My First Shrimpy Tanky

eternalc

Finally after so much readings into shrimpy thing, i decided to start one. went to my local aquatic pet store and talked to the owner of what kind of tank i wanted.

BR2OaVn.jpg

this is the initial setup that we came up with. the drift wood will be eventually tied with moss, on the top middle perhaps some stem plants, and the bottom right some carpet plant.

so we used amazonia as first layer, then scattered some bacterial powder on it, and top it off with another layer of amazonia. poured some purify on top of it. and let it dry cycle for 3 days.

stones and driftwood to be put in after 3 days.

so back at home, a day before putting in the stones and driftwood, i washed them and soaked them in water for a day.

jzl1Is8.jpg

this is what it looks like after water had been put in. i made a little adjustment on the stones placement. now the waiting game begins. 21 days of cycle before i tie the moss on the drift wood and putting some carpet plant, probably fissiden fontanus. lights will be around 6 hours per day.

I think moss around the rocks will also look nice but why only 6 hours of light ?

I ask since you are adding carpet type plants .

6 hours is only during cycling days. 

after the plant goes down perhaps might increase it to 8 or 12

6 hours now is to minimize algae growth for now since there's no plant inside yet

suggestions are welcomed though :)

6 hours is only during cycling days. 

after the plant goes down perhaps might increase it to 8 or 12

6 hours now is to minimize algae growth for now since there's no plant inside yet

suggestions are welcomed though :)

Aquariumlover10 made a great point as far as adding plants now .  Tank doesn't have to be cycled for plants if anything they help cycle the tank and do well .

that looks great, its best to get plants during a cycle as the excess of nutrients helps them root in.

what light do you have?

hi! thanks for the input. my main reason for not putting plants in is to avoid algae since i'm not changing the water for at least 3 weeks. 

but if there's no problem in that, i might consider putting in plants earlier. plants that i have in thoughts are fissiden fontanus and mini stem plants, those that do not require co2.

i'm using this Deebow Dee-45 18w LED lighting. 32 LED bulbs, options for 16 bulbs or 32 bulbs at a time.

Congratulations on your first shrimp tank! Any thoughts on shrimp?

thanks! i'll be starting with RCS or some blues to begin with. and venture into others along the line in the future :D

Aquariumlover10 made a great point as far as adding plants now .  Tank doesn't have to be cycled for plants if anything they help cycle the tank and do well .

even if i dont change the water for 3 weeks? 

ok, during the cycle you only change water when it done, and that's a major pwc, but that's it.

with only 6 hours a day you'll be fine with algae, but I would do 8 hours a day.

you will see some brown algae called diatoms, these are normal and harmless, some ottos will eat them or they will just go away after awhile, but don't get a Otto unless you have a very well established tank with alot of algae, they eat aton of algae and should have blanched zucchini now and then.

ok, during the cycle you only change water when it done, and that's a major pwc, but that's it.

with only 6 hours a day you'll be fine with algae, but I would do 8 hours a day.

you will see some brown algae called diatoms, these are normal and harmless, some ottos will eat them or they will just go away after awhile, but don't get a Otto unless you have a very well established tank with alot of algae, they eat aton of algae and should have blanched zucchini now and then.

ok, 8 hours a day noted. yup, major wc after 3 weeks.

so the question now is, to put or not to put plants now? hahaha

I would, especially if they are carpet plants, they will root in better with the extra nutrients and nothing to move them around.

be sure to trim like 1/4 of the roots before planting, itsmakes the plants focus on growing roots

noted. so things like ammonia nitrites nitrates would not affect them?

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys. its been a while since. 

so after 3 weeks, i did a 50% water change. tested for ammonia, with good readings. then i added in some "wizard water" aka water conditioner and let it cycle for another day to let the minerals break down.

so the day after, i tested the water again for ammonia, with good reading. ph was 8, kh and gh is good too. time to put some commando shrimp in!

so i got myself 4 velvet blue shrimp and a fissiden tied to a rock. 

basically this is what my tank looks like now

PhGl5yV.jpg

the white thingy on the drift wood there is fungus, which is harmless for the shrimp. after a while it will turn into green algae which the shrimp would eat. i'm planning to tie some moss on it after the fungus settles down and get eaten.

then there's the big ass glass bowl at the bottom left for the food section. yeah i know its kinda big but thats the best i could find here. for a $1 it aint that bad. 

on the right there's the fissiden tied on a rock. 

introducing the family members!

8haXDIo.jpg

UzT6V2W.jpg

i think this is a female? i still cant really get to know how to differentiate male and female. the seller says one of them are going to be berried soon from the look of the yellowish thing at the back of their head. this one kept going around the tank when i put them down. 

LoMOhDy.jpg

this is a guy that i can be sure of, since the size is smaller than the female.

U3QOKde.jpg

i'm not sure what sex this one is. it has been very quiet when i drop it down. not much moving.

YXdWHMF.jpg

i guess this is another female too?

this morning i checked on them and could only saw 2 of them, the rest must be hiding somewhere. if everything is find, gonna add on another batch after a few days time.

Are you drip acclimating them?

i didnt did the drip acclimating. instead i do it by pouring in the water slowly over few times.

example, i pour in about 15% amount of the water slowly and let it rest for a while before doing it again for few times. after that i let them go into my tank

Blue Velvets? Tank looks like it has matured very well. As Soothing suggested I would use the drip acclimation method as it ensures a slow gradual change in water parameters for your new shrimp members.

another quick update. while i was gazing at my shrimps, i noticed 2 things.

1. there's some micro organism crawling on the glass wall of the tank. only moves after awhile and not far from each point. shaped like a bug but on a micro scale. and it moves pretty fast too.

2. another micro organism which is slightly smaller than the one above. but this one move around a lot more and can even jump on the substrates. yes, it jumped. a few times too. 

anyone have these experience before?

another quick update. while i was gazing at my shrimps, i noticed 2 things.

1. there's some micro organism crawling on the glass wall of the tank. only moves after awhile and not far from each point. shaped like a bug but on a micro scale. and it moves pretty fast too.

2. another micro organism which is slightly smaller than the one above. but this one move around a lot more and can even jump on the substrates. yes, it jumped. a few times too. 

anyone have these experience before?

I wouldn't worry unless they're planaria. It very common to have worms and other little creatures.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/440-types-of-aquarium-worms/

I wouldn't worry unless they're planaria. It very common to have worms and other little creatures.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/440-types-of-aquarium-worms/

i see. i have done quite lot of readings but so far i have read are all about the planaria and a few others. never knew there were so many types though. i'll be glad as long as they are not anything harmful to the shrimp, as i'm planning to add more in a few days time

hi! thanks for the input. my main reason for not putting plants in is to avoid algae since i'm not changing the water for at least 3 weeks.

but if there's no problem in that, i might consider putting in plants earlier. plants that i have in thoughts are fissiden fontanus and mini stem plants, those that do not require co2.

i'm using this Deebow Dee-45 18w LED lighting. 32 LED bulbs, options for 16 bulbs or 32 bulbs at a time.

thanks! i'll be starting with RCS or some blues to begin with. and venture into others along the line in the future :D

even if i dont change the water for 3 weeks?

Plants won't mind if you don't do any WC. But even during a cycle it's good too do weekly waterchanges. Doesn't hurt anything and gets you in the habit of doing them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

noted. will do that for my next batch of shrimps :)

Drip acclimation for any shrimp, fish, snails is a must!

Plants won't mind if you don't do any WC. But even during a cycle it's good too do weekly waterchanges. Doesn't hurt anything and gets you in the habit of doing them.

cool. noted :)

just wanna try a different approach in cycling the tank :P

Drip acclimation for any shrimp, fish, snails is a must!

yeah.. will do that for the next batch :)