Gotta catch them all!

Pokeshrimp

It all started when we took my daughter to the aquarium 5 months ago, she loved fish so we went to the pet store and bought a 10 gallon and 8 plates/mollies. Half of them died a week later and I was on the google machine for some answers. Found out about planted tanks and I was amazed at how good some of them looked. And thus started my addiction. With plants of course comes algae (especially when you have no idea what your doing) so I looked up how to battle algae and came across the gateway shrimp, RCS. I ordered 10 from the shrimp farm and was pretty excited to get them, I soon found myself more entertained by the shrimp than i did with the fish. Lucky for me my son is at the age where everything he can fit in his hand is a drumstick and everything a drum. He managed to crack the tank just enough to where it needed to be replaced. Just in time for petco's $1 sale, I managed to convince the wife to get a 40b and 20L. The 40b is now my planted/cull tank and the 20L is the RCS tank. Also picked up two more 10 gallons for blue pearls and OEBT. I think I still have room for a cube tank and maybe one more 10 in my shrimp cave aka the laundry room. I read all these journals now and regret my layout but I never knew this was going to be my new hobby. 

Right now the plan for the RCS tank is to keep them reproducing and sell them locally to get more tanks/shrimp. The blue pearls, once I get them to breed, I plan to start selectively breeding the nifty red tiger stripes that show up on some of them, not sure if that can be done in 3.5 years but I'll give it a shot. Not much planed for the OEBTs yet, just wanting a ton of them cause they look cool. I'm planning to get some low grade bees in the future once I can get the water parameters they need and keep them stable, without buying an RO unit or active substrate. From what I've read this is not really possible but bee shrimp are too cool to not give it a try. 

Here's my sad shrimp rack.
post-2953-0-42535200-1446240100_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Finally stopped being cheap and ordered a RO unit, plans for more tanks and bee shrimp are in the works. One of my blue pearls is finally berried and i got in some tangerine tigers for them as tank mates. Got some CRS sold to me as "high ph low grade" for my RCS tank. They're my wife's favorite she calls them candy cane shrimp. Got some OEBT culls and they seem to be slow growers, hopefully they starr popping babies and fill up the tank cause it looks empty most of the time.

We are happy you found the craze, I think we all followed down a similar path to get us to this point. 

• 3 weeks later...

1a11858762be33dd238c02c1157616fa.jpg

Started cycling my first TB tank! Brightwell substrate will be getting here in two weeks or so but i figured the sooner i get the tank cycled the sooner i can get TBs. My blue pearls gave birth to the first batch of shrimplets and the tangerine tigers in the same tank got their first berry. Seen a couple of molts in my OEBT tank so hopefully I'll find a berried one soon. Thinking about turning my 20L RCS tank into a cardina mix tank. Maybe toss all my culls in there and see what happens lol.

Lol he has no idea just yet.....he's far from returning.....welcome to the hobby/life of a aquarium keeper.

Stick to shrimp or you'll be like me with as many fish tanks as shrimp tanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

30714bab22419a1370873e8b829f1101.jpg

Dirtsplosion! I guess MTS don't bury deep enough to release all the gas in the dirt. Shrimp don't seem to care they're all over that stuff. Hopefully my newly hatched CRS babies won't be harmed by this. Probably gonna do a 30% water change and start poking my substrate daily.

Getting some golden mischlings from shrimpscales soon pretty excited to finally start using the TB tank.

• 4 years later...

Time flies! I moved last summer and haven't had a proper shrimp tank in years. Finally had time to set up some tanks at the new house but I'm on a super thin budget and reusing alot of stuff I've been collecting over the years. The tanks are a hot mess mostly because they were quickly moved from a 40b into two 10g and then quickly neglected while i was busy with other things. The shrimp are descendants of the same colony I started with 5 years ago. I brought to them with me when I moved from NM to CA. 

The plan is to get some plants and clean it up, while still keeping it a basic low tech. The third tank is gonna be filled with blue dreams a friend is sending over a d the substrate is just washed rocks from my backyard. 

15881138975464793439832360093993.jpg

15881139330125276410908735090601.jpg

1588113956262181649104928415751.jpg

15881139695121059661541368318919.jpg

Man I’ve been researching A few RO Units that are in my price range and can filter an adequate amount of water daily. But I still don’t have enough tanks to justify doing it, plus the tap water here really isn’t to bad to start with!