Flow but I found that bio film ish stuff builds up soon where the water flows into the tank. 89b0cd290d02656576424595e4aec3b9.jpg

Elvis

Sent from Tapatalk

68a8f8aaa6bd1d0075eb16c62a89ac89.jpg

Looks identical to the Marina Hang-On-Back/external breeder box. Same issue with the little grating out/overflow getting clogged up. You can put a sponge/foam block there instead so it doesn't clog as fast. Can be a bit loud too with the air bubbles spitting out of the uplift tubes (you can slow down the air to make it quiet, but then circulation within the breeder box is pretty weak).

Anyone found a easy way to silence these things? I've seen some youtube DIY videos, but ehh..

8 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

I should of clarified, I was referring to the box outside of the tank.

Ah, yes that is a large Marina box, and inside the 20L is a small "eBay" box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161940362743?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

23 minutes ago, Vpier said:

The Marina can be made to run fairly quite by adding an air stone to it. I do this by attaching a larger size diameter tube and inserting an air stone inside. my Marina's are no more louder than my sponge filters.

Could I by chance bother you for a photo of this setup?  I just shoved a piece of tubing into the outlet and angled it toward the surface of the water, but I'd love to find a way to incorporate an airstone.

3 hours ago, Shrimple minded said:

Could I by chance bother you for a photo of this setup?  I just shoved a piece of tubing into the outlet and angled it toward the surface of the water, but I'd love to find a way to incorporate an airstone.

No problem but I have to wait a couple of hours for my wife to get home so I can use her phone, my phone sucks at taking pictures.